MIDI to Audio

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
glenn63
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: MIDI to Audio 2005/07/12 22:59:12 (permalink)
Yeah...I kinda mentioned the "M" word many moons ago and got yelled at. That'll teach me.
sinc
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3116
RE: MIDI to Audio 2005/07/13 00:01:49 (permalink)

No, I have cables runnin from my Motif's Outs to my EMU's Ins, not my EMU's Outs so that isn't the case, but yeah, I'll read up on my EMU manual to see about the routing to see if that can fix my problem.

You are probably using direct monitoring.

That means that the signal goes, inside the soundcard, straight from the input to the output. Thus the suggestion that it isn't going to Sonar at all.

The Emu mixer is called Patchmix DSP. You should probably be running Sonar in ASIO mode (although WDM works in a limited way).

Further instructions for setting up Patchmix can be found at this site. In particular, look at how to setup a stereo signal in ASIO mode.
davidchristopher
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1360
RE: MIDI to Audio 2005/07/13 01:02:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: seoulproductions

ORIGINAL: dreamkeeper
No, I meant the audio from your Motif may be routed inside the EMU directly to the audio outs, thus not getting into Sonar at all. You should check your EMU manual to learn about routing options.

No, I have cables runnin from my Motif's Outs to my EMU's Ins, not my EMU's Outs so that isn't the case, but yeah, I'll read up on my EMU manual to see about the routing to see if that can fix my problem.

And Jazz, everybody was new once.

I sure hope you're planning to buy these guys a round of drinks when it's all set up and working

The manual is on the 'net:

emu.com 1212 manual. Chapter 7 will most likely be of great use to you, as it discusses patching and recording. Page 103 of 140 is specific to Sonar (well, it's v3, but that's close enough). Seems to be a lot of cubase information in there, it must come bundled with it or something. Most of it will probably apply to Sonar- but you'll need to 'read up' on how to do it in Sonar- ie bussing, arming the tracks and so on.

and I also wanted to drop these links at you, for your reading pleasure:

Midi Tutorial at Harmony Central
Homerecording.com - a good place if you're green as summer clover
"YOUR FIRST MIDI RECORDING" ok, it's old, but it might be worthy of a glance

I'm not trying to be condecending or anything, but I thought they might be helpful to you.

David Bistolas
www.bistolas.net
sani
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 300
RE: MIDI to Audio 2005/07/13 06:08:38 (permalink)
First:

Make a audiotrack in Sonar, make the right settings regarding your soundcard, to be sure that the audio side of Sonar is working.
Try to load a wave into sonar and see if it plays thru your monitors. If it does, you can be pretty much sure that this aspect of Sonar is working.

Arm the audiotrack, the level meter should now be senzible to an incoming audiosignal. If your motif's audio outputs are connected to the line in of your soundcard, I suggest you to start a demo song (there is sure one inside of the motif). The level meters in sonars record-armed audiotrack should react now. If not then there is a problem with the soundcard settings.
If they react and you see an incoming audiosignal, you are able to record it.

Now for the midi connections. This is the only way it should be done:

Your keystation is connected to your computer via usb. In sonar on a miditrack your keystation should appear on the inputs with a name. This means that sonar is recognising your midicontroller as an appropriate midi device and that sonar will record any incoming midi instruction. Look under the options menu and make the right settings about your mididevices in the midi menu (move your keystation device to top - this is an option)

The important part is that you should connect the midi out of your soundcard to midi in of your motif!

This is very important. The rest is simple: on a miditrack as your input device select the keystation, as an output device select your soundcard. Sonar will route the incoming midisignals directly to your motif via the midi out of your soundcard.

How to record midi to audio was explained earlier in this topic.

I have my Keystation's MIDI OUT running into my Motif's MIDI IN and also I have my Keystation connected directly to my computer with a USB cord.

Wrong and unnecessary, because there is no direct connection between sonar and your motif. In your way it maybe works if sonar sends midi back to the Keystation and the keystation puts the incoming signal further to its midioutput (where motif is connected. This would be a kind of an echofunction. The manual probably explains it. See my post above about the midiconnection.

Then I have my Motif's MIDI OUT into my sound card's MIDI IN

This is also wrong. You have a soundmodule. It is there to produce the sound that you hear and that you will record as audio. The midi is actually recorded from your keystation.

and also I have my Motif directly connected to my computer with a USB cord

You don't have to fill every hole . The usb connection on the motif serves as a midi output. Disconnect it because the motif should not send any mididata to sonar.

Then, my Motif's L/R Outputs are connected into my soundcard's L/R Inputs. Then my monitors are running through my soundcards L/R Outputs. And just to let you know my soundcard is an EMU 1212m.

Well done, this is the only right connection in your setup!

Above all, try to get some knowledge about midi, what it does and the basics about the connections. Connecting every output and input without knowing what it does is missleading.
seoulproductions
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 46
RE: MIDI to Audio 2005/07/13 19:44:51 (permalink)
Wow, finally got this thing working. Big ups to sani, I had my routing of my Keystation, Motif, and EMU all wrong, big ups to Loop and WFTurner for not giving up on me, big ups to David Christopher for givin me the link to the manual and those other links I got to read up on, I didn't have my ASIO set up right which was the main reason it wasn't working. And no big ups to that Gypsy dude. Thanks, I can finally get my first beat done and out. Peace.
GypsyJazz
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: MIDI to Audio 2005/07/13 22:01:21 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: seoulproductions
.......And no big ups to that Gypsy dude.

Thanks, I can finally get my first beat done and out. Peace.

post edited by GypsyJazz - 2005/07/13 22:20:22
billruys
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 852
RE: MIDI to Audio 2005/07/14 01:15:30 (permalink)
Wow, finally got this thing working.

That is fantastic news. I was worried you'd never get it sorted! I think I'll thow a party in celebration
Mooch4056
Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7494
RE: MIDI to Audio 2005/07/14 01:27:58 (permalink)
WTH?!?

I did as you said and it still doesn't get the MIDI sounds, it only gets the actual audio data into one track.

Alright..

1. I selected all my tracks in my project that I want to mix down
2. Right clicked and checked Arm for Automation
3. Clicked edit and scrolled down to Bounce to Tracks
4. I chose the Destination as a New Track that wasn't used
5. Tried all of them as the Source Category
6. Chose Stereo as Channel Format
7. Had everything checked at the bottom
8. Hit Ok

Then after it was done, I soloed the new mixed downed tracks and no MIDI for example, my Fanfare, BigSymphny, etc. All I could hear were my drums and bass which I made in Fruity.

I had the same problem -- make sure that u not only have the midi tracks selected to be set as an audio wave but also MAKE SURE THE DXI (cakewalk tts-1) IS SELECTED AS WELL to be exported or bounced to audio tracks ... and that fixed it for me.....if that don't work then I dunno-- sorry
post edited by Mooch4056 - 2005/07/14 01:33:31

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

seoulproductions
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 46
RE: MIDI to Audio 2005/07/14 08:02:50 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: billruys

Wow, finally got this thing working.

That is fantastic news. I was worried you'd never get it sorted! I think I'll thow a party in celebration

Haha, yeah.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1