Mackie Onyx Satellite - anybody use it yet?

Author
altima_boy_2001
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2033
2007/03/19 00:23:55 (permalink)

Mackie Onyx Satellite - anybody use it yet?

Just wondering if anybody has experience with Mackie Onyx Satellite yet.

2 Onyx preamps,
24/96k,
6 regular outputs + 2 additional L/R outputs for A/B'ing 2 sets of monitors.

4 Replies Related Threads

altima_boy_2001
    RE: Mackie Onyx Satellite - anybody use it yet? 2007/03/19 20:22:20 (permalink)
    I was a little curious because Musicians Friend and AMS are selling it for 1/2 price in limited quantities ($200 vs $400 regularly)...
    Plus it would allow me to start doing surround mixes...
    Thomas Campitelli
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 598
    RE: Mackie Onyx Satellite - anybody use it yet? 2007/03/19 21:48:48 (permalink)
    I would be wary of the Mackie interfaces right now. They seem to have some problems delivering driver updates, especially for the 400f. If you find someplace with a good return policy, it certainly would be worthwhile to check it out. However, there's a long thread in the Mackie forums begging/demanding that driver updates be released.

Quite honestly, I think much of the computer gear out there (audio and otherwise) doesn't work all that well. I imagine it is difficult to get a piece of equipment to play well across a platform as varied as the PC.

To return to the subject...I, like you, think the Mackie stuff looks really cool. Unfortunately, a third party vendor seems to be able to write better drivers than Mackie for Mackie's gear. Tread cautiously.

Thomas Campitelli
    http://www.crysknifeband.com
    altima_boy_2001
    RE: Mackie Onyx Satellite - anybody use it yet? 2007/03/19 22:30:34 (permalink)
    Well, checking if Mackie had a forum just slipped my mind. So far I've found the following potential issues:

1. No direct monitoring of inputs while listening to computer playback. Mackie has said that a future update will fix this sometime.
    2. The talkback mic can create cross-talk with the main inputs in some cases.
    3. It's a 2 part interface and when they are connected together the base noise level increases significantly.
    4. Glitching sounds with MacOS (no problem for me).
    5. Phantom power is not really +48V for some people (?)

None of this is confirmed...I just gleaned this from a quick scan of the Mackie forum...

So, it may not be worth it...
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: Mackie Onyx Satellite - anybody use it yet? 2007/03/20 19:53:41 (permalink)
    Mackie really needs to get thier act together, and I would advise against buying anything from them until they do. They made a fantasic interface with the 400f. Infortunatelly, this 64bit internal processing audio interface has no support for 64bit operating systems and "disfuntional" funtionality with their current drivers. Their software development team is so lacking that the 1200f (which looks like I could be the best recording interface ever conceived for under $2000) has been delayed for over a year and a half. I have no doubt that they will work things out eventually, but they may need to do some house cleaning before this ever gets resolved. In the mean time, I think consumers need to push them by not buying their products.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1