MIDI with WK 3500 Casio

Author
dapoeso@yahoo.co.uk
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2004/08/13 13:35:22 (permalink)

MIDI with WK 3500 Casio

Hi.
I'm a new user to sonar 3.1, I'm trying to get a midi connection with my keyboard WK3500 casio. Everytime i record and try to play back i don't hear anything. the midi light shows that its getting signals from the keyboard but no output fron sonar. any thing i'm doing wrong here. Thanks for any useful suggestions.

4 Replies Related Threads

torhan
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4271
    RE: MIDI with WK 3500 Casio 2004/08/13 13:44:06 (permalink)
    Let's cover the basics:

1. In the midi track, have you properly selected the port/midi channel which is connected to the casio?
    2. You have an audio out from the casio back into Sonar?
    3. This audio track is assigned to the proper input/outputs?
    4. Are you recording audio or midi?
    < Message edited by torhan -- 8/13/2004 1:45:32 PM >

Sonar Platinum
    Premier Tracks
    ASCAP
    LoopJunkie
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2466
    RE: MIDI with WK 3500 Casio 2004/08/13 13:46:09 (permalink)
    Do you want hear playback of your recording on the CASIO? Do you intend to hear your MIDI played back via your soundcard?
    What's your signal flow? Did you connect both MIDI out and in to and from the CASIO to your PC? Did you assign the correct port/channel to your MIDI track? How is the audio signal flow configured?

Questions, questions ....

Please tell us a tiny bit more about your problem.

loop

funtimesman
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: RE: MIDI with WK 3500 Casio 2010/06/08 15:47:04 (permalink)
    think i am having a similar problem.  basically, i want to output the sounds made by a soft synth, like tts-1 or b4 to my casio privia px330 (it is both a midi controller and hardware synth with onboard speakers).  I want to do this because I like the feeling of playing the privia while the onboard speakers are giving off vibrations, its seems more real to me and seems to help with feel as opposed to playing the sounds made by the soft synth through my pc's speakers.  Is this even possible?  I have been able to get the midi lights icon in taskbar to register when inputting notes.  I can record the notes I play on the privia to a midi track in sonar.  I can get sonar to play back the recorded notes on my privia, HOWEVER, only when I have that midi track input to read privia and output to read privia  (they actually say e-dsp midi port ecoo, which i think is just basically saying in from the emu 1820 midi port that I plugged the privia into and out from the emu midi out port that I sent to plug into my privia in midi port...) when i have output of my midi track set to my midi out (meaning out to my privia) and the channel set on basically anything other than none (for instance set to "general midi" or "channel two" then I can change the patches in sonar for that midi track and hear them play and change on the privia.  That is pretty cool, but I like the sounds of the soft synths I have better and want to hear them on the privia, not just on my computers speakers (i am using the old radio shack minimus 7's as cheap stand ins from ns10's).  can this be done? what am I doing wrong.   I figured the thing to do was set the input in my midi track to my privia and the  output on my midi track to my soft synth of choice, for instance the B4 soft synth.  then I would set the input on the b4 soft synth to the midi track (which was not an option, the only options were "none" and "e-dsp midi port" so i chose midi port and tried the midi omni option) also, in the b4 soft synth track I set the channel to general midi and that seemed to allow for changing the tone playing on the privia slightly when selecting different patches from within the b4 soft synth track's patch browser, but not really that well, ie, what played on the privia did not sound like what played on my pc's speakers from the audio track that i inserted. ..so for this b4 synth track i set the output to privia midi out..the only other options were microsoft wavetable software synth and the software synth.   again, since i wanted it to   I forgot to mention that inserted an audio track (i still don't actually understand why i am supposed to do this.  This whole area just is not intuitive to me, can somebody break it down for me so I can conceptualize what is going on from a macro level?) in accordance with the sonar manual (see pasted below) section "To Play a Soft Synth from a MIDI Controller ".  for this audio track i set the input to the B4 soft synth (stereo) and the output choices did not include my privia midi keyboard, only Emu (my audio interface, which does have midi ports), Emu asio out 1/2 and emu asio out 3/4...)  these choices seem to be outputting to my pc's speakers.  there simply does not seem to be a choice to output, via midi to my privia keyboard and hear the soft synth sounds on my keyboard....maybe that makes sense as that is like asking my computer to send an audio track to a midi instrument?  so should I run an aux 1/4 cable out from my Emu 1820 into the audio in on my privia keyboard and get the soft synth sounds to play on the keyboard's speakers that way?  Again, you might ask, why go to all the trouble and I am feelign that way myself, but wouldn't it be good to hear the soft synths on the keyboards speakers and benefit from the feel and vibrations of playing the privia with the privia's speakers making sound?  It just feel kind of cold and dead when you play the privia but hear the sound through the computers monitors and not through the onboard speakers on the privia....   if you read this far, thank you so much!  I would be soooooo grateful to anyone who will generously share their hard earned expertise with me on this. Thanks,  

To Play a Soft Synth from a MIDI Controller

1.Make sure your controller is set to local off.
    2.Make sure that the Audio Engine button in the Transport toolbar is depressed.
    3.Insert a soft synth into your project (see Inserting Soft Synths, if necessary).
    Note: If you patch a soft synth into a bus that has no audio track assigned to it, the soft synth does not sound. Always use a bus that has at least one audio track sending data to it.
    4.In the MIDI track that sends its output to the soft synth, choose a MIDI channel.
    5.Open the soft synth's interface (if it's not open already) by clicking the Properties button in the Synth Rack view, or by double-clicking the name of the soft synth if it's patched into the FX bin of an audio track.
    Note: You can also open a soft synth's interface by double-clicking its name where it appears in a MIDI track's Out menu or a synth track's In menu.
    6.Set the soft synth's parameters (choose sounds, effects, etc.), and drag its interface out of the way.
    7.If you want to save your soft synth settings, type a name in the Presets field, and click the Disk icon that's next to the Presets field.
    8.Make sure that the MIDI track has the focus (its titlebar is lighter), and play your MIDI controller.
    When you play your MIDI controller you should hear the soft synth through your sound card's outputs. If you don't, make sure you're playing in the right range; a bank, patch, and channel are selected; your monitor speakers or headphones are turned up; your controller is attached to your MIDI interface; and that none of the relevant tracks are muted.
    To Remove A Soft Synth from
    funtimesman
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: RE: MIDI with WK 3500 Casio 2010/06/08 15:54:49 (permalink)
     	  this is a repost but please don't erase it.  the formatting is easier to read on this one, i
    if anything erase the above one with no line breaks thanks,
    think i am having a similar problem.  basically, i want to output the sounds made
     by a soft synth, like tts-1 or b4 to my casio privia px330 (it is both a midi
    controller and hardware synth with onboard speakers). I want to do this because
    I like the feeling of playing the privia while the onboard speakers are giving off
    vibrations, its seems more real to me and seems to help with feel as opposed to
    playing the sounds made by the soft synth through my pc's speakers. Is this even
    possible? I have been able to get the midi lights icon in taskbar to register when
    inputting notes. I can record the notes I play on the privia to a midi track in sonar.
     I can get sonar to play back the recorded notes on my privia, HOWEVER, only when
    I have that midi track input to read privia and output to read privia (they actually
    say e-dsp midi port ecoo, which i think is just basically saying in from the emu 1820
     midi port that I plugged the privia into and out from the emu midi out port that I sent
     to plug into my privia in midi port...) when i have output of my midi track set to my
     midi out (meaning out to my privia) and the channel set on basically anything other
    than none (for instance set to "general midi" or "channel two" then I can change the
    patches in sonar for that midi track and hear them play and change on the privia.
    That is pretty cool, but I like the sounds of the soft synths I have better and want
    to hear them on the privia, not just on my computers speakers (i am using the old radio
    shack minimus 7's as cheap stand ins from ns10's). can this be done? what am I doing

wrong. I figured the thing to do was set the input in my midi track to my privia and the
    output on my midi track to my soft synth of choice, for instance the B4 soft synth.
    then I would set the input on the b4 soft synth to the midi track (which was not an
    option, the only options were "none" and "e-dsp midi port" so i chose midi port and
    tried the midi omni option) also, in the b4 soft synth track I set the channel to
    general midi and that seemed to allow for changing the tone playing on the privia
    slightly when selecting different patches from within the b4 soft synth track's patch
     browser, but not really that well, ie, what played on the privia did not sound like
    what played on my pc's speakers from the audio track that i inserted. ..so for this
    b4 synth track i set the output to privia midi out..the only other options were
    microsoft wavetable software synth and the software synth. again, since i wanted it

to I forgot to mention that inserted an audio track (i still don't actually understand
    why i am supposed to do this. This whole area just is not intuitive to me, can
    somebody break it down for me so I can conceptualize what is going on from a macro
    evel?) in accordance with the sonar manual (see pasted below) section "To Play a Soft
     Synth from a MIDI Controller ". for this audio track i set the input to the B4 soft
    synth (stereo) and the output choices did not include my privia midi keyboard, only Emu (my audio interface, which does have midi ports), Emu asio out 1/2 and emu asio
    out 3/4...) these choices seem to be outputting to my pc's speakers. there simply
    does not seem to be a choice to output, via midi to my privia keyboard and hear the
    soft synth sounds on my keyboard....maybe that makes sense as that is like asking my
    computer to send an audio track to a midi instrument? so should I run an aux 1/4
    cable out from my Emu 1820 into the audio in on my privia keyboard and get the soft
    synth sounds to play on the keyboard's speakers that way? Again, you might ask, why

go to all the trouble and I am feelign that way myself, but wouldn't it be good to
    hear the soft synths on the keyboards speakers and benefit from the feel and vibrations
    of playing the privia with the privia's speakers making sound? It just feel kind of
    cold and dead when you play the privia but hear the sound through the computers
    monitors
     and not through the onboard speakers on the privia.... if you read this far, thank you so much! I would be soooooo grateful to anyone who
    will generously share their hard earned expertise with me on this. Thanks, To Play a Soft Synth from a MIDI Controller 1.Make sure your controller is set to local off. 2.Make sure that the Audio Engine button in the Transport toolbar is depressed. 3.Insert a soft synth into your project (see Inserting Soft Synths, if necessary). Note: If you patch a soft synth into a bus that has no audio track assigned to it,
    the soft synth does not sound. Always use a bus that has at least one audio track
    sending data to it. 4.In the MIDI track that sends its output to the soft synth, choose a MIDI channel. 5.Open the soft synth's interface (if it's not open already) by clicking the Properties
    button in the Synth Rack view, or by double-clicking the name of the soft synth if
    it's patched into the FX bin of an audio track. Note: You can also open a soft synth's interface by double-clicking its name where it
     appears in a MIDI track's Out menu or a synth track's In menu. 6.Set the soft synth's parameters (choose sounds, effects, etc.), and drag its

interface out of the way. 7.If you want to save your soft synth settings, type a name in the Presets field, and
     click the Disk icon that's next to the Presets field. 8.Make sure that the MIDI track has the focus (its titlebar is lighter), and play
    your MIDI controller. When you play your MIDI controller you should hear the soft synth through your sound
    card's outputs. If you don't, make sure you're playing in the right range; a bank,
    patch, and channel are selected; your monitor speakers or headphones are turned up;
    your controller is attached to your MIDI interface; and that none of the relevant
     tracks are muted. To Remove A Soft Synth from
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1