MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
gmp
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1033
2017/01/10 00:51:54 (permalink)

MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors

I was having this runtime error crash related to CA-2A and LP64-EQ while using Platinum 2016.09? When this problem started around 12/1, even reverting back to earlier image files from October didn't solve the problem unless I stayed disconnected from the internet.

Once I connected to the internet it would take a few minutes to a few hours to develop the runtime errors and then they kept up even if I disconnected from the internet. I’ve never tried 2016.11 or any MS updates after 10/9. On Tuesday 12/20, without me making any changes, all runtime errors stopped suddenly.

My guess is MS silent updates or the Metro apps updates caused this, yet I’d like some other opinions and evidence that I did indeed get these unwanted updates even though  I have autoupdates disabled in Services. Control Panel / Programs and Features / Installed Updates doesn’t show evidence of silent updates or Metro app updates and I assume that they don’t show up there, but do they show up anywhere else?

Normally when something goes haywire, the quick fix is to revert to a known reliable image file and I can continue to work. In this case it didn’t work. Essentially I'd like to have total control over my updates and choose to update when I want to. With Platinum there are so many interacting parts that I find it better to install all Win updates right before I install a new version.

Some versions have bugs or problems and then if so, I revert back to a known good image file. Having MS silently updating, installing apps, or altering my computer without my permission is not good for my situation, I don’t want to be 2nd guessing what's going on when a problem surfaces and if a client is in my studio, I don’t' want some unexpected problem arising from a MS update conflict.

Recently I disabled ContentDeliveryManager.in the registry to stop the silent updates and also disabled updates to Metro apps in Store. Are there any more things I need to disable to prevent MS from altering my computer?

I realize this runtime error bug was very unusual and maybe this won’t happen again, but I still want to be reasonably sure what happened and how to prevent this from happening in the future. I’d appreciate any insights on this.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T

41 Replies Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/10 06:42:17 (permalink)
    I have not experienced those problems on my system, which is Win 10 Pro.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/10 06:56:17 (permalink)

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/10 08:49:44 (permalink)
    Many old-timers, including yours truly, have been uncomfortable with Microsoft's silent updates since they began. Software updates have always been a roll of the dice. But back in the day we could mitigate the risk, scheduling the update during a slow time, trying out the new version on a testbed first. And we always had a disaster plan if things went south. Those options have been taken away from us in the era of mandatory constant-drip updates.

I take some solace from traffic jams on the east side. Every time I have to navigate the swarming Priuses around Redmond and Bellevue, I take comfort in the thought that "it's OK, all these people are going to work to fix my Windows bugs".

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/10 09:14:55 (permalink)
    One of the first things I did after installing Windows 10 was to turn off everything related to a Microsoft account, and MS cloud apps.  Including all the modern tile apps, Windows online search, etc.  I even disabled Defender. 

I logon to my PC with a local account only.  I have my updates locked down with policy editor, until I am ready to apply them (and only after a fresh image).

So far nothing has slipped through on Win 10 that I didn't know about ( I hope).

I have never trusted Microsoft in this regard since some years ago on Windows 7 (with updates set to check, but never download), I went to reboot and got a message like (Windows is being updated, do not shutdown your computer".  Whaaaaat!!!

So I googled around and found out that MS can, and did, roll out a Windows Update/update, automatically.  I guess they thought it was necessary due to some changes in the WU system.  Provide a good customer experience, blah, blah.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    gmp
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/10 11:48:31 (permalink)
    This whole time, I've been doing fine using 2016.09 with the latest MS updates from 10/9. My workaround was to not close the runtime error window. My runtime errors suddenly disappeared on 12/20 without me changing anything, giving me the impression that MS along with Cakewalk's nudging fixed something.

A few days ago I decided to test the waters and did all the Win updates and all the Plat updates, including early access for CA-2A and Rapture. I've opened several projects and worked monday, all is well so far. It looks like Cakewalk and MS have finally fixed these problem.

The whole point of this thread is to protect me and everyone else from this sort of thing happening to our DAW's by getting tips and ideas on how to combat this.

post edited by gmp - 2017/01/10 12:10:06

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
    gmp
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/10 12:06:04 (permalink)
    abacab
    One of the first things I did after installing Windows 10 was to turn off everything related to a Microsoft account, and MS cloud apps.  Including all the modern tile apps, Windows online search, etc.  I even disabled Defender. 

I logon to my PC with a local account only.  I have my updates locked down with policy editor, until I am ready to apply them (and only after a fresh image).

So far nothing has slipped through on Win 10 that I didn't know about ( I hope).

I have never trusted Microsoft in this regard since some years ago on Windows 7 (with updates set to check, but never download), I went to reboot and got a message like (Windows is being updated, do not shutdown your computer".  Whaaaaat!!!

So I googled around and found out that MS can, and did, roll out a Windows Update/update, automatically.  I guess they thought it was necessary due to some changes in the WU system.  Provide a good customer experience, blah, blah.

I'm very interested in your post and want to set up my computer the same way to stop MS from changing things without my knowledge or at a time when I'm using my computer for important work.

Can you be more specific on what you did and how you did it? I may already have a local account, how do I know? My DAW is a one user computer.

In Services I have Win Updates disabled, so I never get those irritating notices of updates. I turn Win Updates on when I want to update, so I'm wondering if I need to mess with policy editor? Hopefully all of this will prevent MS from taking charge and rolling out a Windows Update/update, automatically.

I don't need all these MS protections, I've never gotten a virus in decades, because I'm very careful with my DAW. I only use this computer for music, nothing else. If things go haywire and they always do eventually, I simply revert back to a known good image file. In fact I make an image file after every little change to my OS or apps for safety.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    abacab
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/10 12:38:44 (permalink)
    I just noticed in your signature that you are using Windows 8.1, so unless that needs updated, much of what I posted may not apply.

I only used Win 8.1 briefly on a new laptop, so I do not know it very well.  But it was the start of MS trying to make the Windows OS more of a cloud based, mobile device.

I quickly upgraded that PC to Windows 10, and then discovered this.  I have a Microsoft account using my gmail address, that stays logged off.  Since I don't use any of Microsoft's cloud services or apps, or the Windows store, there is no way I need to stay signed in to make it easier for MS to collect data about me. 

A local account is what it has always been since the early days of Windows.  Just your user ID and password for the Administrator account on your PC.  But if you change Windows so that you sign into it with your MS online ID, called your MSA (Microsoft Account), that's the way your PC login will continue to work.

Here's an article that probably explains it better than I can on how to revert to a local account if you're using a MSA. 
    https://www.theguardian.c...-account-in-windows-10
    or this http://www.techrepublic.c...account-in-windows-81/
    and this http://www.howtogeek.com/230543/how-to-revert-your-windows-10-account-to-a-local-one-after-the-windows-store-hijacks-it/

For protection, I use Avira.  It is light and stays out of the way, if you set exclusions to real-time protection for selected processes, files, and folders.  Avira Free is as good as the pro version.  I have used both and they are both good.  No conflicts here. 

I am testing Bitdefender Free 2016 on another computer.  I like it, but it has no file exclusions, so I just click off the real-time protection unless I go online with it.  Bitdefender is among the few products (including Avira and Kaspersky) that frequently score 100% in malware detection tests.  So there you have it, Avira Free and Bitdefender Free.  Both top-notch detection engines are free.  Since you stay offline mostly anyway, you can just keep real-time protection off for either, unless you are updating something.

Of course, by saying this here, there is bound to be a pile-on now in favor of Defender, Norton, Avast, Bitdefender, etc.  LOL!   But personally I would trust any of them, including the free ones, over Defender any day. 

gmp
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/10 12:53:31 (permalink)
    abacab
    I just noticed in your signature that you are using Windows 8.1, so unless that needs updated, much of what I posted may not apply.

I only used Win 8.1 briefly on a new laptop, so I do not know it very well.  But it was the start of MS trying to make the Windows OS more of a cloud based, mobile device.

I quickly upgraded that PC to Windows 10, and then discovered this.  I have a Microsoft account using my gmail address, that stays logged off.  Since I don't use any of Microsoft's cloud services or apps, or the Windows store, there is no way I need to stay signed in to make it easier for MS to collect data about me. 

A local account is what it has always been since the early days of Windows.  Just your user ID and password for the Administrator account on your PC.  But if you change Windows so that you sign into it with your MS online ID, called your MSA (Microsoft Account), that's the way your PC login will continue to work.

Here's an article that probably explains it better than I can on how to revert to a local account if you're using a MSA. 
    https://www.theguardian.c...-account-in-windows-10
    or this http://www.techrepublic.c...account-in-windows-81/
    and this http://www.howtogeek.com/230543/how-to-revert-your-windows-10-account-to-a-local-one-after-the-windows-store-hijacks-it/

For protection, I use Avira.  It is light and stays out of the way, if you set exclusions to real-time protection for selected processes, files, and folders.  Avira Free is as good as the pro version.  I have used both and they are both good.  No conflicts here. 

I am testing Bitdefender Free 2016 on another computer.  I like it, but it has no file exclusions, so I just click off the real-time protection unless I go online with it.  Bitdefender is among the few products (including Avira and Kaspersky) that frequently score 100% in malware detection tests.  So there you have it, Avira Free and Bitdefender Free.  Both top-notch detection engines are free.  Since you stay offline mostly anyway, you can just keep real-time protection off for either, unless you are updating something.

Of course, by saying this here, there is bound to be a pile-on now in favor of Defender, Norton, Avast, Bitdefender, etc.  LOL!   But personally I would trust any of them, including the free ones, over Defender any day. 

Actually I upgraded from 8.1 to Win 10 Pro in Feb last year. Sorry for the confusion, I just updated my sig.

Great tips and info. I certainly don't need all that MS stuff either. I'll go ahead and start the process.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    abacab
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/10 13:14:51 (permalink)
    Plus there is a shed load of Win 10 tutorials in this list.  Should cover just about everything you would ever need to know!

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/?s=36333206a4fa84330bf24f536468c91a

Complete alphabetical index:
    https://www.tenforums.com...10-tutorial-index.html

gmp
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/10 13:21:28 (permalink)
    Hey abacab. It turns out that I already have a local account for both my Win 10 computers. I'll go ahead and use Avira instead of Defender. You mentioned turn off everything related to a Microsoft account, and MS cloud apps.  Including all the modern tile apps, Windows online search, etc.

Is Windows online search the same thing that I see in Services called windows search? If so I used to have that disabled and see now that MS turned it back on - grrrr, so it's disabled again. I also have disabled in services: google update services, adobe acrobat update. I had to redo them since they were turned back on.

So does the local account automatically turn off MS cloud apps and all the modern tile apps?

What about what you said about updates locked down with policy editor. Maybe I should do that also. Can you explain that too?

Thanks for all your help,

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    abacab
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/10 13:37:50 (permalink)
    gmp
    Hey abacab. It turns out that I already have a local account for both my Win 10 computers. I'll go ahead and use Avira instead of Defender. You mentioned turn off everything related to a Microsoft account, and MS cloud apps.  Including all the modern tile apps, Windows online search, etc.

Is Windows online search the same thing that I see in Services called windows search? If so I used to have that disabled and see now that MS turned it back on - grrrr, so it's disabled again. I also have disabled in services: google update services, adobe acrobat update. I had to redo them since they were turned back on.

So does the local account automatically turn off MS cloud apps and all the modern tile apps?

What about what you said about updates locked down with policy editor. Maybe I should do that also. Can you explain that too?

So you're all set with the local account!

Here's a few other practical tips you should apply.  This will probably eliminate most of your concerns!

http://www.howtogeek.com/269331/how-to-disable-all-of-windows-10s-built-in-advertising/

http://www.howtogeek.com/249254/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-using-so-much-data/

http://www.howtogeek.com/241752/how-to-stop-windows-10-apps-from-running-in-the-background/

http://www.howtogeek.com/221864/digging-into-and-understanding-windows-10s-privacy-settings/

abacab
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/10 13:54:22 (permalink)
    Here's a simple tutorial on how to defer updates and upgrades in Win 10 Pro, using the local group policy editor.
    http://www.zdnet.com/arti...u-dont-own-a-business/

More options here:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8013-windows-update-automatic-updates-enable-disable-windows-10-a.html

gmp
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/10 13:58:08 (permalink)
    abacab
    gmp

So you're all set with the local account!

Here's a few other practical tips you should apply.  This will probably eliminate most of your concerns!

http://www.howtogeek.com/269331/how-to-disable-all-of-windows-10s-built-in-advertising/

http://www.howtogeek.com/249254/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-using-so-much-data/

http://www.howtogeek.com/241752/how-to-stop-windows-10-apps-from-running-in-the-background/

http://www.howtogeek.com/221864/digging-into-and-understanding-windows-10s-privacy-settings/

Lord what a load of crap MS is doing behind our backs. I'll get on to this. Thanks for the links

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    abacab
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/10 14:12:30 (permalink)
    gmp

Lord what a load of crap MS is doing behind our backs. I'll get on to this. Thanks for the links

LOL!  Yup, Windows 10 may just be the biggest trojan horse ever inflicted on consumers.  They are counting on enough complacent folks to not care that it has turned into a big advertising machine.

You can fight back, but it's not widely advertised.

We're like the rebels in X-wing fighters going up against the Empire's Death Star.  May the Force be with you! 

gmp
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/11 01:27:27 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the tips and info. I got er all done.

I've used TenForums and How to geek too - those are my 2 favs. In fact I posted this same questions to them and got some response, but yours was the most complete - so thanks.

I realize it's speculation blaming my runtime errors on MS, yet they're the most likely culprit and considering the strangeness of this bug having to do with timing, it's certainly possible that MS was doing something that caused my problem. But regardless, I feel I'm better protected in the future.

I did find evidence of activity under Settings / Network / data usage. There were things listed like Store and Get Office. This was something MS did, not me.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/11 07:38:31 (permalink)
    yeah, it was never actually clearly explained - by anyone - exactly what the issue really was...

just a sec

bitflipper
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/11 09:56:52 (permalink)
    My laptop is haunted. Time to perform yet another exorcism ritual in an attempt to make Siri go away for good. 

I thought she'd been safely interred, but yesterday (after a Windows update) in the middle of a live session on my laptop, she pops up out of the blue with a large dialog box asking "how far is it to the nearest Chinese restaurant? I can answer this and many other questions!". Sheesh. I almost miss Bob the Talking Paperclip.

My Stuff
    abacab
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/11 10:19:38 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    My laptop is haunted. Time to perform yet another exorcism ritual in an attempt to make Siri go away for good. 

I thought she'd been safely interred, but yesterday (after a Windows update) in the middle of a live session on my laptop, she pops up out of the blue with a large dialog box asking "how far is it to the nearest Chinese restaurant? I can answer this and many other questions!". Sheesh. I almost miss Bob the Talking Paperclip.

Not sure how to disable Siri, but if you want to disable Cortana, try this! 
    http://www.howtogeek.com/265027/how-to-disable-cortana-in-windows-10/

I miss Bob sometimes too!  Bob!!!

bitflipper
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/11 10:33:32 (permalink)
    Sorry, I meant Cortana, not Siri.

My Stuff
    abacab
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/11 10:35:51 (permalink)
    A secret Apple fanboy, ha!  Would that be a Sirian slip?

pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/11 10:59:10 (permalink)
    everyone's allowed senior moments

just a sec

gmp
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/11 12:27:56 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    Sorry, I meant Cortana, not Siri.

Right away I removed Cortana from the taskbar using 8.1. Since Metro was of no use to me, I use ClassicShell, which is a Win 7 type start menu - way more useful. I can still access Metro from it and see Cortana, so she's not eliminated, but I've never once gotten any questions or interruptions from her thankfully. The few questions I asked her, I found her pretty useless.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    abacab
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/11 12:30:21 (permalink)
    And with Cortana constrained to her box it reverts to a local Windows, rather than a web based, search

Dave76
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/11 19:11:37 (permalink)
    Please please please just allow auto updates on Windows 10 to work as intended.  You may think you are smarter than the world but really you are just opening up your systems to do denial of service attacks, etc. against the rest of us.  
    abacab
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/11 19:18:53 (permalink)
    Dave76
    Please please please just allow auto updates on Windows 10 to work as intended.  You may think you are smarter than the world but really you are just opening up your systems to do denial of service attacks, etc. against the rest of us.  

Huh?  What? Please cite your sources ...

kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/12 10:27:35 (permalink)
    Dave76

Windows 10 also does this. Like denial of service of hardware that was working yesterday. 

The evolving OS was started by Apple and their users go through the same thing.

If system imaging wasn't time consuming it would be a daily thing. 

Also system restore is your friend. Usually restore points are created for new updates.  

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
    abacab
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/12 11:03:27 (permalink)
    Locking down the privacy and advertising aspects of Windows 10 is one important issue to many people.  For some, it's the main show stopper against upgrading to Win 10.  It is also important to keep a DAW as clutter free as possible.  The background data use of these Windows Store apps could be a problem, unless you take your DAW completely offline.

In fact Microsoft just made a statement a few days ago that they intend to dial back data collection from Windows 10.
    http://www.itworld.com/ar...0-data-collection.html

As far as updates go, it's really not recommended to NEVER update.  Just use the available controls to defer or re-schedule them at your convenience, avoiding interruptions to your workflow, etc.

I personally like to wait for a few weeks after MS releases updates, letting them "bake" a little longer.  Microsoft often releases fixes for"bad" patches in the days and weeks after release on "Patch Tuesday".  I am happy to let the automatic updater folks be my beta testers.

gmp
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/12 11:42:23 (permalink)
    kitekrazy1
    Dave76

Windows 10 also does this. Like denial of service of hardware that was working yesterday. 

The evolving OS was started by Apple and their users go through the same thing.

Also system restore is your friend. Usually restore points are created for new updates.  

System restore didn't solve the problem for many with the Dec bug with runtime errors and CA-2A, etc. Are you agreeing with Dave76 that what me and abacab are doing is jeopardizing everyone else? I'd love to hear this argument.

MS has policies with businesses where they can defer their updates, so they can be sure all is well before updating lots of their computers. Abacab and I are deferring updates and I'm stopping these silent updates on Metro apps and consumer apps I don't use. My DAW is for music only, no web surfing, email, etc

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    abacab
    Re: MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors 2017/01/12 12:20:45 (permalink)
    kitekrazy1

I agree with this.

I always make two system images monthly.  One before, and one after, any Windows or Cakewalk update.  Lately I have Windows and Cakewalk update around the same time to keep this simple.  The image that I take after the updates is the one I will use to roll back if my system messes up later in the month, for reasons not related to the  updates.  If I have reason to suspect a problem with the updates, I will roll back to the pre-update image.

I have found Windows System Restore to be a hit or miss thing.  I understand it is only supposed to back up the registry and system files.  But it tends to break any applications you have installed since the restore point. 

So for short term use, I usually create a restore point any time I install an app, if one is not made automatically.  I think the farther back that you attempt to go back with System Restore, the messier it could get.  Images are better for that purpose.

But System Restore can make the process of uninstalling an unwanted app cleaner.  For example if you install an app that causes problems, or have a demo that you don't wish to keep on your system. 

First uninstall the app using its uninstaller, then use System Restore to go back one step.  Your Windows registry should be back just like it was prior to that last install, and all the crud that the app dropped in your registry should be gone too, even if the uninstaller failed to remove it all, as many do. 

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1