MP3 Conversion: Help

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Cromberger
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1057
RE: MP3 Conversion: Help 2008/05/20 21:01:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK

ORIGINAL: Cromberger

Hi, Steve,

For sure, I'd like to hear your take on if the Fraunhofer encoder sounds "better" than the Lame version. Since Lame is based on the Fraunhofer model, it seems like they'd sound pretty much the same---but it would be very informative to know for sure.

Best regards,
Bill

It's obviously all very subjective Bill, but to my hearing the CD's encoded using Fraunhofer sound much clearer and 'punchier', and more like the originals than those encoded with the Lame option. When testing out the two for my car, I listened to extracted mp3 files from both encoders from 112kbps up to 320kbps.

Above 192kbps, there were no disceranable improvements on my system and so I just had to decide which encoder to use at that rate - the Fraunhofer won hands down.

However, I understand that it may just be the particular dynamics etc. from my car player/speakers that influenced my decision - that's why I offered to run a few tests with wave files from my Cakewalk software - if I get anything worthwhile reporting, I'll post back and try to upload some examples to my Soundclick site, presuming they don't re-encode the files out of all recognition.

All the best

Steve

Hi, Steve,

Thanks for the perspective on Fraunhofer vs. Lame. I need to check out both and see if I hear a difference. One thing is for sure, I can clearly hear a difference between the quality of MP3's at 128 and 192 and 16/44.1 .wav files. It wouldn't surprise me at all if could detect a difference between Lame and Fraunhofer, either.

I guess what it all boils down to, for me, is to get my songs on the internet in as good a quality as is possible without getting into esoteric differences between conversion rates, methods, etc.. I really had hoped that this process would be stupidly simple but I've sure found out that this isn't the case, at least for those of us who can hear subtle differences and care about them. It surprises me that more people haven't brought this topic up. I guess I'm just too critical and I should simply go with the (mediocre) flow that MP3's seem to represent. Bah!

I'll keep an eye out for any interesting results you get from your tests. Thanks so much for your help/info!

Best regards,
Bill

Sonar Platinum
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Studio Cat DAW
Intel I-950 Processor
6 Gigs RAM
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
Mackie HR824 Monitors
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1