Make Space For Vocals In The Mix

Author
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
2010/09/05 11:57:46 (permalink)

Make Space For Vocals In The Mix

Another good blog entry by Kim Lajoie:

http://kimlajoie.wordpress.com/2010/09/06/how-to-make-space-for-the-vocals-in-the-mix/

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

10 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Make Space For Vocals In The Mix 2010/09/05 16:55:10 (permalink)
    A whole thread has been going on this subject. Check it out here:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2084121

There have been some good posts in this talking about this very thing. It does start to become hard because of what ends up competing for the vocal line by the time balacing of the vocals take place.

But here is another tip I did not mention in the other thread. It is common mistake to start with all the instruments and get those right then somehow people expect to magically drop the vocals in the perfect position. But as they are often left late in the mix, there may not be any room for them at all.

You should start early in the mix with the instrument(s) you want to hear right at the end of the mix well. So, if it's a clear vocal you want to hear at the end, then start with them or bring them in soon in the mix.  That way they tend to stay longer and remain until the end and as you bring other things in to your mix, you are tending to make them fit the vocal line that is already there.  Rather than trying to drop something important into a huge texture that is already there and has literally swallowed up all your spectrum energy.

I have gone on about (real) VU meters before but thay can help you mix.  As you bring in big sounds they start showing early that you are almost full so to speak and you are using up energy fast.  A great vocal line will hardly change the VU ballisitic to the mix. The main VU ballastic will be moving to the music.  If the vocals are too loud they start taking over the VU movement. Ears are best of course.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    droddey
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Make Space For Vocals In The Mix 2010/09/05 17:05:26 (permalink)
    Someone probably already mentioned it in the other thread, but probably the ultimate answer is to leave room for the vocals in the composition. So many folks seem to want to have massive chugging guitars, massive heavy drums, thick bass, etc... all of which are constantly going full steam, and still have vocals sit over that. That's the hardest way possible to go about it, compared to a composition where everyone isn't trying for the hardest working award but are serving the vocal.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Make Space For Vocals In The Mix 2010/09/05 18:32:40 (permalink)
    The vocals are the mind, heart, soul, and strength of a pop piece (I don't recall any pop pieces of late lacking vocals).

I hope your subject will gain more respect as we each try to improve our vocs on all levels. 

TBH, I wish about 50% of all threads were dedicated to vox techniques, vox spirit, vox signal chains, vox compression, bkg vox, vox pitch, vox verb, vox saturation, vox harmonics, vox gear, etc etc.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Make Space For Vocals In The Mix 2010/09/06 04:02:13 (permalink)
    droddey

Someone probably already mentioned it in the other thread, but probably the ultimate answer is to leave room for the vocals in the composition. So many folks seem to want to have massive chugging guitars, massive heavy drums, thick bass, etc... all of which are constantly going full steam, and still have vocals sit over that. That's the hardest way possible to go about it, compared to a composition where everyone isn't trying for the hardest working award but are serving the vocal.

And the funny thing is, to make those guitars and drums and bass appear to sound huge, heavy and thick, is to make them small - but just so they all work well together. I am a big fan of huge sounding songs with lots of instruments. And it's funny how the bigger you want the mix to get, the more you must start carving and cutting out every little extra instrument you add. In the past I used to try this and not even consider composition. I now know that is so wrong. The only way for it to work is to get it right in the composition first. Two guitars competing because they are on the same octave? Then write one and octave or two away from the other. Not only is just just the octave of the note, but the entire sound as well. All the harmonics and overtones. Hell, I'll spend 2 hours just getting my guitar sound perfect for the song so it fits with minimal trouble.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

MasterInTheMix
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:Make Space For Vocals In The Mix 2010/09/06 13:34:08 (permalink)
    To refine this discussion of vocal mix, I think we can be of most service by talking only about lead vocal. There is no point in talking about BGV's if you don't have the lead sounding good. With that in mind, and in reference to the initial post, there is still a wide variance in how prominent the lead vocal should be. The lead vocals of Boston, for example, are clearly intended to be part of the harmonic structure and flow over you along with the music. The lead vocals of Queen are clearly intended to be the focal point, with the instruments adding drama (drama and queen in the same sentence... hmm). My questions:  Is this the end of those categories - 1. part of the harmonic structure or 2. focal point? Or are there other categories? What do these different approaches communicate to the listener?
    droddey
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Make Space For Vocals In The Mix 2010/09/06 15:43:54 (permalink)
    Pretty amazing things can be done in terms of leaving frequency space I guess. I think of something like "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" and some of the songs on there like Bullet with Butterfly Wings and others, where the song is HUGE and the vocal is this tiny, pretty high passed, squeaky thing in the center of these vast billowing guitars, but you can hear it quite easily. Partly it's because those huge guitars are heavily scooped out, leaving a big hole in the middle for the vocal. There's actually some amazing production on that album, and I listen to it a lot when I want to be reminded what a loser I am.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Make Space For Vocals In The Mix 2010/09/06 16:37:35 (permalink)
    Yea, Dean, there are plenty of ways to go about mixing in the vocals.  I don't sing or do the vocal melody but I premix my electronic songs w/ that space in mind.  And now I do the premix lower and lower, since I get tired of turning them all down.  Even w/ buses there are still individual tracks to remember and re-balance.

When doing other people's stuff I always try to get a scratch vocal.  Even if it is badly recorded and poorly performed, it is still nice to have to hold a place.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    MasterInTheMix
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:Make Space For Vocals In The Mix 2010/09/07 19:54:18 (permalink)
    To get a vocal to the front of the mix, I've gotten into the habit of mixing the vocal by itself, monitors a little on the loud side so that I'm more acutely aware of subtle changes in the intensity, making extensive use of the clip gain envelope so that the Sonitus Compressor (max soft knee, Att. 10ms, Rel 40ms) has a pretty easy job. Of course, before this I remove LF noise and mild plosives (LP64EQ), and sibilance ("H" only with the LP64MB - the threshold requires an envelope    ) - SUBTRACT BEFORE ADDING, and balance the timbre with the LP64 EQ. If it's still a little ... dull, I'll add the TL64 starting at the vocal settings, input +5, output -5, and sweetening from there.

I've found that when I do this, the emotional progression of intensity through the song is right from the start. After this I bring in percussion, bass, etc. With the midrange instruments, I'm pretty generous with where the vocal isn't in frequency, but also in time. My goal is to give the listener a new bite of ear-candy every few seconds.

If I start with the vocal first, I never bury it because I kind-of get attached to it, enjoying it's nuances, hesitating to cover them with anything else.
    guitardog247
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1226
    Re:Make Space For Vocals In The Mix 2010/09/08 11:29:56 (permalink)
    Philip

The vocals are the mind, heart, soul, and strength of a pop piece (I don't recall any pop pieces of late lacking vocals).

I hope your subject will gain more respect as we each try to improve our vocs on all levels. 

TBH, I wish about 50% of all threads were dedicated to vox techniques, vox spirit, vox signal chains, vox compression, bkg vox, vox pitch, vox verb, vox saturation, vox harmonics, vox gear, etc etc.

+1

Sonar, Les Paul Studio, FTU, puter, plugs.........
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Make Space For Vocals In The Mix 2010/09/08 12:03:15 (permalink)
    Speaking as a pure novice i have noticed that when mixing a song, being the only musician and singer and engineer I tend to get attached to all the parts....i want that nice guitar part to be prevelant, AND that neato bass riff, AND the sweet sounding drums AND the vocal...
    If it were someone else's song i'd immediately hear what was truly prominent and delegate accordingly the other components in the mix.  It would be clear as day....not so with my own tracking.
    It helps to have fresh ears.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1