MOTU Ultralite AVB In 1-24 meter pegging.

Author
steveo42
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 90
2016/12/17 13:15:49 (permalink)

MOTU Ultralite AVB In 1-24 meter pegging.

Since there are some MOTU AVB users here I figured I'd ask this question.
I'm having a weird problem with Windows 10 Professional and the MOTU AVB Ultralite both latest drivers and updates.
Nothing is plugged into the MOTU and the only outputs are the Mains.

The Windows Sound Control panel under the "Recording" Tab has the meter for In 1-24 pegged with nothing playing, fresh boot etc.
There is no other indication either in the MOTU Discovery App or the meters on the MOTU.
If I lower the volume the meter will move lower as well.
It seems like some kind of feedback loop. I have "Audio Interface" chosen in the MOTU app and it is default settings.

Now, here is the weird thing.
If I remove the drivers completely, do a fresh install it will not behave like this at least for a short while, and then it will return.

Any ideas?

10 Replies Related Threads

LLyons
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 574
    Re: MOTU Ultralite AVB In 1-24 meter pegging. 2016/12/17 21:58:23 (permalink)
    No ideas, but I can say that I am not experiencing that with thunderbolt or USB. I am running latest firmware on a 1248 and on an AVB switch. I updated windows to current yesterday. My PC is fairly current. The MOTU customer support web system and phone support during regular working hours has been quick the last two tickets I placed. I do hope you get it worked out soon..

L Lyons 
    DOS and Windows Pro Audio 2-9 from 12 Tone, Sonar 2, 2XL, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 8.5, Producer, Producer Expanded, X1 Producer, X2 Producer, X3 Producer and now Sonar Platinum 64 bit - 2nd year
    Home Built Machine
    32G Ram - Corsair Vengeance DDR4 
    Win 10 Pro
    Intel i7-6700K
    Gigabyte Z170-UD5 Thunderbolt3 - AVB ready
    Planar Hellium 27 touchscreen
    Limited connection to internet
    DAW use ONLY
    WAVES 9.2 64 Bit 
    MOTU 1248 - Connect Thunderbolt
    MOTU AVB Switch
    Presonus RM32ai - Connect firewire 800
    CS18ai - Connect AVB
    steveo42
    Re: MOTU Ultralite AVB In 1-24 meter pegging. 2016/12/17 22:16:28 (permalink)
    Thanks for confiming you aren't seeing the same,  L Lyons.. I'm going to poke the MOTU support folks to see if they have any ideas. Seems like a really weird problem to me.

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: MOTU Ultralite AVB In 1-24 meter pegging. 2016/12/18 04:55:32 (permalink)
    steveo42
    The Windows Sound Control panel under the "Recording" Tab has the meter for In 1-24 pegged with nothing playing, fresh boot etc.
    There is no other indication either in the MOTU Discovery App or the meters on the MOTU.
    It seems like some kind of feedback loop. I have "Audio Interface" chosen in the MOTU app and it is default settings.

If I remove the drivers completely, do a fresh install it will not behave like this at least for a short while, and then it will return.

Hi Steve,

I'm afraid I don't fully understand the problem yet ... are you saying some win10 meter indicating an input signal that is not there? what are the implications you get when using it with DAW software?

if it doesn't register on the MOTU webUI, do you hear any of that if you e.g. route individual inputs (with nothing plugged into) to the MOTU headphone output in the MOTU routing matrix?

I will have a look at the later today (not in the studio right now), but cannot remeber seeing anything like that ... what I found interesting, though, when testing options trying to figure out my random record corrutions (see here) that I can completely disable all of MOTU (1-2 and 1-24) in the windows playback and recording device panels and it is still fully recognized and addressable in Sonar.

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    steveo42
    Re: MOTU Ultralite AVB In 1-24 meter pegging. 2016/12/18 11:18:09 (permalink)
    Rob[atSound-Rehab]
    steveo42

Hi Steve,

I'm afraid I don't fully understand the problem yet ... are you saying some win10 meter indicating an input signal that is not there? what are the implications you get when using it with DAW software?

if it doesn't register on the MOTU webUI, do you hear any of that if you e.g. route individual inputs (with nothing plugged into) to the MOTU headphone output in the MOTU routing matrix?

I will have a look at the later today (not in the studio right now), but cannot remeber seeing anything like that ... what I found interesting, though, when testing options trying to figure out my random record corrutions (see here) that I can completely disable all of MOTU (1-2 and 1-24) in the windows playback and recording device panels and it is still fully recognized and addressable in Sonar.

Hi Rob,
    To answer your questions:

1. The Windows Sound Control panel (type sound in the start menu) on the recording tab shows the level meter for In 1-24 pegged green. Full signal. This is from a clean boot with nothing playing, I have System Sounds disabled BTW. I can turn it down with the volume slider but it still sits solid, no bouncing around.

It does not register on the MOTU itself or anywhere in the MOTU discovery app no matter what I route or where I route it.
    I don't hear anything.

2. I disabled the In 1-24 device from the Windows Sound Control Panel just in case.

It's really weird.

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Re: MOTU Ultralite AVB In 1-24 meter pegging. 2016/12/18 16:22:49 (permalink)
    Hi Steve,

It gets even weirder ... I could see that issue when hooking up my mobile DAW to my 2nd 1248; it showed exactly what you described (and I actually made a screen shot) ... windows panel showing signal, but nothing audible or registering in the MOTU webUI, but then I did a few changes to the routing to prepare for what I was actually planning to do in the session (mostly changed the routing of some AVB stream, which you will not be using if you only employ one AVB) and when I checked again it was gone ... and never came back ... I did some reboots just in case, but no more pegging meter ...

BTW, on the main DAW I haven't seen this, despite both units being chained via AVB and sending channels back and forth between the two ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    LLyons
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 574
    Re: MOTU Ultralite AVB In 1-24 meter pegging. 2016/12/19 09:53:17 (permalink)
    I just had an odd one happen too.  It wasn't with MOTU, or windows sound control.  It was with a buss level meter, one I was using for metronome.  I stopped recording and the volume stopped at max and didn't change until I pressed play again.   I still haven't seen what you are seeing, yet.

L Lyons 
    DOS and Windows Pro Audio 2-9 from 12 Tone, Sonar 2, 2XL, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 8.5, Producer, Producer Expanded, X1 Producer, X2 Producer, X3 Producer and now Sonar Platinum 64 bit - 2nd year
    Home Built Machine
    32G Ram - Corsair Vengeance DDR4 
    Win 10 Pro
    Intel i7-6700K
    Gigabyte Z170-UD5 Thunderbolt3 - AVB ready
    Planar Hellium 27 touchscreen
    Limited connection to internet
    DAW use ONLY
    WAVES 9.2 64 Bit 
    MOTU 1248 - Connect Thunderbolt
    MOTU AVB Switch
    Presonus RM32ai - Connect firewire 800
    CS18ai - Connect AVB
    jbraner
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1830
    Re: MOTU Ultralite AVB In 1-24 meter pegging. 2016/12/20 16:31:50 (permalink)
    Hey Steve,

I'm seeing the same thing here on my Ultralite AVB. (recording meter pegged on the "out 1-24" device in Win control panel)
    I see it on my music partition and the "non music" one.
    There is nothing on the Ultralite routing page either. It would show something if there was signal on any of the MOTU inputs.

I've been recording guitar parts all day - and it hasn't affected anything. As far as I know - Windows doesn't even know what to do with that out 1-24 device.
    SONAR does, of course, but it is going through the ASIO driver. Control Panel is just for Windows stuff - and I don't know what Windows progs would see multi outs.

I'm not going to worry about it - and disabling the device is probably a good idea...

John Braner
    https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
    http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
    - Cakewalk by BandLab x64
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    - Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
    - MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
    I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
    er - that's it I think...
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Re: MOTU Ultralite AVB In 1-24 meter pegging. 2016/12/21 01:52:54 (permalink)
    jbraner

I'm not going to worry about it - and disabling the device is probably a good idea...

That's what I did a while ago when I realized 1-24 is of no use to windows. I have only 1-2 active for playback (disabled for recording) to be able to use media player with Sonar exports

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

jbraner
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1830
    Re: MOTU Ultralite AVB In 1-24 meter pegging. 2016/12/21 04:43:22 (permalink)
    Rob[atSound-Rehab]
    jbraner

That's what I did a while ago when I realized 1-24 is of no use to windows.

I don't know who got the bright idea to include this...

I have only 1-2 active for playback (disabled for recording) to be able to use media player with Sonar exports

That's exactly what I use it for too (and for "normal" sound on my non music partition - media player, youtube, etc)

John Braner
    https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
    http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
    - Cakewalk by BandLab x64
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    - Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
    - MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
    I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
    er - that's it I think...
    steveo42
    Re: MOTU Ultralite AVB In 1-24 meter pegging. 2016/12/21 11:00:19 (permalink)
    Sorry for the delay in replying guys. Been up to my eyeballs in crap these days :)

So it appears this is indeed a bug. Just for grins and giggles, I switched the Ultralite to a different USB port and the problem went away.
    Unfortunately it came back again and the only DAW related activity was opening Studio One and playing around with Reaper a bit.
    After closing everything, doing a clean boot, the problem was still there until for some odd reason it disappeared again.
    When it was failing, I did try playing around with the MOTU Discovery app, changing AVB settings, sample rates etc to see if I could fix it but no luck there.

I'm going to disable it in Windows because my fear is that something may be in a feedback loop sending high frequencies above my hearing range "somewhere", like my monitors, and ultimately toasting my tweeters or something else.
    I agree this 1-24 thing in Windows is confusing and I'm not sure what programs would even use it?
    Maybe some 5:1 systems?
    I dunno.
    I'll file a bug report with Motu as soon as I get a chance.
    It would be good if others could do the same. 
    Hopefully it gets fixed in the next driver.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1