Macs Rule, PC's suck

Author
phud101
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2007/03/25 14:29:20 (permalink)

In my eyes it is never a crime to steal knowledge. It is a good theft. The pirate of knowledge is a good pirate.

11 Replies Related Threads

Thomas Campitelli
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 598
    RE: Macs Rule, PC's suck 2007/03/25 15:40:25 (permalink)
    Most amusing, if not entirely correct. I rather enjoyed that link. Be warned, however, it is not work/kid safe due to profanity.

Thomas Campitelli
    http://www.crysknifeband.com
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: Macs Rule, PC's suck 2007/03/25 16:34:08 (permalink)
    Not even mildly amusing....

Trash from the get go.......
    DW_Mike
    Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6907
    RE: Macs Rule, PC's suck 2007/03/25 18:28:18 (permalink)
    LOL Thats great, Thanks for the sunday afternoon entertainment.

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
    GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
    Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
    Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
    Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: Macs Rule, PC's suck 2007/03/25 19:19:05 (permalink)
    Have you posted this in that eternal Mac thread here? http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=991254

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    phud101
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Macs Rule, PC's suck 2007/03/25 20:38:14 (permalink)
    No I haven't but i did happen to read that thread and it made me think of that link. Quite a funny site. Maddox is a great ranter, but definately not safe for work/kids/school.

I truly do not have anything against macs personally, they are actually quite decent, but I honestly do not feel like shelling out beyond 2 grand for one when i can spend a fourth for an equivalent pc. I do tire of being belittled by mac users anytime I mention I own a pc and do DAW work on them. There is not a difference anymore, except price perhaps, especially after moving toward intel based systems.

On another point though, I am moving toward a laptop based studio, and unfortunately many manufacturers have not released vista drivers yet and it nigh impossible to find a laptop without vista preinstalled. Most manufacturers do not support drivers for xp anymore so a dualboot isn't feasible. I currently have the Alesis Firewire Multimix, but honestly the drivers blow on that regardless if you are running vista, xp, or a mac. So after fussing with that for over 3 months I decided to get a different one that actually works.

Right now I'm looking at these 2 interfaces.
    1) MOTU Ultralight http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_MOTU_ultralite_firewire_audio_interface?full_sku=103665956

Pros- Seems to be a decent interface, decent preamps and decent Ad/Da converters. Works with Vista and is supported. Decent amount of inputs

Cons- No ADAT, only 2 preamps

2) E-mu 1616m http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_emu_1616m_master_laptop_cardbus_digital_audio_system?full_sku=242513

Pros- Awesome Ad/Da converters, good preamps, ADAT. DSP card. PCMIA meaning better bandwith, and less hassle with companies saying that the reason that their Hardware doesn't work is because of my firewire card/chipset.

Cons- Only 2 preamps (but that's what I am going to expect for that pricerange)

So far I am heavily leaning toward the E-mu. Have any of you used any of these?

In my eyes it is never a crime to steal knowledge. It is a good theft. The pirate of knowledge is a good pirate.
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Macs Rule, PC's suck 2007/03/25 21:30:49 (permalink)
    funniest crap i've read in weeks.

- jack the ex-cynic
    coldsteal2
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 741
    RE: Macs Rule, PC's suck 2007/03/26 00:20:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: phud101

No I haven't but i did happen to read that thread and it made me think of that link. Quite a funny site. Maddox is a great ranter, but definately not safe for work/kids/school.

I truly do not have anything against macs personally, they are actually quite decent, but I honestly do not feel like shelling out beyond 2 grand for one when i can spend a fourth for an equivalent pc. I do tire of being belittled by mac users anytime I mention I own a pc and do DAW work on them. There is not a difference anymore, except price perhaps, especially after moving toward intel based systems.

On another point though, I am moving toward a laptop based studio, and unfortunately many manufacturers have not released vista drivers yet and it nigh impossible to find a laptop without vista preinstalled. Most manufacturers do not support drivers for xp anymore so a dualboot isn't feasible. I currently have the Alesis Firewire Multimix, but honestly the drivers blow on that regardless if you are running vista, xp, or a mac. So after fussing with that for over 3 months I decided to get a different one that actually works.

Right now I'm looking at these 2 interfaces.
    1) MOTU Ultralight http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_MOTU_ultralite_firewire_audio_interface?full_sku=103665956

Pros- Seems to be a decent interface, decent preamps and decent Ad/Da converters. Works with Vista and is supported. Decent amount of inputs

Cons- No ADAT, only 2 preamps

2) E-mu 1616m http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_emu_1616m_master_laptop_cardbus_digital_audio_system?full_sku=242513

Pros- Awesome Ad/Da converters, good preamps, ADAT. DSP card. PCMIA meaning better bandwith, and less hassle with companies saying that the reason that their Hardware doesn't work is because of my firewire card/chipset.

Cons- Only 2 preamps (but that's what I am going to expect for that pricerange)

So far I am heavily leaning toward the E-mu. Have any of you used any of these?

Yes i have the E-Mu 1616M awesome for recording
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: Macs Rule, PC's suck 2007/03/26 01:10:04 (permalink)
    I have an 1820m, and I love it. EMU makes great choices in their hardware, and because they are a Creative company, they have a very good driver development team who tend to fix problems as soon as they are discovered.
    calaverasgrandes
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1454
    RE: Macs Rule, PC's suck 2007/03/30 05:29:47 (permalink)
    Pretty funny. I used to be a Mac person. Then win 95 came out. Some useable audio apps showed up. and the games were better. need I say on cheaper equipment? Besides You can build a PC from scratch. Macs you can only buy whole.
    Another hoax about macs is their much vaunted reliability. I really resent all the mac ads that imply that PCs crash and lose data, while Macs dont. horsepuckey! I have had macs simply refuse to recognize entire hard disks. One day you turn it on and zap, there is one less disk icon. Which brings me to my next issue with macs. If you are a gear head, the kind of person who fixes their own car, etc, forget it with macs. They are deliberately the most difficult boxes to work on. Just opening one is nearly impossible. Getting it back together, good luck! And if you want to configure your system, Macs hide pretty much everything. At least on PCs stuff is kind of logical in a beaurecratic way. I mean, PCs have their problems, but the mac ads dont address the real differences. They totally obfuscate and muddle, in a politician-ish way. Like the one about the PC with a taped on webcam. Has anybody ever had a problem with a webcam? gimme a break! Now printers. PCs have had printers forever, but they still suck at being able to easily setup a printer. Ditto for networking. Macs are great at this.
    And about music on a Mac. Head over to the Logic forums or the Performer forums if you think mac hardware is headache free.
    Apple has always had a weird sense of humor when it comes to product lines. They will come out with a kickass product, then make a cheaper version. Then make a faster version. Then come out with a new line with totally different ram chips and hard drives so nothing NOTHING is tranferable. They just assume you can afford to toss away $3k a year. All the while their loyal customers are saying, if you took XXX model and fixed this one thing you would have the perfect computer. But Apple isn't listening. heres this years Mac. We decided wood grain and leather are hip now.

By the way I am an artist, musician and currently underemployed, I resent the resemblance!

Sonar 7.0.3, Mattel Synsonics, Motu 828MKII (BLA), TC-powercore, Stillwell plugins, Moog MG1, Korg Poly 800, DX27s, Moogerfooger Lowpass, Ovation Magnum, Stingray fretless, Mesa Bass 400, Waldorf Edition, DBA fuzz war, Summit 2BA221, etc
    OffAnAirplane
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1386
    RE: Macs Rule, PC's suck 2007/03/30 08:51:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: calaverasgrandes

Pretty funny. I used to be a Mac person. Then win 95 came out. Some useable audio apps showed up. and the games were better. need I say on cheaper equipment? Besides You can build a PC from scratch. Macs you can only buy whole.
    Another hoax about macs is their much vaunted reliability. I really resent all the mac ads that imply that PCs crash and lose data, while Macs dont. horsepuckey! I have had macs simply refuse to recognize entire hard disks. One day you turn it on and zap, there is one less disk icon. Which brings me to my next issue with macs. If you are a gear head, the kind of person who fixes their own car, etc, forget it with macs. They are deliberately the most difficult boxes to work on. Just opening one is nearly impossible. Getting it back together, good luck! And if you want to configure your system, Macs hide pretty much everything. At least on PCs stuff is kind of logical in a beaurecratic way. I mean, PCs have their problems, but the mac ads dont address the real differences. They totally obfuscate and muddle, in a politician-ish way. Like the one about the PC with a taped on webcam. Has anybody ever had a problem with a webcam? gimme a break! Now printers. PCs have had printers forever, but they still suck at being able to easily setup a printer. Ditto for networking. Macs are great at this.
    And about music on a Mac. Head over to the Logic forums or the Performer forums if you think mac hardware is headache free.
    Apple has always had a weird sense of humor when it comes to product lines. They will come out with a kickass product, then make a cheaper version. Then make a faster version. Then come out with a new line with totally different ram chips and hard drives so nothing NOTHING is tranferable. They just assume you can afford to toss away $3k a year. All the while their loyal customers are saying, if you took XXX model and fixed this one thing you would have the perfect computer. But Apple isn't listening. heres this years Mac. We decided wood grain and leather are hip now.

By the way I am an artist, musician and currently underemployed, I resent the resemblance!

I've owned 6 desktop computers and 3 laptops (all PC) in the last 12 years. I have only had major problems with one of them. It was running Windows 98, and it was one I had custom built by a computer shop. It was a POS, but all the rest were great. I haven't even seen a blue screen of death in the last 5 years, and only one or two lock-ups, which after I restarted were fine, and cause no data loss.

PC's are extremely stable machines nowadays. Maybe Macs are too. If they are, great.
    I just installed Vista Ultimate on my HP laptop yesterday. It seems to have worked flawlessly. I even heard some people saying that iTunes didn't work with Vista. It worked fine for me. Maybe they've already resolved that issue. I did notice one thing when I was transferring all my files back onto my laptop (because I had to do a clean install of Vista.) I had just copied my data drive contents (which is where all my Sonar and Reason projects and all my synths and samples are stored) onto my external backup drive. Then I copied My Documents there also. When I copied My Documents back into the new My Documents, you would think normally when I try to write these files, it will ask do I want to replace certain folders such as My Music and stuff that Windows would already have. But it figured out what I was doing, and asked if I wanted to just copy the contents of my My Music folder into the new My Music folder. It was a little thing, but I was impressed.

Anyway, Macs may be just great. But PC's rock too. Mac needs to hang on to that cool image they think they have, because that's about the only thing they have over PC's.

Although I don't think Macs are any cooler looking than PC's. Not that cool matters. Especially when to get the same computing power that my notebook has in a Mac would cost much more than I paid for my PC notebook.

post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2007/03/30 10:05:06

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: Macs Rule, PC's suck 2007/03/30 18:17:44 (permalink)
    "Although I don't think Macs are any cooler looking than PC's."

I thought that little iMac was as cute as a button (well... at least a zipper) when it first came out. But, I also remember when I thought this was the coolest looking computer on Earth.

post edited by Joe Bravo - 2007/03/30 18:19:00
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1