Helpful ReplyMaking MIDI Drums Sound "Real?"

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Larry Jones
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 834
2018/12/06 19:20:28 (permalink)

Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?"

Added December 27, 2018: Since this forum is scheduled to be locked soon and there will be no more new content, I'm leaving this note for future explorers: What follows may be the best set of tips, tricks, techniques and best practices about the topic in the title -- how to make your digital drum tracks sound real. It contains so many different ways of achieving realistic drums using the tools built into SONAR/Cakewalk by Bandlab as well as third party software (and even tin cans!) that you may never get around to trying everything.

We all have incredible power in our DAWs these days. We can make radio-ready recordings with a laptop. But as the old saying goes, power corrupts. In the world of digital recording, that means you might be tempted to misuse your power and create tracks with flawless-but-robotic timing and percussion, and who wants to listen to that? I hope the methods found in this thread will help you rise to the next level.

My heartfelt thanks to everyone who contributed, and best of luck to all of you.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

I've been using the MIDI drums that have come as part of SONAR -- Addictive Drums 2 and Session Drummer. My usual process goes like this: I start with patterns (loops), build up a track, add fills and breakdowns, cymbal hits, etc. as the song develops. Some of my tweaking is with pre-made parts, some of it I play "live" on a keyboard. I've gotten pretty good at this, but my finished product is still lacking, and now I don't think it goes far enough, so here's my request for suggestions:

What techniques do other Sonarians use to make fake drums sound real? Do you tweak velocities or randomize timing? If so, how do you do that? Are there plugins that work for this kind of thing? Are there other MIDI drum packages that are better at this than the ones that came with SONAR? (Toontrack? BFD? Others?)

I should add that 90% of my recording is pop/rock/blues/old-school R&B. I don't do any hip hop or EDM, so I wouldn't want to spend any time -- or especially money -- on those styles at this time. Other than that, I'd love to hear your recommendations, methods, software, etc.

Thanx!

EDITED TO ADD: Hiring a real drummer is not an option for me these days.
post edited by Larry Jones - 2018/12/28 06:10:52

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
reginaldStjohn
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 485
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/06 19:39:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kzmaier 2018/12/07 13:52:54
Larry,  I do things just about the same way you do them. I have found that the Superior Drummer 3 or Ezdrummer 2 browse and tap to find help me get in the ballpark. I then edit and tweak the drums to my liking. I still don't think like a drummer and having a real drummer play parts is the best. 

I think the main issue isn't that the drums don't sound "Real" it is you worry that your drum parts are what an actual drummer would play for that song or part. However, that is what makes each person's music unique.

AMD Phenom II x6, 8 GB Ram, 2 Internal SATA III HD
Windows 10
Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 Interface/Mixer
Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
Line6 Helix Guitar Processor 
Custom Made (El Bandito) Telecaster
LTD ESP EC-1000
PRS El Torrero SE
andyjobson85
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/06 20:33:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cactus Music 2018/12/07 03:37:21
I've programmed an awful lot of drums, mainly in AD2 and what I've found is that 'humanisation' comes from poring over every drum note, manually. i.e. not using loops or pre-built MIDI clips, make your own. I don't use any auto-randomization stuff.

Mainly this results in you manually tuning the velocity and timing of every single drum note, but it can become quite a therapeutic experience. In most of my recordings it takes around 1 hour to program 1 minute of drums to a reasonable level of satisfaction.

Usually you only need a few little embellishments to make something feel human.

The big picture is dynamics: differing velocities and ghost notes. If the software is simulating mic bleed, use it. If the software is triggering different samples based on velocity, use it. program ghost notes at a lower velocity on a different part of the snare skin. Use tom rimshots for emphasis/effect.

Once you've programmed a nice dynamic drum part, don't compress all of your work out of it, turn it down, and let the master bus make it noticeable.

Some examples of what I've done using these findings:

https://www.facebook.com/jobsonandrew/videos/vb.611805940/10156639594335941

https://soundcloud.com/andrew-jobson/anesthetize-porcupine-tree-cover

retired_account
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 262
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/06 20:54:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2018/12/08 13:05:43
Dynamics & time.

-You can take a heavily quantized loop & by varying it's velocities change it's feel.
-Try selecting just the individual parts in either sections or the whole tune (hats, kicks, snrs, cymbols, toms) & slide them + or -  a certain amount of ticks from one or each other. It can drive, push or lay-back the groove with the other tracks in your project
- Hire a real drummer
jerrydf
  • Total Posts : 280
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/06 21:37:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cactus Music 2018/12/07 03:38:09
Every note by hand. Start off with a copy/pasted pattern but revise that note by note as the track develops.
Attention to dynamics, especially those almost inaudible snare notes on shuffled rhythms.
Make sure each pattern would be playable buy a human drummer.
Things like triplets are rarely exactly on time...  a real drummer speeds them up a bit...  make sure the hi hat isn't still going during fills. Would a real drummer really get his hand from that floor tom to that cymbal in that time?
Make sure each kit piece is the sound you want. For AD2 I almost always end up with a hybrid kit.
I tend to keep things simple by having just two tracks for the drums - one for main drums and one for the hi hat and cymbals.
Jerry

i5 6500 3.2GHz; 16GB; Win10 on SSD1; recording and samples on SSD2;  + 3 other HDDs; 2 monitors in landscape;  back with CbB and also Cubase 10 Pro,  Komplete 11, Steinberg UR22.
Instruments: Various fretboards and amplifiers.
Listen to ... Cosmic Two-Step (2017)
brundlefly
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/06 22:13:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kzmaier 2018/12/07 13:52:24
I tend to be pretty lazy when it comes to drum programming and mixing, and don't always adhere to my own advice, but FWIW:

- If you have the chops, play everything in from a controller to get naturally expressive and variable dynamics and timing, and resist the urge to record 4 bars and loop it. Play all the way through, and take advantage of 'happy accidents' that might occur. To get the interplay between kit pieces, play two or three related parts of the kit together as you record in real time - kick and snare in one pass, open/closed/pedal hats in another, ride/crash/splash cymbals in another, toms in another, etc.

- Hats and cymbals tend to have the greatest range of articulations and pattern variability in the real world, and will therefore sound the most 'programmed' if that variability is lacking. They also tend to be where the magic happens in terms of 'groove' and 'feel'. If you're going to spend a lot of time tweaking things, this is the place to focus your efforts.

- Use different combinations of kit pieces/articulations in different sections of the song, and find a distinct rhythmic 'hook' for each. 

- Try an algorithmic drum package like Jamstix. Use it by itself, or just borrow parts to complement your own stuff.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 03:49:54 (permalink)
I started out with a drum machine,, a Roland 505 which still use, then when I first got my Atari I also bought a Roland  49 note controller and started entering notes live. 
I had hi hat patterns from the 505 which I still use as a metronome. 
I then would play a ruff piano part to set the arrangement. 
Then I would play the Kick/Snare live. 
Rewind and re do hi hats, ride, crash and toms. As said, a real drummer cannot play those at the same time. 
I would then edit best I could by deleting parts like snares during tom rolls or crashes and bad hits. 

I really didn't change this much until I bough my digital drum kit. THAT made a huge difference. 

Here's a way to have a digital drum kit for FREE! I tried for fun and it sort of worked.  

Mike up anything you can hit, cardboard boxes, an nice armchair works too,, and multi track record it just like a real drum kit. Now play the parts on the "kit" and use drum replacer to turn it into midi!! 
If you want to improve the kit... purchase a real set of drum sticks. Buy a cheapo kick pedal. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 04:57:57 (permalink)
Basically I use AD2 and export each AD2 kit piece to an individual track except cymbals.  I then process those tracks to taste with EQ, compression and whatever is needed to make them sound right.

Check out thus article

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 05:18:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kzmaier 2018/12/07 13:53:08

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Larry Jones
  • Total Posts : 834
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 08:11:25 (permalink)
I didn't expect so many great responses! Thank you, all. I have my work cut out for me.

(Johnny: I've been accumulating coffee cans and oat meal boxes for years, thinking I might make a cheesy "drum kit." I was planning just to mic them and use their natural sounds, but I'm liking your idea. Did you know that the percussion on "Susie Darlin'" is some guy slapping the car keys in his pants pocket? I love stories like that, where someone just uses whatever is at hand.)

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
Bassman002
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 321
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 08:54:14 (permalink)
Hi:)

Another suggestion:

Normally I do every note manually, sometimes loop it, change very often velocities (Hi-Hats especially), then humanize them.

But sometimes I play them with a pad and a drumstick at 50 to 70 % of the origin tempo, I know I have a much better timing (feel) if I play it slower! (I'm not a drummer, but bass player).
I start with playing the melody and the structure of the song (Verse, Chorus, Solo a.s.o) 
Then the Mididrums with a pad. Turn it to normal tempo and then the bass, guitars.... 

Bassman.

Cakewalk for DOS Shareware
Cakewalk for DOS 1-5
All Versions of Cakewalk
Sonar Platinum 64bit
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 09:01:55 (permalink)
jerrydf
Every note by hand. Start off with a copy/pasted pattern but revise that note by note as the track develops.
Attention to dynamics, especially those almost inaudible snare notes on shuffled rhythms.
Make sure each pattern would be playable buy a human drummer.
Things like triplets are rarely exactly on time...  a real drummer speeds them up a bit...  make sure the hi hat isn't still going during fills. Would a real drummer really get his hand from that floor tom to that cymbal in that time?
Make sure each kit piece is the sound you want...

I agree 100%. I would also suggest that it is generally a good idea to emphasize the on beats and de-emphasize the off beats. This applies at not only at beat level, but also at half-beat level, quarter-beat level and so on. Only emphasize a particular off-beat if the other instruments are also emphasizing it.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 09:08:04 (permalink)
Find a song that's very close in feel to the one you're working on and analyse what the drummer's doing. You might be surprised at the space drummers leave in certain places, it's a common mistake to keep the drums firing away right through a song.

The only time I got close to 'realistic' was doing a cover song and copying every drum part and fill by hand. Very laborious stuff. Nowadays I'd rather find a drummer online to work with.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 11:21:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dcumpian 2018/12/07 13:15:13
Hidden_Symmetry
Dynamics & time.

-You can take a heavily quantized loop & by varying it's velocities change it's feel.
-Try selecting just the individual parts in either sections or the whole tune (hats, kicks, snrs, cymbols, toms) & slide them + or -  a certain amount of ticks from one or each other. It can drive, push or lay-back the groove with the other tracks in your project
- Hire a real drummer

jamesg1213
Find a song that's very close in feel to the one you're working on and analyse what the drummer's doing. You might be surprised at the space drummers leave in certain places, it's a common mistake to keep the drums firing away right through a song.

The only time I got close to 'realistic' was doing a cover song and copying every drum part and fill by hand. Very laborious stuff. Nowadays I'd rather find a drummer online to work with.

Both Hidden_Symmetry & jamesg1213 are correct.

The key thing is to think like a drummer. 

I spent years analysing what drummers were doing and imaging myself playing the parts. When I eventually got an electronic kit, it was just a matter of getting used to the limb co-ordination.

However as Hidden_Symmetry said, dynamics is a big part of it. In particular, the velocity curves of you particular drum samples can have a huge effect here to making it sound realistic... especially if the MIDI loops you're using weren't created using the same drum vsti.

One thing I've learned (only quite recently to be honest), is that its a mistake to go for higher velocities to make things like the snare cut through. A real drummer wouldn't hammer the drums at full velocity all the time (unless perhaps it's punk or thrash metal). But this is the major reason lots of MIDI drum parts sound like machine guns.

Keeping things at a lower velocities gives you a much better dynamic feel... and you can always use compression and saturation to add punch at mix time.

As far as timing is concerned, I find this largely down to taste as to whether you want things "in the pocket", or going for a pushed or laid back feel. Heavily quantised drums though, will sound artificial.

For years I quantised everything as on my Amiga the timing was never that exact anyhow, so anything other than exactly on the beat just sounded out of time. Nowadays I tend to be more selective: hi-hats I leave alone, whereas kicks & snares I'll be more strict with quantisation on the 1st & 3rd beats, but less so elsewhere.

In saying that, in my experience, the notes & dynamics are far more important than timing for realism.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
Sidroe
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1954
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 12:36:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kzmaier 2018/12/07 13:53:32
I play a lot of different instruments and have dabbled around on drums. I do not call myself a drummer. But, I had the privilege to play alongside of some really great drummers. Playing rhythm guitar made me very conscious of how and where to lock in to the groove and these are the main things I do to sound as authentic as possible when programming drums.
1. Drummers ALWAYS subconsciously hit the cymbal hand harder on the downbeat!
2. Time adjust the snare on slow songs just a tad behind the accurate down beat for a relaxed feel. Usually during verses.
3. Time adjust the snare on fast songs a tad before the accurate down beat for a more tension feel. Creates a little more excitement!!
4. Ghost notes on the snare during grooves are really important.
5. No drummer I have ever watched so closely has ever played the exact same pattern over and over on the cymbal hand!!! Always randomly change the cymbal pattern every couple of measures or so. If it's an 8th note pattern, add some sixteenth notes randomly in the measure. Overtime you will find the spots to do this. If it's sixteenth note patterns, take out some cymbal strikes here and there.
6. Even with Factory played midis, ALWAYS reduce the velocity of the entire clip another 5 to 10 per cent and edit the velocities for the accents back up 5 or 10 per cent for more pronounced dynamics.
7. Always randomize velocities for each hand and foot!!!

I teach my students this simple philosophy. Notes are the voice singing. Rests are the breath between the notes. But dynamics is the pure soul of the music.
I hope some of this helps you. I do not profess to know everything about drums but I do think these crucial things that I have covered are the meat and potatoes of programming interesting drum tracks.
Good luck!

Sonar Platinum, Sonar X3e, Sonar X2a , Sonar X1 Expanded and 8.5.3 (32 and 64 bit), Windows 10 on a Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop with i7 @ 2.4 quad and 8 gigs of RAM and secondary WD 1 Tb drive, Windows 10 desktop, Asus i5 @ 3.2 quad, 12 gigs RAM, 1 Tb drive, 1 500 gig drive, MOTU 24io, 2 Roland Studio Captures, Saffire 6 USB for laptop, Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 mixer, Alesis Monitor 2s, Event BAS 20/20s, Roland Micro-Monitor BA-8s, and 45 years worth of collecting FX, Mics, Amps, Guitars, and Keyboards!
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 12:37:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kzmaier 2018/12/07 13:53:38
There are so many ways to do this that not one thing will work for everyone, that's the great thing about threads like this, you see how each and every one of us work differently but still reaching for the same goal.

I start all my track from scratch. I used to be a button pusher back in the old days when I used a drum machine.
But even early on I realized that writing my own beats from scratch set them apart from a preset (even a preset that has been customized to taste).

I will typically start with a 4/4 drum beat (Kick on 1, Snare on 2, exc) then play riff ideas and link them together.
Then I will go back and delete it and start over from scratch.

The mixing process is a bit different, For drum sims, I do a lot of sound stacking.
This is essential for me with rock and pop as I have 3 kick layers (one for thud, one for pop, another for crack)
Snare is done in a similar manner. Toms are bused to FX.

This is how I achieve drum edits from scratch.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 12:46:32 (permalink)
Jamstix. Big learning curve but when done right it can make AD or Superior sound legit.
ChazEd
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 121
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 13:34:14 (permalink)
You can use AD2 to humanize your drums.

You can import your drum midi files into AD2, transform them, and bring them back to your DAW.

It's pretty easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg0NklSRlWY

Hope this helps

Ableton Live 10 Suite x64
Korg Legacy Collection, FXpansion Tremor, Z3ta+ 2 & Rapture Pro
Win 10 x64 (Still knocking on wood...)
i7 4770, GA-H97-D3H, 16 GB, 7200 1TB + 2TB, RX 580, CX600V2
UA-101 (Thank you, Roland, for the Windows 10 driver!), SM57, MG10/2, MicroKey 37
kzmaier
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 13:51:38 (permalink)
WOW, great thread!!!  Big thanks to all the contributors!  This forum rocks!

Thanks,
Kz

Best Regards,
Ken
Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 13:58:51 (permalink)
I'm in a pretty similar style of music, and also use MIDI drums.
I USED to pore over every note by hand, and got quite realistic.  A little while ago, i realized a better plan:  Now i'll take a pre-made loop that sounds realistic (usually a real drummer that's created it, like Superior Drummer's stock) and similar to what i want, but then drag the hits to the places I want them and do any large-scale overall velocity changes on a particular drum.  And do any minor tweaking to polish.
This way, I get the human rhythm and velocity variation of having a real player, but playing the actually sequence that I want. 

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
msmcleod
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 14:24:10 (permalink)
Brian Walton
Jamstix. Big learning curve but when done right it can make AD or Superior sound legit.

+1 to this... but take note of my earlier comment regarding velocity curves. The jamstix internal sounds react differently at different velocities to AD2 (not tried Superior, but I suspect its the same).

Also, Jamstix does a clever thing with velocity/expression in its internal sounds to get a more random output. In other words, it might play velocity sample 64 at full volume, then for the same "hardness" of note play velocity sample 80 at a lower volume. AFAIK it doesn't do this when using MIDI mapping.

Bottom line is, if you're Jamstix / AD2 parts still sound like a drum machine, try tweaking your velocity curves.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
eve_ripper
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 14:40:47 (permalink)
I play it on midi keyboard or drum pads. It gets some humanity.
sven450
  • Total Posts : 945
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 14:43:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Steev 2018/12/07 21:39:40
Lots of good info here.  I also start with the loops provided in EZ2 or AD2 as they are played by actual drummers and are infinitely better than me trying to play high hats naturally on a keyboard. I'll often do fills by hand in the drum map.

One thing that is especially important is to vary the tempo throughout the song to sound natural.  Create a tempo map once your song and drum parts are laid out, BEFORE you start playing guitar or keys or whatever. Let the song breath into the chorus and speed up a bit etc. 

Once I have that, I play all the instruments to the drums.  Last tweaks are to go in and manually adjust velocities of hits and things to make it all as natural as possible.

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
Roland Octa-Capture            
Win 10 
i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
Some songs
Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
Originals:
 https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
tobiaslindahl
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 149
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 16:18:29 (permalink)
I use aerodrums with Superior Drummer 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CavlglPYVvQ

Looks weird, but the software actually works really well. I cant be bothered programming drums and having played drums myself this is much more efficient. 
jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 16:29:02 (permalink)
There are a TON of great ideas here.  My thanks to everyone who weighed in.

Here are my 2 cents: bleed!  Midi drums are recorded one at a time, real drums are recorded as a kit.  The difference can be pretty obvious.  If your drums vst lets you control the amount of bleed try turning it up and see if that helps.
Secondly, is panning.  If you listen to real drums they aren't usually spread all over the stereo field, but are panned slightly from the center, so maybe try tighter panning.

Again, thanks to all you posters.

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
jerrydf
  • Total Posts : 280
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 17:03:58 (permalink)
Now try and program a Steve Moore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZyaOlrb7E

For added realism, you can have the drummer get drunker through the track, drop his (/her) sticks several times; tell a few lewd jokes, slag off the bass player; Change tempo through the track (as mentioned above) ... but not in time with the rest of the band. Some of that you can do in AD2.

i5 6500 3.2GHz; 16GB; Win10 on SSD1; recording and samples on SSD2;  + 3 other HDDs; 2 monitors in landscape;  back with CbB and also Cubase 10 Pro,  Komplete 11, Steinberg UR22.
Instruments: Various fretboards and amplifiers.
Listen to ... Cosmic Two-Step (2017)
lapasoa
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 193
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 17:44:43 (permalink)
Andyjobson 85 good music.
Steev
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 21:58:16 (permalink)
Wow, great topic, hard to find something that wasn't previously covered here.
However, being you have AD 2, have you ever noodled around with the "Transform" functions?
 Open the "Beats" window and on the right side of the GUI click on the "Transform" tab and you have all the basic tool there to humanize loops, and even edit things you've previously sequenced yourself.
 Adjust velocity, accents, random timing, time signature, kit piece mix and resign pieces, and adjust the length of a loop a lot of good tools to experiment with

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

bdickens
  • Total Posts : 847
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 22:16:47 (permalink)
To repeat: JAMSTIX.

Byron Dickens
stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re: Making MIDI Drums Sound "Real?" 2018/12/07 22:16:48 (permalink)
EDIT:
Just downloaded newest version of these and they are not the same. Will investigate. I still have saved exe's of the older versions I use now.
Been using mdi drums since the late 80's. Alesis drum machine was first one iirc.
Now I use ez drummer 2 and Steven Slate Platinum Drums 4 and, ready Franks Midi plugins. It's a suite of p-lugs for midi like none I have ever seen before. been using them for about 12 years, but only for drums.
You can demo them so worth a download Google Franks midi plugins.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1