Manufacturers Better Get Cracking

Author
rumleymusic
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1533
2009/03/20 14:43:40 (permalink)

Manufacturers Better Get Cracking

The Amazing Super Duper High Velocity...ehhh you get the point...USB

Apple must be banking on this since they decided to murder the Firewire protocol. I just hope we can see some higher end interfaces use the technology.

5 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Manufacturers Better Get Cracking 2009/03/20 15:24:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rumleymusic

The Amazing Super Duper High Velocity...ehhh you get the point...USB

Apple must be banking on this since they decided to murder the Firewire protocol. I just hope we can see some higher end interfaces use the technology.

USB 2 and Firewire are both faster then needed for audio unless you want to develop an interface with a silly number of I/O. The USB 3 thing might be of intrest to folks who do multi streem HD video interfaces and storage devices. If the CPU load goes up then it will be worse then USB 2 for audio. If there are features in the USB 3 protocol (not just speed) that help out with real time streaming stuff like audio or make driver developmet easier then yeah... that might be a good thing. There is a equal chance it might be worse.... we will just have to wait and see. The folks who develop the USB specs have a history of ignoreing the pro audio and video development community I hope this has changed.
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: Manufacturers Better Get Cracking 2009/03/20 17:53:58 (permalink)
    It sounds like they are developing USB 3 with professional media developers in mind. UBS2 is only capable of 1 way communication at a time, which is another reason Firewire, 400 while technically slower, performs better. USB 3 will be capable of 2 way communication, and will also have more power flowing through it, which will make buss powered interfaces more likely. Of course there is the CPU thing, which doesn't look like it will go away, but how many of our CPU's are being strained by our interfaces? How about in a couple years when we all have Intel dual 16 core processors?

The problem with USB2, no one makes good interfaces for it, except Sadie. And I don't think RME, MOTU, Apogee, Prism Sound etc. are going to be making one anytime soon if there will be a faster, supposedly more efficient technology approaching.

The problem with Firewire, Apple is phasing it out. Both 400 and 800. And it doesn't look like they are considering the next generation. Not to mention you have too look long and hard for a suitable PC laptop and TI compliant express card if you go the mobile rout. You might even have trouble with some desktops without a PCI slot firewire card.

Where does that leave us in the coming years?

SuperSpeed USB 3.0. (which seems silly because what are they going to call USB 4? LudicrousSpeed USB? )

Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    RE: Manufacturers Better Get Cracking 2009/03/20 18:40:05 (permalink)
    It may be that we'll left with AES/EBU, ADAT/Lightpipe, SPDIF and a couple of others, which by the way are already here and are quite efficient. Just because Apple has given up on a particular technology does not mean it will die an ignoble death. There are other factors that may keep the technology alive for some time to come, such as Digital video as well as Audio needs.

I don't see computer manufacturers and audio interface manufacturers running to replace their interface designs just because of Apple's business decisions.

BTW ADAT/AES/EBU are all capable of handling multiple channels of audio data at one time. Anywhere between 32 to 128 channels on some of the RME interfaces.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Manufacturers Better Get Cracking 2009/03/20 19:43:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Doc_Hollingsworth

It may be that we'll left with AES/EBU, ADAT/Lightpipe, SPDIF and a couple of others, which by the way are already here and are quite efficient. Just because Apple has given up on a particular technology does not mean it will die an ignoble death. There are other factors that may keep the technology alive for some time to come, such as Digital video as well as Audio needs.

I don't see computer manufacturers and audio interface manufacturers running to replace their interface designs just because of Apple's business decisions.

BTW ADAT/AES/EBU are all capable of handling multiple channels of audio data at one time. Anywhere between 32 to 128 channels on some of the RME interfaces.

No, those are not the same thing. AES/EBU, ADAT/Lightpipe, SPDIF are all audio only interfaces, single direction only, and non error checking. There is also no way to interface to a computer with those, they are not computer interfaces. What we are talking about here is a way to interface to the computer not just other audio gear.
    Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    RE: Manufacturers Better Get Cracking 2009/03/21 17:35:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rumleymusic
    It sounds like they are developing USB 3 with professional media developers in mind. UBS2 is only capable of 1 way communication at a time, which is another reason Firewire, 400 while technically slower, performs better. USB 3 will be capable of 2 way communication, and will also have more power flowing through it, which will make buss powered interfaces more likely. Of course there is the CPU thing, which doesn't look like it will go away, but how many of our CPU's are being strained by our interfaces? How about in a couple years when we all have Intel dual 16 core processors?

I think you're right on this - I just read an article today on sound and recording for houses of worship.

The panel of interviewees for the most part sees a lot more of the "digital snake" type of technology coming in (think of Roland's REAC and V-Mixer as an example), where you get multi-channel and full-duplex communication over CAT-5 ethernet.

The USB 3 spec, what little I've seen of it, seems to be headed in this direction. It'll be interesting to see where this goes, that's for sure.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1