MIDI sustain without a pedal

Author
Xspringe
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 66
2005/06/05 12:53:25 (permalink)

MIDI sustain without a pedal

Hello everyone!

I currently do not have a MIDI-sustain pedal available, but I would still like to be able to play and program the midi sustain info into Sonar. Is it possible to bind the MIDI command associated to sustain toa keyboard shortcut? Or are there other ways to go about this?

I'd like to know how other people on this forum who do things like piano recording or programming work in Sonar without using a sustain pedal. Thanks!

3 Replies Related Threads

RTGraham
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1824
    RE: MIDI sustain without a pedal 2005/06/05 13:06:38 (permalink)
    I've never bound sustain to a keyboard command, but I have used a couple of keyboards (especially on the road) that had buttons for sustain instead of taking a pedal input.

Cheap footswitch-style sustain pedals can be had for $10 or less, though - if that's just too expensive, or if you don't have access to a decent music store, then you could do something like record mod wheel movements where you want sustain, and then apply an Interpolate to the data (check the manual if you're unfamiliar with the feature) to change all the values to either "On" (127) or "Off" (0), and convert the controller number from 1 (mod wheel) to 64 (sustain pedal).

Or perhaps someone else here will think of a more elegant / efficient solution.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Russell T. Graham
    Keys, Vocals, Songwriting, Production
    russell DOT graham AT rtgproductions DOT com
    www DOT myspace DOT com SLASH russelltgraham
    Xspringe
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: MIDI sustain without a pedal 2005/06/05 13:10:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RTGraham

I've never bound sustain to a keyboard command, but I have used a couple of keyboards (especially on the road) that had buttons for sustain instead of taking a pedal input.

Cheap footswitch-style sustain pedals can be had for $10 or less, though - if that's just too expensive, or if you don't have access to a decent music store, then you could do something like record mod wheel movements where you want sustain, and then apply an Interpolate to the data (check the manual if you're unfamiliar with the feature) to change all the values to either "On" (127) or "Off" (0), and convert the controller number from 1 (mod wheel) to 64 (sustain pedal).

Or perhaps someone else here will think of a more elegant / efficient solution.

I've ordered a sustain pedal. But it's going to take a while to arrive here... So I am looking for a solution in the meantime.
    Thank you for your input, I will try the interpolate command tonight. I think I'll try to bind one of the rarely-if-ever used keys on my midi keyboard to the sustain command.
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: MIDI sustain without a pedal 2005/06/05 16:47:21 (permalink)
    Sustain Pedal is MIDI Control # 64. It can have a value of 0 or 127. (off or on)

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1