Author
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
2015/11/04 17:39:51 (permalink)
5 (8)

Mackie Control support improvements

I start this topic to not ask for improvements, but to offer them
To avoid confusion with my other activity, this post is about Open Source CakeWalk MackieControl plug-in. It is NOT about my AZCtrl platform.

My first move: https://github.com/AZSlow3/Cakewalk-Control-Surface-SDK/tree/dyneq/Bin
MackieControl.dll (choose the number of bits in your Sonar) from that repository should support modern ProChannel EQ/Compressors the way described in the original documentation (which was working before ProChannel and is still working if EQ is the first module in the list). Independent from position in the ProChannel.

"Disable handshake" options in preferences will avoid waiting for valid handshake reply from the device. Many controllers claiming "compatibility" do not implement that part of the protocol, usual symptom: "Connecting..." inside the status, even when input and output are specified correctly.

Also download INI file with mapping definition (do not forget to make a backup): https://github.com/AZSlow3/Cakewalk-Control-Surface-SDK/blob/dyneq/Surfaces/MackieControl/MackieControl.ini

To use this DLL you need Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime 2015: https://www.microsoft.com.../details.aspx?id=48145
Since that compiler is relatively new (June 2015), there is a chance you do not have that runtime installed.

1. If you are ready to test it and/or you have some other wishes for that plug-in, let me know.

1. With no feedback there will be no future fixes/features. So, it's your turn!

EDIT:
Updated (8.11) to support ProChannel Compressor. Also INI file is updated with ProChannel EQ and Track/Bus Compressors mapping.
Updated (16.7.2016) to support (in)compatible devices

post edited by azslow3 - 2016/07/16 16:42:10

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
BlackWave
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: Mackie Control support improvements 2015/11/09 06:49:10 (permalink)
Thank You!
petec
  • Total Posts : 43
Re: Mackie Control support improvements 2015/11/15 08:38:59 (permalink)
Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this. Appreciated.

Will check it out and see how it functions.

Cakewalk by BandLab, Win 10 x64, i7, 8Gb Ram, Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40, Mackie Control Universal/XT/C4, Mackie HRmk2 Monitors
BlixYZ
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 805
Re: Mackie Control support improvements 2016/01/23 19:27:09 (permalink)
Using the .dll and.ini you linked to above, and running them using the AZ Controller plugin, I do have basic use of the MCU pro.  However, I am having difficulty with plugins.
Where is the list of what each button is supposed to do?
the Track/Bus button works
Send button does nothing
Pan button works
Plu-in button maps to only the first plugin in the fx bin.
EQ button allows control of the first 8 paramenters only
Compressor button reads, "ACT no mapping"

Am i missing anything?
thanks for your patience

James W
BlixYZ Recording Studio
BlixYZ Records

Audient ASP800 thru Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Mackie Control Universal + C4
Yamaha HS50's plus Matching Sub, Tannoy 501a
Blue Baby Bottle, AT 4050, Neumann TLM 103, etc.
UA 610, Focusrite/ART/Neve 2CH.
Windows 10
azslow3
Re: Mackie Control support improvements 2016/01/24 03:15:16 (permalink)
BlixYZ
Using the .dll and.ini you linked to above, and running them using the AZ Controller plugin, I do have basic use of the MCU pro.  However, I am having difficulty with plugins.

I have mentioned in your other thread that these MackieControl.dll and MackieControl.ini have absolutely no relation to AZ Controller. After you put them into correct directory, continue to use "Mackie Control" in the Control Surfaces list in Sonar, as you did before. Please do not try to use AZ Controller in parallel to it, that is not going to work.

But thank you for testing the preset and reporting what you have observed.

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
BlixYZ
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 805
Re: Mackie Control support improvements 2016/01/25 16:09:26 (permalink)
With "MackieControl" chosen as controller type, there is no connection or functionality.
I'm sure I've missed something.  No I can't even choose the mcu's in and outputs for "mackieControl"
Is it possible I grabbed the wrong ini and dll from your site?

James W
BlixYZ Recording Studio
BlixYZ Records

Audient ASP800 thru Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Mackie Control Universal + C4
Yamaha HS50's plus Matching Sub, Tannoy 501a
Blue Baby Bottle, AT 4050, Neumann TLM 103, etc.
UA 610, Focusrite/ART/Neve 2CH.
Windows 10
azslow3
Re: Mackie Control support improvements 2016/01/25 16:26:33 (permalink)
The files are not on my site, there are on github. Do you see MackieControl in brackets? Have you installed MS runtime 2015?

azslow3
Re: Mackie Control support improvements 2016/01/25 17:18:17 (permalink)
Not related to your original questions, but

BlixYZ
Send button does nothing
Plu-in button maps to only the first plugin in the fx bin.
EQ button allows control of the first 8 paramenters only

I can test with TouchDAW only (not with real hardware), and for me Plug-in switching is working (M1+Channel in Edit mode), Sends configuration is working. I have not really configured EQ except basing Freq/Gain mode, but parameter switching is working for me there.

Compressor button reads, "ACT no mapping"

That is right, it is for ACT mode. But there is no buttons configured to control the focus. When clicked on some plug-in, it should start control it.

I repeat, I do not recommend to use that at the moment. Probably I am going to make new configuration (for X-Touch, with accessibility), then it can be interesting.

superdan54
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 526
Re: Mackie Control support improvements 2016/03/06 03:01:48 (permalink)
Thanks for your work on this! The Prochannel Compressor maps great now! The EQ also works somewhat. I can get the Q and Frequency parameters to work but not the Gain.
azslow3
Re: Mackie Control support improvements 2016/03/06 04:35:54 (permalink)
superdan54
Thanks for your work on this! The Prochannel Compressor maps great now! The EQ also works somewhat. I can get the Q and Frequency parameters to work but not the Gain.

First of all, than you for the feedback.

If you have installed INI file, without mod keys the first 4 encoders should be for frequency and next for Q. If that is not the case, that INI file is somehow not in use, please check where you have copied it.
With my INI file, Gain should be controllable either from the "second page" or in the first page with M3 button engaged.

But there can be bugs since I do not have the device. If you are convinced correct INI file is in use but Gain is not working, I will recheck what can be wrong.

Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
Re: Mackie Control support improvements 2016/05/30 19:10:59 (permalink)
It's been a while since I've been out here and involved, but I'm trying to spend some time with my music stuff again and I came back to see if there were any changes to the Mackie Control support.  I've got a BCF2000 still and I just downloaded your dll and ini file, replaced the originals and I've attempted to use.

I am able to get the BCF control surface up and running, but I can't really make it do anything more than it was doing before.  I don't know what should be controllable in the compressor or FX sections.  I really just wanted the EQ mode 3 to work.  This is the one where the four left faders control the four bands gain levels where the four left knobs control the gain for each of those bands.  I believe the Q is also adjustable with the remaining knobs.  This does not work at all with the ProChannel EQ or the Sonitus EQ in the ProChannel position for me.

Any thoughts on the EQ, and tips on how I can see if the Comp and FX sections are doing anything different?

Thanks for your work on these things - you seem to be the only one who does anything in this regard :)

Still surprised that Cakewalk has not addressed these Mackie Shortcomings within their own product yet, even with all the updates that have happened in the Platinum series of things.  I'm still on X3 here, but considering plat - issues like this make me think twice about what things are being addressed.

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
azslow3
Re: Mackie Control support improvements 2016/05/31 03:48:12 (permalink)
There are 2 problems with original plug-in and PC EQ, and only one you could not fix yourself:
1) if PC EQ is not in the first position, MackieControl operates whatever module is the first position instead of EQ. My mod suppose to solve exactly this problem (the same for Compressor)
2) the mapping for parameters was changes since original Filter EQ. The mapping is in .INI and in my version EQ and compressor are mapped correctly (also there are 6 strips in EQ3 mode for 6 bands, including HP/LP)

So, put PC EQ in the first position. Switch to EQ mode 2 or 3.
a) if you turn encoders, do the control SOME EQ parameters? If not, your BCF setup is somehow incorrect ("normal" MCU has the display for indication what is going on, with BCF there is no way to see that). It can be that EQ button on BCF is not really EQ button for Mackie or other hardware mapping issues
b) in mode 3, does the mapping looks reasonable? If not, most probably you are not using my INI file
c) if you move the EQ from the first position, does BCF still control it in EQ mode? if not, you most probably are not using my mod

Plug-ins inside FX chains can not be controlled by design of FX chains.

FX bin plug-ins was always (and still are) controllable, including EQs and Compressors in the corresponding modes. But you should map your plug-ins yourself in the INI file, delivered stock mapping (also my INI) has no definitions for up to date plug-ins delivered with Sonar.

So in general MackieControl plug-in with my mod has no known shortcomings. There can be problems with installation and/or hardware setups (especially with "compatible" devices like BCF), but such problems are user setup specific and can be solved case by case.

Blades
Re: Mackie Control support improvements 2016/06/01 22:24:32 (permalink)
Thanks for your response.  I'll take another look when I get back in front of the DAW and get you some more detailed answers.

Blades
Blades
Re: Mackie Control support improvements 2016/06/05 22:07:16 (permalink)
Hey AzSlow - I got the files copied into my newly installed copy of Sonar Platinum.  I think the issue was that I had not properly created the mackiecontrol.ini file in the folder or something.  At any rate, it seems to be working now as I'd expect it.

There is one difference from the way it used to work in EQ mode 3 and that is that the first channel on the BCF controls something different and the band gain/freq for the four active bands are controlled by channels 2-5 on the BCF.  The compressor on the ProChannel also worked, though I'm not sure if I'll use it.

The BCF rides again! :)

Thanks for your efforts.  Is there anything I can test about this for you on my end since you don't have a BCF hardware device to test with?

Blades
azslow3
Re: Mackie Control support improvements 2016/06/06 04:31:44 (permalink)
Blades
Hey AzSlow - I got the files copied into my newly installed copy of Sonar Platinum.  I think the issue was that I had not properly created the mackiecontrol.ini file in the folder or something.  At any rate, it seems to be working now as I'd expect it.

Good to know it works for you now, thanks for the feedback.

There is one difference from the way it used to work in EQ mode 3 and that is that the first channel on the BCF controls something different and the band gain/freq for the four active bands are controlled by channels 2-5 on the BCF. 

Channel 1 is HP, channel 6 is LP.

Thanks for your efforts.  Is there anything I can test about this for you on my end since you don't have a BCF hardware device to test with?

Not at the moment. But please let me know in case something does not work / crashes / other strangeness.

azslow3
Re: Mackie Control support improvements 2016/07/16 16:26:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Brando 2016/07/17 18:55:10
Bumping the thread because of new change in this mod. Added "Disable handshake" option can help go throw "Connecting..." frustration, which many users observe with (in)compatible devices.

Klaus
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 320
Re: Mackie Control support improvements 2016/07/17 15:56:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Brando 2016/07/17 18:54:43
Thank you!
I used your MackieControl.dll mod with my new X-Touch Compact and it worked flawlessly.

Now, with "Disable handshake" checked, the status display of ACT Module no longer shows "Connecting..." when I don't use the X-Touch. Great!

SONAR Platinum 
RME HDSPe AIO - Windows 10 64bit - Intel i7 2600K - 16 GB RAM

Astartes
Re: Mackie Control support improvements 2016/07/31 11:36:24 (permalink)
I case i missed something/to be shure (and for newbies when it come to controller set-up and Sonar): Where to put the .ini File? I have copied it in the same Dir as the .dll and it seems to work.....but ACT does nothing, so i´m not shure if i´m right.

Thanks in advance
azslow3
Re: Mackie Control support improvements 2016/07/31 14:46:35 (permalink)
What you mean by "ACT does nothing"? .ini file is just affecting mapping for ProChannel EQ and ProChannel Compressors (standard). If the file is not correct, the mapping is wrong. The rest should work without it. But you was right, the file should be near MackieControl.dll.

Which device you try to use with this plug-in? If that is not Mackie original nor X-Touch, you will get "Connecting..." till you set "Disable handshake" in the options.
Which version of Sonar are you using? If that is not the latest, there is a change your Windows do not have MS Runtime 2015 (see the link in the first post).

Astartes
Re: Mackie Control support improvements 2016/08/01 06:03:51 (permalink)
azslow3
What you mean by "ACT does nothing"? .ini file is just affecting mapping for ProChannel EQ and ProChannel Compressors (standard). If the file is not correct, the mapping is wrong. The rest should work without it. But you was right, the file should be near MackieControl.dll.

Which device you try to use with this plug-in? If that is not Mackie original nor X-Touch, you will get "Connecting..." till you set "Disable handshake" in the options.
Which version of Sonar are you using? If that is not the latest, there is a change your Windows do not have MS Runtime 2015 (see the link in the first post).

I use Ableton Push together with Native Kontrol´s PTX General Script. The Script includes a Mackie Cotrol Emulation for the knobs of the Push. "Disablae Handshake" is checked in the prefs. Newest Platinum Release and The MS Runtime you metiones in your first Post.

(To avoid Confiosion: All Mode-Names that follow are Taken from the PTX General description/Manual for the Mackie Control integration)
Volume, Send, and Pan Modes work as they Should. "Plug-In" Mode, that should control ACT displays EQ Parameters, changes some EQ Parameters but does not change to the Highlighted Device (Absynth for Example), Act Learn don´t work as well.

"EQ" Mode displays and changes EQ Parameters. "Instr." Mode displays and Changes the Copmressor Parameters.

Hope it helps a bit (i´m at work atm). If you have anymore questions i can answer tham later when i´m at home and in front of my PC
azslow3
Re: Mackie Control support improvements 2016/08/01 11:52:41 (permalink)
Sorry to say, but I have bad news for you... Sonar MackieControl does not support "ACT Dynamic Mapping" (the whole Control Surface communication is called ACT, Dynamic parameter mapping is a part of it). It controls FXes and ProChannel EQ/Comp (only), and it does that using different method (not "ACT Learn"), using .INI file.

And so there is no way to control any synth, nor plug-in in focus.

Unfortunately I will have no time to make such mod at least next 2 month.

brands
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: Mackie Control support improvements 2016/10/28 15:29:03 (permalink)
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1