Helpful ReplyMaking the switch from Cubase

Author
manenbu
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 99
2010/07/18 15:34:09 (permalink)

Making the switch from Cubase

Hello, up until now I was a Cubase user and made the switch to Sonar 8.5 not long ago.
So far looks good - but I still have some very basic interface questions.

1. Is there an audio editor? In cubase if you would double click an audio click an audio editor would open where you can edit the audio - pencil, reverse, fade in and outs, copy cut paste whatever. In Sonar all I get is a window where I can't do anything (or can I? nothing happens if I click on stuff).
2. Took me a while how to glue midi clips together (seems it's called bounce, not glue). How do I do the same with audio clips? Let's say I have a few drum hits which I want to glue together to one big clip of audio. Not bounce it! Just make a clip combined of other clips. How do I do it?
3. Sampler? What's the sampler for drums? Is it beatscape or session or what?

As I advance more I will probably have more questions so this thread will be alive for some time I guess.

edit:
4. I used to use a lot of "Shift-G" in cubase. What it would do is set the currently selected clip on loop, and start to play it from the start. I know there is "set loop markets to selection" (or something like that) button in the toolbar, but this Shift-G thing made the loop, rewinded to the beginning of the loop and started playing.
5. I figured out how to make vertical lines in the track view, but the problem is that they show only on measures (which is Sonarish for "bars" I guess). How do I change it? What if I want to see vertical lines every beat? Every 1/32?

Thanks again!
post edited by manenbu - 2010/07/18 16:08:27
garrigus
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8599
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/07/18 16:34:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
1. No, not really. Most edits are done in the Track view via slip-edit, copy, cut, paste, etc. However, you can run an external audio editor (like Sound Forge) from within SONAR via the Tools menu.

2. Yes, use Bounce To Clip(s). That's how you combine audio or MIDI clips.

3. A number of different software synths in SONAR provide drums, but Session Drummer 3 is the main synth for drums.

4. Not available. You need to use the Set Loop to Selection feature and start playback manually.

Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/  - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/

manenbu
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/07/19 03:26:05 (permalink)
garrigus

But when I bounce to audio - I can't edit the specific components. Once bounced it's just one long audio clip. Anything about question 5 above?
post edited by manenbu - 2010/07/19 03:27:45
kp
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1496
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/07/19 05:09:18 (permalink)
In SONAR 8, you can create groups of clips, although I don't know what you're trying to do here, so bounce may be what you actually want.
dappa1
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2949
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/07/19 06:06:12 (permalink)
To do a loop Bounce to clip-groove the clip. Take the edge of the clip with the mouse and drag the loop!
garrigus
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/07/19 09:00:25 (permalink)
manenbu

garrigus

But when I bounce to audio - I can't edit the specific components. Once bounced it's just one long audio clip. Anything about question 5 above?

Are you talking about MIDI clips? If so, you don't need to bounce them to audio in order to combine them. Just select the MIDI clips you want to combine and choose the Edit > Bounce To Clip(s) menu to combine the MIDI clips into one MIDI clip. It remains a MIDI clip and can still be edited.

Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/  - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/

manenbu
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/07/23 04:09:52 (permalink)
Another question -
Where's the MIDI gate?
I guess it's somehow related to compressor/gate plugin, and the helpfile says I need to set it on manual to trigger the gate.
Where do I trigger it?
Couldn't find it.

Sonar 8.5.3 x64 on Windows 7 ~ C2Q9550 ~ 4GB RAM
garrigus
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/07/23 09:47:25 (permalink)
What do you mean by MIDI gate? What are you trying to do?

The Compressor/Gate plug-in is an audio plug-in.

Scott

--

manenbu
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/08/07 13:04:05 (permalink)
By MIDI gate I mean I have an audio track running (for example a pad track) and I want to turn it on and off using a midi note sent from a midi track.
What I used while back in Cubase was this: http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/extras/ but I was wondering if there's a native Sonar plugin to do it. Like I said, the compressor/gate plugin should be able to do it according to the help file but I just couldn't figure out how to make it work.

manenbu
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/08/08 14:47:30 (permalink)
Ok, the trigger is the button itself which needs automation. This is very unconvenient.
I tried using the VST plugins but apparently I can only write automation for them and not read as they are 32bit (bug or feature?).

So - to put it short, is there a way I can use midi notes on one track to turn audio on and off on another track? Or an easy way to achieve the same effect?

keith
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3882
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/08/08 16:11:51 (permalink)
Sounds like something you should be able to do. Which plug did you try, the gate plug from your previous post?

My guess is that you'll ave to go into the plug properties (via plug manager, for example), force the plug to behave as a synth (it may be categorized as an audio FX, not synth), insert the plug into the FX bin of the target audio track, and route a MIDI track to the synth instance (in the audio FX bin). Sonar lets you drop a synth into the FX bin of audio tracks, but getting the plug to accept MIDI may require you to force SONAR to see the plug as a synth. Does that make sense?

If you let me know which gate plug you used, I can try this myself a bit later... 
Lowline
  • Total Posts : 67
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/08/09 12:19:02 (permalink)
Something which will achieve the same thing would be to put the sonitus gate on your audio track and trigger it by sending an insert from the midi track to it's sidechain input.  The gate will then open and close etc. for the duration of the midi note.
manenbu
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/08/10 10:30:37 (permalink)
keith

Sounds like something you should be able to do. Which plug did you try, the gate plug from your previous post?

My guess is that you'll ave to go into the plug properties (via plug manager, for example), force the plug to behave as a synth (it may be categorized as an audio FX, not synth), insert the plug into the FX bin of the target audio track, and route a MIDI track to the synth instance (in the audio FX bin). Sonar lets you drop a synth into the FX bin of audio tracks, but getting the plug to accept MIDI may require you to force SONAR to see the plug as a synth. Does that make sense?

If you let me know which gate plug you used, I can try this myself a bit later... 

One of the plugins I used was the MIDI Gater from here:
http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/extras/
I enabled it as a synth and it works in accepting MIDI notes and gating. The problem is that I can't seem to be able to control the parameters with automation. It writes automation, but doesn't read it. It also happened with other 32 bit plugins.
Lowline

Something which will achieve the same thing would be to put the sonitus gate on your audio track and trigger it by sending an insert from the midi track to it's sidechain input.  The gate will then open and close etc. for the duration of the midi note.

Actually I did the same thing, but with an audio signal. Fired up PSYN with a simple saw wave (no envelopes) and used this as the signal for the gate. I'll try the MIDI method as well.

Lowline
  • Total Posts : 67
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/08/10 10:59:21 (permalink)
Hi Manebu

Just to clarify, when I said insert the send from the midi track I meant this to mean from the audio output of whatever softsynth is driving the midi track.  So it sounds like this is what you've already done!  Obviously if you don't want the softsynth to sound just set the output to "none". 

If you haven't already done so you also might want to insert the softsynth as an instrument track, so that you aren't dealling with a seperate midi and audio track.
manenbu
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/08/10 17:05:15 (permalink)
Already did it as an instrument track.
Just seems stupid to waste CPU power (although minimal) for an extra soft synth to trigger this, when there are dozens of plugins out there which use plain midi notes - but unfortunately are not available for automation in Sonar. I still didn't understand if it's a bug or an unimplemented feature.

progtronic
  • Total Posts : 75
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/08/10 17:27:35 (permalink)
also looking for an answer to #5 (more vertical lines in track view).

would really help for lining up bits of live audio.

http://www.progtronic.com/

Cakewalk SONAR Producer
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
ASUS P6X58D Premium, Intel Core i7-960, Crucial 12GB SDRAM DDR3 1333
2 x Crucial 64GB RealSSD C300, 2 x WD Caviar Black 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB
ASUS GeForce GT 240
Cooler Master; HAF 932, GeminII S. Corsair HX 750W
Cakewalk; A-500S, UA-25EX. 2 x KRK Rokit 8, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
johnnyV
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2677
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/08/11 18:18:59 (permalink)
The One big feature missing from Sonar is, as you say, the one click audio editing that Cubase does. I went nuts at first but if you own Wave Lab and it is installed you can have the best of both programs. By highlighting the track or clip and use  "tools" Wave lab should be a choice.
Once you do your edit in Wave Lab save it and when you return to the Sonar screen it will ask you if you wish to re-load and keep the changes.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
 Scarlett 6i6
Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

ston
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 965
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/08/17 05:56:17 (permalink)
garrigus

1. No, not really. Most edits are done in the Track view via slip-edit, copy, cut, paste, etc. However, you can run an external audio editor (like Sound Forge) from within SONAR via the Tools menu.

Can any audio editor be used?  I really like TWE (Yamaha's Tiny Wave Editor; it's less than 1MB) - it's very powerful and also free!  I've used it since...well, for so long now I can't remember (probably since Cubase 16 for the Atari Falcon). 

I still use it, so if I could invoke it from within Sonar that'd be pretty handy.

If anyone's interested, it can be obtained here:

http://www.yamaha.com/yam...=10227&CTID=401455

It runs under XP and prior versions of Windows.  I can't vouch for later OS's because I'm still on XP (but it can't hurt to try it).
ston
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/08/17 06:12:36 (permalink)
manenbu

Ok, the trigger is the button itself which needs automation. This is very unconvenient.
I tried using the VST plugins but apparently I can only write automation for them and not read as they are 32bit (bug or feature?).

So - to put it short, is there a way I can use midi notes on one track to turn audio on and off on another track? Or an easy way to achieve the same effect?
If you wanted to use a gate effect on the audio, then you'd need to drive an audio signal (e.g. a bass drum for tight/pulsed gating or a sine wave for on/off gating) and route that audio to the sidechain of the gate.  A lightweight (free) VST would be a good choice (low resource use).

Other possible ways...use MIDI (automation or 'learned' parameters) to control one of:

o the track's MUTE
o the softsynth's volume control (e.g. MIDI CC #11 - expression)
o the track's volume level

Alternatively, a lot of softsynths have built-in step generators and/or very flexible modulation routing which could achieve the same effect.  e.g. in Rapture's global page there are independant L/R step generators whose task is to control the output of the synth's left and right channels.

(I don't know why you can't read the automation back, presumably you have the read automation button enabled?)

johnnyV
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/08/17 18:24:46 (permalink)
Ston, If you have that software installed and it shows under tools then you are good to go. If it does not show under tools then Sonar does not recognize it .

Scarlett 6i6
Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

ston
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/08/18 07:27:49 (permalink)
Cheers johnnyv. 

I didn't check last night, but if there's no means to explicitly point Sonar at an external audio editor then I doubt it'll show up as a) it's very old and b) it doesn't 'install' itself; you just unpack the archive and run the executable!  None of this Windows registry nonsense :-D

I guess it's worth checking to see if Sonar correctly picks up on changes to audio files made externally to the application...
johnnyV
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/08/18 15:46:02 (permalink)
Well this is a pour work around but you can also try to copy and paste between the 2 programs, might work. I don't think export will work as it might cut off a few seconds of the track.  I believe Adobe audition will work in the tools menu and it is a free download.

Scarlett 6i6

ston
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/08/19 08:08:46 (permalink)
Free download, but staggeringly expensive

Cool Edit Pro is still available, but that's also surprisingly costly.

Both probably very bloaty too.

I think I'll stick with TWE!  Super-fast sample accurate editing packed with features all in less than a meg.
johnnyV
Re:Making the switch from Cubase 2010/08/20 19:42:00 (permalink)
Free download, but staggeringly expensive  

Oh, sorry, I didn't know that, I've seen lots of post about it being free>>Hmm, well I guess anything is free if your into it. I bought WavLab in 2001 and it was my first PC software purchase. I had used Cubase on the Atari so liked the company. I was not interested in using my computer for multi tracking but liked the idea of mastering wave files. I have spent a million hours recording stereo live and editing tracks in Wave Lab. I re-mastered all my old analog stuff too.
 In 2003 I ended up with a copy of Cakewalk Guitar studio and messed around a bit but I hated the MIDI editing so continued using my Atari until 2007. I still used my 8 track digital workstation for audio and would sync them up. Last summer a buddy upgraded his system to Pro Tools and sold me his copy of Sonar 7 so now I'm committed to that. I recieved a copy of Cubase LE with my Tascam interface so I was excited about switching back. But LE is not much compared to Sonar 7. The best feature is that wave editor by far. And I do like Cubase's MIDI interface better.  I didn't like the crap I had to go through to register the software though. I had to hook my laptop up to the net and it has screwed my perfectly running system up since. Wave Lab is still my main tool for everything I do.

Scarlett 6i6

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1