Managing DX plug-ins

Author
Jonbouy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22562
2010/12/24 08:08:10 (permalink)

Managing DX plug-ins

I posted this earlier in the X1 forum relating to issues with certain versions of the Sonitus Delay plug but thought it maybe more useful here.

Many DX(i) plug-ins ship with various versions of Cakewalk software and they are sometimes seen as mysterious things.  Distinct from VST(i)'s they are not controlled by the Cakewalk plug-in manager, although they show up there, no amount of scanning or rescanning will make them show up or disappear.  DX files have to be registered on the system before they work, a process that is normally handled automatically at install time.

There may be occasions however where you are sick of the sight of a long list of plug-ins you never use when it comes to selecting one you use often, or you may even come across a third-party DX plug you need to install manually.

What would help then is a good way of registering or unregistering them from the system.  Here's a simple method I use to keep control of them.

In notepad create a new text file, type in;

regsvr32 %1

save this file out as reg.bat (make sure notepad doesn't add the .txt extension to that, rename if needed)

Make another text file this time type in;

regsvr32 /u %1

Save this as unreg.bat

Place these 2 files (reg.bat, unreg.bat) into a useful place your 'Shared Plugins' folder I find is a good place because I remember what they are for then, but anywhere that suits you will be fine (Do NOT use the vstplugins folder, this is for DX files only remember!).

Now you can just drop whatever DX .dll, .ocx or .ax file onto either batch file to register or unregister it from the system.  So say you only ever use the Sonitus Delay (you can check the location and the name of the actual file to drag and drop in plug-in manager by selecting it from the DirectX Audio Effect (DX) or DirectX Instruments (DXi) lists) just drop the whatever DX plug-ins one at a time on the unreg.bat file to simplify the plug in list in Sonar etc.  Whether you then delete the actual file(s) is entirely up to you but having them unregistered on the system does no harm at all and they are easy to re-instate then without going through the software's full install routine to put them back.

Then if you wanted to re-instate say the Sonitus Verb for example just drop its .dll file on reg.bat and it will re-appear on the plug-in list next time you start Sonar without any need to scan your plugs.

Yes you can do this easily by typing the commands and file name in the command line but having the drag and drop batch files makes it easy enough to actually bother doing.  And I like to run a clean and lean ship.

I've not tried this on 64 bit systems or Windows 7 yet but I can't see why it wouldn't work there too, but XP and Vista 32 bit it works like a charm.
post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/12/24 08:36:28

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy

8 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Managing DX plug-ins 2010/12/24 08:38:53 (permalink)
    Very interesting stuff Mr Bond.

Well Done.

Thanks.

best regards,
    mike

chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Managing DX plug-ins 2011/01/18 07:14:37 (permalink)
    ive been trying to get cubebace le plug ins to work in sonar x1..im not as swifty as you are and lack the knowledge you have as well.
    this is a great post.
    so after making these to files can i drag and drop the cubebace plug ins to that folder to register them so there available in x1?
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Managing DX plug-ins 2011/01/18 11:49:19 (permalink)
    Steinberg plugins will only run in Steinberg products.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    chuckebaby
    Re:Managing DX plug-ins 2011/01/18 19:39:17 (permalink)
    bitflipper

Steinberg plugins will only run in Steinberg products.

bitflipper, isnt there a dll. wrapper i can use to convert them..if you say no than i will stop wasting my time..i dont have enough experience with changing file ext.'s so i'll take your knowledge over mine.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Managing DX plug-ins 2011/01/18 20:03:43 (permalink)
    I have no direct experience, having never used Cubase, but my understanding is that their plugins query the host for name and version information on load, and refuse to run if it isn't the right version of the right DAW.

Although VSTs are not generally host-specific, they can be made to be if the developer wants it that way. The spec accommodates host-specific data.

Example: the vendor has cut a deal with a DAW vendor to bundle its product, trading high volume sales for a low price but doesn't want to undermine his broader market (e.g. Lexicon Pantheon reverb, bundled with SONAR up until X1).

Example: a DAW vendor has developed its own plugin as an exclusive feature of its own DAW and doesn't want anyone running it elsewhere (e.g. Cubase's bundled plugs).

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    chuckebaby
    Re:Managing DX plug-ins 2011/01/18 21:07:53 (permalink)
    bitflipper...very insightfull..now i know what your talking about..which makes me understand why when i tried to run them the first time it said something about doesnt support host..thank you sir.youve been very helpfull..i wish i had caught the free downloads a few months back for the sonitus effects.i read somewhere they were giving all 10 away.idk maybe i misread..like i said thanks man,very helpful
    chuckebaby
    Re:Managing DX plug-ins 2011/01/18 22:47:48 (permalink)
    I JUST LEARNED HOW TO MANAGE MY PLUG INS!!!..i am so excited!!!..you were right about the cubebase vst's..no matter what i do it aint happening..but i just learned how to manage my plug ins and set them up nicely..its a big step for me as i just opened up like 9 new effects that i didnt have access to before untill i learned how to add regestered plugs..small step for some..big for me..sorry about the caps..just stocked..thanks again flipper.if you hadnt helped me id still be trying.
    SubNormal J3
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:Managing DX plug-ins 2011/03/23 00:14:27 (permalink)
    That's very helpful. Thanks, but how do you get unregister DMOs and DXs that don't have a listed file name, just a CLSID, the file name is blank. Mine is full of weird stuff from programs like Nero and InterVideo which I uninstalled a while ago.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1