MIDI files and copyrights

Author
msr
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 250
2009/02/20 12:26:13 (permalink)

MIDI files and copyrights

I write a lot of MIDI files and use them as back tracks when I perform. I am curious as to what the licensing issues would be if I decided I wanted to sell some of my files. These would be for cover songs so I would think the copyright and licensing requirements would be similar to mechanical licensing for CDs and downloads. Any help in tracking down a good source of info would be appreciated.

thanks,

msr

Equipment: 2.66 GHz Dual Core Pentium D, 2GB SDRAM, 160GB SATA2 HD, 250GB SATA2 HD, Win 7 Pro, Sonar X2 Producer, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 

2 Replies Related Threads

Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: MIDI files and copyrights 2009/02/20 13:36:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: msr

I would think the copyright and licensing requirements would be similar to mechanical licensing for CDs and downloads.

Exactly the same...in the UK too, you or the venue will have to pay the PRS when you use them in a public performance, just as you would if you are performing covers live.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: MIDI files and copyrights 2009/02/21 10:10:31 (permalink)
    Yes... I think if you release them as songs on a CD... you would need to pay the appropriate copyright licensing fees...to do it legally. All you are doing is making a different arrangement of the song.... but it's a copyrighted song. So yes... you would need to pay up.

I played (for a short time...couldn't stand the music... tuxedo's in country clubs) with a guy who had recorded a copyrighted song onto a 45rpm record.... he used to sell it at gigs..... not very wise, and he knew he was doing it illegally.... duhhhhhh! He was such an unknown....still is.... never got caught.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/02/21 10:16:12

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1