Managing patches, suggestions?

Author
tecknot
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 766
2008/10/26 18:47:16 (permalink)

Managing patches, suggestions?

Hello Everyone,

Please forgive me if this has been brought up before, but does any one have any way of organizing patches for various synths, say like KORE? I don't have KORE, but it sounds like it does this for you. Lately I have been using P5 and SONAR (7PE) quite a bit and creating new sounds (patches). My problem now is that each new patch is saved with the particular (soft) synth.

So, I am asking if there a way I can go to a specific place (on my HDD?) to find a specific patch and open it up without having to know what synth it is associated with? That is, can I just go to a list of my patches, click on it, and then the appropriate synth opens up with the chosen patch so I can just starting playing? Right now, I have to think which synth played what sound before I can find the right patch.

If not, do you think it is possible for Cake to incorporate this idea into P5 of SONAR?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Kind regards,

tecknot

3 Replies Related Threads

kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Managing patches, suggestions? 2008/10/26 19:06:42 (permalink)
    Wusik has an app that will manage fxp/fxb files, and there are others, but I know of no tool that can manage presets for any and all applications, short of a custom database app, at this time. It's a real opportunity area for music software developers, imho.

Native Instruments browser is a start towards a taxonomy of sound files, but I find it quite lacking, as I have no use for half of their Genre catagories, and there's currently no way to change or add my own. Some of their other metadata categories don't seem to fill the space, either, at least in how I think about sound design.

I've thought of keeping my own spreadsheet / database, but I haven't gone farther than that -- thinking about it.

Some of the programs I work in allow me to make notes -- for example, the sound editor from John Melas for my Yamaha synth has this capability, and that helps.

But there's no tool that really helps that I'm aware of, yet.

--kwgm
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Managing patches, suggestions? 2008/10/27 06:19:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tecknot

Hello Everyone,

Please forgive me if this has been brought up before, but does any one have any way of organizing patches for various synths, say like KORE? I don't have KORE, but it sounds like it does this for you.

tecknot , you can download Kore for free, obviously it doesn't come with all the patches the full one does, BUT it's the same engine. The browsers for DP + Rapture are none standard, so doesn't pick them up in Kore when importing

regardless if you have a fair few vst-i's its nice.. you can also use it as a chainer for a few synths and morph between them etc..

if you have a lot of synths then it's helpful.
    tecknot
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 766
    RE: Managing patches, suggestions? 2008/10/30 10:48:32 (permalink)
    Thanks Kurt and Paul.

I check out the download of KORE. Think I'll give the feature request a shot too.

Take care,

tecknot
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1