MIDI note# and names

Author
BretB
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 508
2011/01/07 11:29:25 (permalink)

MIDI note# and names

I am trying to build a new drum map to go between my Yamaha DTXpress IV kit - Sonar X1 - Steven Slate Drums 3.5.  I have noticed that note # and note might not match with each device.  For example, snare triggers 38/D1 from my kit, Sonar drum map shows 38/D3, SSD doesn't reference any note number looking at the their "key mapping" chart but lists the snare as D1.  I assume that the important thing is the note and not the number?  Maybe I am just to confused to even know how to ask the question properly.  Can I be helped.  I am trying to create a spreadsheet to document this prior to building the drum map.  Thanks in advance.

Sonar Platinum - A&H ZED R16 - KRK VXT4's - Yamaha DTXpress IV & Gretsch Catalina Maple kits

"Music is what feelings sound like"
https://soundcloud.com/bret575b

6 Replies Related Threads

S.Wallis
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 269
    Re:MIDI note# and names 2011/01/07 17:40:26 (permalink)
    I don't completly understand what you mean, but as no one else has replied yet i'll have a go...

I think what you're coming across is that not every company uses the same midi numbers to trigger specific drums. For example, SSD may trigger a snare on midi note number 38 (which is D3) and some other company may trigger a snare on a different note (for whatever reason  - generally it's becasue it's a big drum maschine that features more drums and percussion than a standard 5 piece drum kit does).

I don't know why the Yamaha is saying that D1 is midi number 38, becasue it isn't. Here's the correct midi note/numbers.

D1 is midi number 14
    D2 is midi number 26
    D3 is midi number 38
    etc...

I havn't really been much help, but it seems to me that you need to create a 'custom drum map' inside X1. I'm not sure how to do it, but i know there's guides on the forum somewhere. If you search for custom drum maps i'm sure you'll find something.

Hopefully that helps.
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:MIDI note# and names 2011/01/07 17:55:43 (permalink)
    I found this on cakewalk that might help clarify your problem.

"MIDI note ranges can vary amongst manufactures. Specifically, it is the MIDI base octave for pitches. Some ranges may begin at -C2 while others might begin at C1. A common side effect can be observed when sequencing with drum instruments. For example, the instrument might internally label a drum sound "Kick1" as being located at C3, where as the MIDI sequencer (i.e.,Kinetic, SONAR, etc) appear to trigger that note using C4.

Different MIDI note ranges DO NOT transpose the note event between applications. In other words, the instrument will sound the same whether played in project5, Kinetic, SONAR or any other MIDI sequencer application."

When using SONAR, a convenient solution for aligning MIDI notes to the instrument's advertised values is to set SONAR's MIDI Base Octave For Pitches. You can do this in options- Global-MIDI Base Octave For Pitches. 

http://www.cakewalk.com/s...Reader.aspx?ID=2004207
    BretB
    Re:MIDI note# and names 2011/01/07 17:56:44 (permalink)
    Actually building the drum map seems to be a fairly simple process.  I guess I have seen several lists and and they didn't always match MIDI number to MIDI note.  It could be that the Yamaha list I have is wrong.  The SSD keymapping shows no numbers, only notes.

Sonar Platinum - A&H ZED R16 - KRK VXT4's - Yamaha DTXpress IV & Gretsch Catalina Maple kits

BretB
    Re:MIDI note# and names 2011/01/11 22:53:08 (permalink)
    My drum kit MIDI output assignments appear to be off.  As an example, my snare is 38/D1.  I need D1 but according to the real MIDI lists, #38 is D3.  If I dial the drum module down to #14 it shows D-1.  I can find no settings to change this.  Does this appear to be a Yamaha problem or "cockpit error"?

Chappel, I think I am starting to smell what you are stepping in.  I will give that a try now that I understand it more.
    post edited by BretB - 2011/01/12 12:33:55

BretB
    Re:MIDI note# and names 2011/01/17 14:51:02 (permalink)
    Chappel

When using SONAR, a convenient solution for aligning MIDI notes to the instrument's advertised values is to set SONAR's MIDI Base Octave For Pitches. You can do this in options- Global-MIDI Base Octave For Pitches.

I changed mine to -2 and it worked.  There should be a MIDI standard for this but I guess there isn't.  Thanks again.

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:MIDI note# and names 2011/01/17 15:35:45 (permalink)
    I'm glad that info was useful. When they created the General Midi standard together they should have called it MGM. Mostly General Midi. It's been like that from the beginning.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1