Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
SuperG
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1371
2016/05/24 14:23:40 (permalink)

Magix Buys Sony Creative Software

http://www.prosoundnetwor...reative-software/46134

Berlin, Germany (May 24, 2016)—Magix Software is purchasing Sony Creative Software, acquiring a majority stake in the company and netting nearly all of Sony Creative Software’s products in the process.

Based in Berlin with branches in Germany, the U.S., Canada, the U.K., France, Italy, and the Netherlands, Magix traditionally has focused on consumer and pro-sumer software solutions for video, photo and audio editing. The acquisition will bring Sony’s Vegas Pro, Movie Studio, Sound Forge Pro, and ACID Pro product lines under the Magix name, though Sony will retain its SCS Catalyst Browse and Catalyst Production Suite for professional broadcast and production applications.

"These products from Sony Creative Software are the perfect addition to our portfolio," said Magix CEO Klaus Schmidt in a statement. “We have already strengthened our presence in the United States in order to propel development and sales. This autumn, we plan to release new versions of the video-editing programs Vegas Pro and Movie Studio, which are heavily oriented toward the customer requirements of today.”

No word was given when the transaction will be completed or whether Sony Creative Software, currently based in Middleton, WI, will move to Berlin or another existing Magix location. Magix will continue to support all current SCS customers who purchased products from Sony. 

Magix Software GmbH
www.magix.com

laudem Deo
msorrels
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1025
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/24 14:31:44 (permalink)
I really want a new 64-bit Acid and a 64-bit Sound Forge.  But I've given up all hope of either happening and this doesn't change that (yet).  Sonic Foundry is/was one of the major forces behind my interest in computer music.  Their loop subscription service was awesome in the pre-download days.  Every month a new and surprising high-quality loop library did wonders for my general happiness.  Magix however isn't exactly my first choice for taking them over.

-Matt

MachineClaw
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1116
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/24 14:46:15 (permalink)
well that is disappointing.  I do not like Magix as a company. oh well.  For what I use Sound Forge for I guess I don't need any upgrades as it works now.
SuperG
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/24 14:52:46 (permalink)
Basically, all we can do is sit and wait till Autumn - when Magix pops out a planned release. Pricing and upgrades?, who knows?

laudem Deo
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/24 15:00:20 (permalink)
Okay so we got the music equivalent of the "Great Value" brand buying out one of the most respected PC video editing software...

Looks like I'm going back to Adobe instead of buying Vegas Pro. :(
Soundwise
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1419
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/24 15:33:48 (permalink)
I like Magix' products. Wonder why does the company get so many dislikes?

Anderton
We are all unique and have our own contributions to make to this planet.

SoundCloud
YouTube
BandLab
bjornpdx
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 759
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/24 16:31:26 (permalink)
 Magix has their own professional video editing software, Magix Video Pro X,  so I wonder if it makes any sense for them to develop Vegas Pro any further. I'm hoping they make Vegas their top tier video editor and the others prosumer and consumer versions.

Bjorn
soundcloud.com/orygun
www.bjornfredrickson.com
https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/24 19:08:02 (permalink)
Soundwise

+1 , Over the years I've purchased and used a lot of Magix products from the low end too the high end ....
I have been very happy with the performance and functionality of the products ...many of them I still use

Kenny 

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/24 19:42:26 (permalink)
Soundwise

Clumsy authorization that is still in the mind of those who tried their freebie daw.  They acquired Yellow Tools, crappy authorization and have done nothing to really improve it.
 So the same will happen with Sony products.

That's their dislikes.  Their Samplitude is not a dislike.  Their Music Maker software got one of the lowest scores on CM Magazine.  You won't find many dislikes for the Samplitude products.

When most companies acquire software, improving upon it is a rarity for me.  If Apple acquires it they move it to Mac only.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
TheSteven
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2037
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/25 00:04:10 (permalink)
kitekrazy1

Clumsy authorization that is still in the mind of those who tried their freebie daw.  They acquired Yellow Tools, crappy authorization and have done nothing to really improve it.

Actually they did a lot to improve the authorization - the current process is pretty painless (unless you have Windows 10 - which they have no plans to add support for).  The problem is that the never did any thing else,  except make it increasingly harder to find on their web site.

Looks like Independence Pro company is going to have some company in the orphan wing of Magix' software vault.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
My Tunes
kitekrazy1
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/25 00:12:32 (permalink)
TheSteven
kitekrazy1

Actually this did a lot to improve the authorization - the current process is pretty painless (unless you have Windows 10).  The problem is that the never did any thing else except make it increasingly harder to find on their web site.

Looks like Independence Pro company is going to have some company in the orphan wing of Magix' software vault.

Yep. They did change the GUI on the Independence stuff and made it 64bit. I think the whole library is included with Samplitude.  The odd thing is the sampling engine was developed by Best Service and you can still authorize it through them.   Yellow Tools was promising but I believe they were more interested in locking down their product than support and development.
 I had a big rant on NorthernSoundSource about them and there was also a 30 plus page rant on KVR about their quality. That pretty much did them in.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/25 11:08:24 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
Soundwise

+1 , Over the years I've purchased and used a lot of Magix products from the low end too the high end ....
I have been very happy with the performance and functionality of the products ...many of them I still use

Kenny 

+1 here as well.  I think this acquisition is a good fit.  Honestly, I don't think Sony knew what to do with the audio stuff.  While Wavelab has continued to develop over the years, Sound Forge still looks/feels like a relic from the 90s. 

Also, it's not like Magix doesn't already know a thing or two about audio-editing/mastering software.  Samplitude and Sequoia have always excelled in that regard.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
gigasonar
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 56
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/25 16:05:56 (permalink)
TheSteven
kitekrazy1

Actually they did a lot to improve the authorization - the current process is pretty painless (unless you have Windows 10 - which they have no plans to add support for).  The problem is that the never did any thing else,  except make it increasingly harder to find on their web site.

What's the problem with Independence Pro and Win 10?
I still have Win 7 and Independence Pro works very well, but I am thinking upgrading to Win 10 soon !
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/25 19:43:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Soundwise 2016/05/26 04:45:13
Don't worry, I'm sure this will go swimmingly, just like when Adobe bought out Cool Edit Pro. Or when Magix bought Yellow Tools. Or when Apple bought Alchemy. Or when TASCAM bought GigaStudio. Or when Mackie took over Tracktion. Or when Microsoft bought, well, anything Microsoft has ever bought.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Chandler
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 477
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/25 21:02:50 (permalink)
I'm worried about this too. I don't like the sound of this at all. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't expect much further development now.

My soundcloud page Chandlerhimself
My Youtube page
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/25 21:13:40 (permalink)
I haven't had any problems whatsoever with their authorisation with either Sampltitude or the VST bundle which I bought on special when it was made native. Are the people who are whining about the authorisation people who actually own it?

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/25 22:11:40 (permalink)
JonD
kennywtelejazz
Soundwise

Kenny 

+1 here as well.  I think this acquisition is a good fit.  Honestly, I don't think Sony knew what to do with the audio stuff.  While Wavelab has continued to develop over the years, Sound Forge still looks/feels like a relic from the 90s. 

Also, it's not like Magix doesn't already know a thing or two about audio-editing/mastering software.  Samplitude and Sequoia have always excelled in that regard.

I hope it is a good fit Sony getting bought by Magix .
In the land of my wishes ,  It would be real nice to have my Sony Acid Pro 7 get bumped up to a 64 bit version , or in the very least have it put towards an upgrade path for a similar product if Magix decides to do a complete overhaul for that type of app and market . 

I also hope Magix decides to get a lot tighter with Win 10 product integration and do some optimizations for the OS.
Samplitude Pro X2 ran absolutely fantastic in Win 8 64 .

Once I bumped up both my Win machines to Win 10 , I have noticed there is a performance hit in Samplitude  and I'm not happy about it .
Cakewalk definitely beat Magix to the punch regarding optimizing Splat for Win 10 .

As far as what Magix has offered as a product line over the years , I have most of it w the exception of Sequoia ...
They kept sending me offers . I kept buying their products  

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

TheSteven
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2037
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/25 22:17:06 (permalink)
gigasonar
What's the problem with Independence Pro and Win 10?
I still have Win 7 and Independence Pro works very well, but I am thinking upgrading to Win 10 soon !

If you have the libraries in the default locations it will probably be fine.
I don't. I keep my sound libraries on another drive and with Windows 10 it (Independence Pro) only looks for them in the default locations.  You can change the location within Independence Pro but the change get's ignored.

I also had a problem on my Alienware M17x R3 where after upgrading to Win10 Sonar would load but not play.
Possibly if I installed Win 10 from scratch Sonar might be OK but I didn't want to go there. 
The issue with Independence Pro was a show stopper by itself - I've got it here or there in a number of old tunes.
The Sonar issue was just more dirt on that grave.
So Win10 lasted maybe 2 days before I reverted.

Make a full backup before you try.  If you use Acronis and use Chrome make sure that the Chrome data folder
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data
is not on the exclusion list. 
I lost a lot bookmarks and all my autologin data when I reverted.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
My Tunes
SuperG
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/26 13:03:35 (permalink)
http://www.redsharknews.com/business/item/3513-update-on-the-sale-of-sony-vegas-and-its-other-media-products-to-magix

Here's a quick update on the sale of Sony Vegas to Magix, including Magix's response to the sale, and Sony's own statement. 

OK, nothing much new to see here, but confirmation that Vegas, Sound Forge etc. seem to be in good hands. We emailed Magix this morning and the company gave us the following information:
"We purchased the Sony Creative Software products, including the full Vegas Pro, Movie Studio, Sound Forge Pro, and ACID Pro product lines. We'll continue to innovate and support all SCS customers who purchased products from Sony. We already plan new versions of Vegas Pro and Movie Studio this autumn. The SCS Catalyst Browse and Catalyst Production Suite will continue to be developed by Sony for professional broadcast and production applications."
I get the impression that this is a very important purchase for Magix and that the Berlin-based company will continue to develop the former Sony products.
A lot depends on whether Magix takes on the Sony developers - at least to some extent. I have a feeling that Magix will.
More answers soon. I’m sending some specific questions to the company. So far, I’ve found them approachable and open. This bodes well for the future of this much-liked suite of software.

Further update

We've just received a statement from Sony which sheds more light on the sale of the Sony Creative Software (SCS) products to Magix.
Sony seems to want to reassure Vegas customers that they'll be in good hands:
"The MAGIX team has a unique expertise in software and will breathe new life into these storied media titles for professionals and consumers".
Crucially for the wellbeing of Vegas under its new owner, Sony says that Magix has hired some former SCS employees:
"MAGIX will continue to support all current SCS customers to ensure a seamless end user experience. The company has also hired several former SCS employees."
And Sony itself will continue to employ developers for what remains of SCS in Middleton/Maddison Wisconsin.
Here's their statement in full:

Catalyst Production Suite Remains with Sony for 
Professional Broadcast and Production Applications
Sony Creative Software (SCS) has sold the majority of its products to MAGIX Software GmbH.
SCS will remain a part of Sony Electronics and will continue to own and distribute its Catalyst Browse and Catalyst Production Suites. These products will continue to be developed by Sony for professional broadcast and production applications.
By purchasing the full Vegas Pro, Movie Studio, Sound Forge Pro, and ACID Pro product lines from SCS, MAGIX is further cementing its position in the market and accelerating its international growth as a leading creator of video, music, and photo-editing software and apps in Europe and the U.S.
“The MAGIX team has a unique expertise in software and will breathe new life into these storied media titles for professionals and consumers,” said Alec Shapiro, president, Sony’s Professional Solutions Americas. “Our suite of Catalyst products has carved a unique niche in the production community. We will focus on developing these technologies and making them even more powerful workflow solutions for our professional broadcast and production customers.”
MAGIX will continue to support all current SCS customers to ensure a seamless end user experience. The company has also hired several former SCS employees.
“These products from Sony Creative Software are the perfect addition to our portfolio,” said MAGIX CEO Klaus Schmidt. “We have already strengthened our presence in the United States in order to propel development and sales. This autumn, we plan to release new versions of the video-editing programs Vegas Pro and Movie Studio, which are heavily oriented toward the customer requirements of today.”
The Sony Creative Software team will continue to maintain a presence in the Middleton/Madison, Wis., area. These will be working on Sony's Catalyst software suite.

laudem Deo
kitekrazy1
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/26 20:33:55 (permalink)
Acid, Soundforge, and Vegas users I wouldn't get my hopes up.  History in general, not the companies involved, software stays stagnant. 

SuperG
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/26 23:06:29 (permalink)
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/998767

Greetings, From the Vegas Team 
by Eric Dettman on May 26, 2016 at 3:56:28 pmMany of you in the community are already aware of the news regarding the acquisition of Sony Creative Software products by MAGIX. The press release can be found here. http://www.magix.com/us/press/detail/?tx_news_pi1%5Bnews%5D=612&cHash=e5c07...

I am here to chime in and provide some more details specifically regarding Vegas Pro and future product development.

MAGIX has assembled an experienced, dedicated Vegas Pro development team here in the Madison Wisconsin area, under product owner Gary Rebholz. The new Vegas team consists of people from SCS, and a number of them date back to when that group was part of Sonic Foundry. They have worked diligently and passionately for almost two decades to make Vegas what it is today. We are a team already experienced with development and support of Vegas, working for a software company who is already experienced in Multimedia NLE development. 

Our intent is to have a release of Vegas available in the fall of this year, and continue developing and supporting Vegas into the future. We would like to hear from you, the members of the Vegas Pro community, regarding your favorite features, specific things you would like to see addressed, and questions you may have. 

Here are some answers to questions we already see in the community. 

We have no intention of moving Vegas to a classic subscription model.
Current plan is to release Vegas Pro in the fall of this year. 
MAGIX will develop Vegas and Movie Studio into the future.
MAGIX will continue to support all current SCS customers who purchased acquired products from Sony to ensure a seamless end user experience.

Thank you for your continued support. Your feedback is valuable and will help us enhance Vegas and return it to the level of tool we want it to be and something that will excite even new users.

-Eric Dettman
MAGIX Software GmbH

MAGIX see.feel.hear.create

laudem Deo
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/27 16:35:58 (permalink)
bitflipper
Or when Apple bought Alchemy. 

Alchemy 2 is actually quite amazing. ;)

If that's any consolation, I wouldn't be surprised if Magix dropped Sound Forge for Mac (though I'm not sure many Mac users will be affected - though long awaited, it never seemed to really take off. Too little, too late.

Didn't Magix also buy Sequoia and Samplitude a long time ago? They seem to do a fair job with those.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/29 18:42:31 (permalink)
Just got this:

Sony Creative Software Inc. ("SCS") is pleased to announce that MAGIX Software GmbH (“MAGIX”) has purchased substantially all of the software products and other assets of SCS (“SCS Assets”). As part of this sale, and in accordance with our Privacy Policy, MAGIX will acquire our customer database, including your personally identifiable information, previously collected through our website or otherwise (“Customer Database”). This information was included in the sale to assist MAGIX in providing you with products and services, including those that are no longer offered by SCS.

MAGIX has agreed that it will treat the personal information in the Customer Database in compliance with the law and in accordance with the terms of the existing SCS Privacy Policy. If you have any questions regarding MAGIX’s privacy practices or its treatment of personal information, please contact MAGIX at:privacy@magix.net.

Please note that SCS will continue to own and distribute its Suite of Catalyst-branded products and services, and we will continue to communicate with you regarding those and other Sony products and services. The personal information and other information about you that we retain will continue to be governed by, and treated consistent with, the terms of our Privacy Policy. If you wish to adjust your SCS communication preferences, please follow the process set forth in ourPrivacy Policy. In addition, you can opt-out from marketing emails sent from SCS or another Sony entity at any time by following the link contained within such marketing emails.

We appreciate the opportunity to have served you and hope to have the opportunity to do so in the future. For further information, including a detailed product list, please visit the Sony Creative Software website.

Sincerely,
Sony Creative Software Inc.

kitekrazy1
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/29 19:06:24 (permalink)
 I wonder what song and dance will be needed for the end user to access their Sony licenses at Magix.

If you have any of the left over Yellow Tools crap everything is quite hidden where to find it.

SuperG
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/05/29 23:57:53 (permalink)
kitekrazy1
 I wonder what song and dance will be needed for the end user to access their Sony licenses at Magix.

If you have any of the left over Yellow Tools crap everything is quite hidden where to find it.

You got a point there... Current SCS products phone home for initial product authorization. Wonder how that's going to work...

laudem Deo
xiwix
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 284
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/06/01 14:31:43 (permalink)

If that's any consolation, I wouldn't be surprised if Magix dropped Sound Forge for Mac (though I'm not sure many Mac users will be affected - though long awaited, it never seemed to really take off. Too little, too late.

Sound Forge MAC license was separate from the windows license, right?  If they ditch the MAC version hopefully they let windows people get the last version for free.  Would go nicely with the new Sonar for Mac! 
polarbear
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1212
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/06/03 15:22:38 (permalink)
Well Sony Vegas was a fun way for me to not cave and buy Premiere while it lasted haha. Guess I'll have to look into taking the plunge at some point. Wish there was a crossgrade offer or something.

http://www.bydavidrosen.com
http://www.imdb.me/davidrosen
Winner of Best Song of 2007 at Acidplanet.com!

PC Audio Labs Rokbox OB1 - Gigabyte X99-UD4-CF - Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz - 32GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 7700 - Windows 7 Pro
Sonar Platinum - Komplete 9 Ultimate - Spectrasonics Omnisphere - reFX Nexus2 - And the list goes on...
RME BabyFace Pro - M-Audio Keystation 88es
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/06/04 07:42:28 (permalink)
bjornpdx
 Magix has their own professional video editing software, Magix Video Pro X,  so I wonder if it makes any sense for them to develop Vegas Pro any further. I'm hoping they make Vegas their top tier video editor and the others prosumer and consumer versions.

Even though they have a "professional " video editing software, all the titles in the world are useless if most professionals ignore it. I tried demo. Seemed ok. I suppose if I had to cut on it, I would manage. Vegas itself is a bit of an also ran but with far more niche and name recognition among professionals. What I fear most is my sony products turning into Magix products when it comes to installing and authorizing. Ine reason i avoid their software is nad experiences with install and licensing.
MachineClaw
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1116
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/06/05 07:01:25 (permalink)
Zero talk about sound forge form this deal.  only talk is Vegas talk and that Vegas was going to live on etc.
msorrels
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1025
Re: Magix Buys Sony Creative Software 2016/06/05 10:38:01 (permalink)
As far as Acid and Sound Forge are concerned, new owner -- same as the last.

-Matt

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1