MP3 encoding for Sonar

Author
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
2005/08/04 21:46:05 (permalink)

MP3 encoding for Sonar

I've previously followed the instructions for adding LAME to Sonar as per the following info

ORIGINAL: Skyline In The Office

Have you installed the profile as described in the earlier link posted by Craig Anderton (Sonar guru), this is essential, viz:

"However, you CAN add a profile for LAME so that it shows up as one of your export options. Here's what you do (this assumes you have LAME installed on your machine somewhere).

1. Insert the Sonar 4 distribution CD-ROM into your drive.
2. Don't autorun. Instead, explore the CD.
3. Open the folder called Utilities.
4. Open the folder External Encoder Profiles.
5. Double-click on any of the encoder options you want to add (e.g., LAME MP3 High Quality Stereo.reg).
6. You'll be asked if you want to add this information to the registry. Tremble in fear for a bit because you're adding something to the registry, then click on Yes. You'll be informed that it was added successfully.
7. Go Program Files > Cakewalk > Shared Utilities.
8. Double-click on the EncoderConfig.exe program.
9. In the "Friendly Name" field, select the Profile you want (e.g., LAME MP3 High Quality Stereo)
10. Under Path, enter the path to the LAME encoder folder installed on your computer in place of the default path.
11. Double-check that you've entered the correct path, then click on Save. This is important!! Otherwise Sonar won't be able to launch the encoder.
12. Click on Close to close the External Encoder Config.
13. Now, open Sonar. When you go to Export Audio, any of the profiles you configured will show up as an export option."

I have followed these instructions and indeed the encoders are all listed for export. However when exporting data Sonar takes the time for processing (several Minutes) but I get an error at the end saying...."unable to launch (whichever encoder chosen) ....then "Warning: The external encoder returned an error code. the file may not have encoded properly.

No file is generated despite asking for a name and a variety of parameters prior to processing...Am I doing something wrong?? Doesn't matter which encoder I use yet they work OK in Audacity.

Before I get told to search for info I have and even responded to the comments of ORIGINAL: Skyline In The Office

with no response as yet.

Please Help!!

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.

7 Replies Related Threads

blackdogstudio
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: MP3 encoding for Sonar 2005/08/04 22:13:57 (permalink)
    This was taken from another thread. It works for me (SONAR4PE)...

"If you don't wanna unlock(buy) the cakewalk mp3 encoder, you can invoke the Lame mp3 encoder directly from S4. With this you don't need to first export to wav and then encode to mp3. Remember that the Lame mp3 encoder is high quality, open source and free.

1. Download and install the lame encoder. Just search 'lame mp3 encoder download' in Google
    2. Open Sonar 4 and go to Tools -> Cakewal Ext. Encoder Config.
    3. In the Friendly Name Field write: Lame Mp3 Encoder
    4. In the Extension field write: .mp3
    5. In the Description field write whatever you want
    6. In the Path field write the path where the Lame encoder is. That is where lame.exe and lame_enc.dll are, usually C:\Program Files\Lame
    7. In the Command Line field write:
    lame -b 192 -m j %I %O
    8. Press Save button.
    9. Uncheck Keep Wave File
    10. dat'sit!

This will export to a 192Kbps, joint stereo mp3 file. If you want 128Kbps, replace 192 with 128 in the Command Line field. The next time you click on File->Export->Audio... in S4 you'll find 'Lame mp3 encoder' as a type of audio.

The Command Line field is where you specificate the options for the Lame encoder (lame.exe). The form is:
    lame <options> <infile> <outfile>
    where options can be among others:
    -b : bitrate
    -m : stereo mode
    for more information go to the lame help. This procedure has been tested with LAME 3.94 and S4 Producer".

Tonmann
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 661
    RE: MP3 encoding for Sonar 2005/08/05 11:20:01 (permalink)
    @blackdogstudio: Hey, great how-to! Some admin should make a sticky for useful hints like this IMO.

cheers,
    Chris

...maybe I never realized the joy till the joy was gone...
    mudgel
    RE: MP3 encoding for Sonar 2005/08/09 00:48:59 (permalink)
    Thanks Blackdogstudio,

Command line info is what the earlier thread was missing. Wont get a chance to try it for a few days but I'll let you know how I go.

Thanx, Michael Vogel

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

mudgel
    RE: MP3 encoding for Sonar 2005/08/11 05:11:33 (permalink)
    My previous attempts to add LAME didn't work because the .exe & .dll files were not from the same distribution.

Now I have used the latest LAME 3.97 alpha and it works a treat in SONAR.

Follow the instructions from Skyline in the office

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: MP3 encoding for Sonar 2005/08/11 09:30:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Tonmann
    Hey, great how-to! Some admin should make a sticky for useful hints like this IMO.

This is why we now have the new [http://sonara.sonarama.com/]SONAR Wiki[/link] which will let members post how-to articles, lookup items on the SONAR FAQ, find a single source list of links to Cakewalk support, SONAR updates, hardware integration techniques, software integration techniques, workflow techniques, and anything else SONAR users can think up to post for helping us learn/use SONAR.

Documentation and Tutorial articles
    SONAR FAQ
    theblue1
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: MP3 encoding for Sonar 2005/08/12 17:19:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: blackdogstudio

This was taken from another thread. It works for me (SONAR4PE)...

"If you don't wanna unlock(buy) the cakewalk mp3 encoder, you can invoke the Lame mp3 encoder directly from S4. With this you don't need to first export to wav and then encode to mp3. Remember that the Lame mp3 encoder is high quality, open source and free.

1. Download and install the lame encoder. Just search 'lame mp3 encoder download' in Google
    2. Open Sonar 4 and go to Tools -> Cakewal Ext. Encoder Config.
    3. In the Friendly Name Field write: Lame Mp3 Encoder
    4. In the Extension field write: .mp3
    5. In the Description field write whatever you want
    6. In the Path field write the path where the Lame encoder is. That is where lame.exe and lame_enc.dll are, usually C:\Program Files\Lame
    7. In the Command Line field write:
    lame -b 192 -m j %I %O
    8. Press Save button.
    9. Uncheck Keep Wave File
    10. dat'sit!

This will export to a 192Kbps, joint stereo mp3 file. If you want 128Kbps, replace 192 with 128 in the Command Line field. The next time you click on File->Export->Audio... in S4 you'll find 'Lame mp3 encoder' as a type of audio.

The Command Line field is where you specificate the options for the Lame encoder (lame.exe). The form is:
    lame <options> <infile> <outfile>
    where options can be among others:
    -b : bitrate
    -m : stereo mode
    for more information go to the lame help. This procedure has been tested with LAME 3.94 and S4 Producer".

WONDERFUL!!!

Thanks a million to everyone for this thread. It got me to get off my backside on this issue. (I don't even want to say what I was doing when I needed to encode Mp3s -- but it involved leaving Sonar and loading a very bloated and memory leaking [but very full-featured] media player which has the latest Fraunhofer encoders in it and using that... total overkill but I was putting off doing something sensible.

And this couldn't be a much better solution. I've always liked the LAME encoder at high settings. On older machines it wasn't lightning-fast but the quality seemed to be comparable-to-possibly-a-shade-better than older Frauhofer versions (that I actually A/B-ed fairly rigorously), particularly at high VBRs.

Anyhow, this worked great the first time and the encoding went very quickly... faster than the wave file rendering.

pS... hardest thing was finding the lame .exe as a standalone (and it wasn't too hard once I googled on "lame.exe download" instead of "lame mp3 encoder download"). I found this homey but quite helpful info/DL site: http://www.trudyholler.com/pages/download_razorlame.html
    post edited by theblue1 - 2005/08/12 17:26:59
    James D
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: MP3 encoding for Sonar 2005/08/12 17:51:19 (permalink)
    Here is a link for the the instructions for performing this in Sonar 3 Producer,

Lame and Sonar 3 MP3

Peace

Enjoy the sweet sound of music forever!
    Sonar5
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1