MIDI sync (I think) or timing master or...

Author
adriane ohno
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 23
2008/10/01 16:28:13 (permalink)

MIDI sync (I think) or timing master or...

hello everyone,
i need advise on the midi-clock thing: meaning how/what do i choose for my timing master (i think that's what it's called).here's what i've done to realize i have a problem. i use the m-audio black box as my usb-audio interface. it is a usb-audio-midi connection. i have 2 external drum machines. i do not use them in the straight-forward midi'd way though, since i go thru the black box. there are midi ports on the black box, but i don't use them (i don't really "get" midi so much.) so when recording drum tracks, i use the audio out of drum machine to the audio in of the black box. the problem is that the drum tracks are in no way related to the measures in the tracks, which i think is necessary to do any editing in music creator, right? like copying/pasting/moving measures. since the drum tracks come in as audio, i think, how do i get them to match up to the measures set up in MC4? i know all things midid need to be synced to each other, or some master timing clock/controller, correct?
please ask if this isn't clear enough! i don't want to go much further recording tracks if it's going to be a nightmare like i think it will!
thanks,
Adriane

Sonar X2 Studio,  Gigabyte laptop (i7 quad-core 2.30 Ghz, 16 gb ram, Win 7 - 64-bit, 128 gb SSD primary drive, 750 gb hybrid drive, Invidia Geforce GTX 2 gb video card, 2 extra exhaust ports (really!), M-Audio Black Box usb audio interface, Akai MPK laptop production keyboard, M-Audio Oxygen 8 keyboard, Alesis SR16 drum machine,Roland Octopad, Casio RZ1 drum machine,various analog Casio & Roland synths,  various guitars & basses.

3 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: MIDI sync (I think) or timing master or... 2008/10/01 16:45:38 (permalink)
    I also have an Alesis SR-16, and am just beginning to integrate it into my Cakewalk sequencer. If I were you I would connect the MIDI from the -16 to your black box. Editing MIDI is so much easier.
    I am working on a song now using the Alesis, and it was a struggle to understand the manual and the MIDI set-up, but I think I've got it now. The main problem was trying to get SHS 6 to play the sounds of the drum set I wanted to use instead of the default kit. I think I have that licked as well, but I'm not sure I can tell you how I did it, since I'm not even sure.
    There is a 'MIDI set-up' button on the SR-16, and the manual describes how to best configure it depending on what you want to do. I connected the MIDI in from my interface, and didn't connect the MIDI out. I wrote the MIDI drum track using one of the SR-16 drum maps in Sonar Home Studio 6, found the right combimation of patches, somehow, had SHS play the SR-16 and recorded it's audio into SHS. Kinda complicated, but if you use this method, you want MC to be the timing master. If you want the Alesis to control the timing, then you would select it as the master, but I don't know how that would work, either.
    There are a couple forums for the SR-16 on Yahoo, I registered in the "SR-16 Addicts" forum, but their advice is spotty at best, not nearly as active as this forum. There are others, but they are very spammy.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: MIDI sync (I think) or timing master or... 2008/10/01 16:46:51 (permalink)
    Adriane, if you're not recording MIDI, then you can't use MIDI sync, so that doesn't apply if you're recording AUDIO from your drum machines. however, are you trying to record them both at the same time? if so, you may need to try to sync them together before trying to record them. in order to do that, you'd have to read the manuals of each of the machines to figure out how to sync them together - that would be completely external to MC.

if you're not trying to use them at the same time, but are recording AUDIO out from one of them at a time and are not in sync with the music already recorded in MC, then that would be due to latency/driver problems. I don't know anything about the m-audio black box, but I would assume it should come with decent drivers. however, if you're using the default WDM driver mode, then you might have settings incorrect which are using your onboard soundcard as timing masters.

try changing to ASIO driver mode and that should solve that problem if that's what your sitation is. OPTIONS>AUDIO>ADVANCED>DRIVER MODE = ASIO
    close and restart MC

however, if you're trying to record both drum machines at the same time, then you'll have to hook up one of them to the other using the MIDI cables and find out from the manuals how to sync them.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: MIDI sync (I think) or timing master or... 2008/10/01 17:36:57 (permalink)
    Beagle's right if that's what you're trying to do. The Alesis has a 'MIDI Out/Thru' port which allows you to daisy-chain MIDI devices together, the manual can tell you more about that than I can. But then you would have to set one of the MIDI devices to be the master.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1