Master Track in Sonar

Author
tammuz7000
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 73
2006/05/03 16:18:39 (permalink)

Master Track in Sonar

What is the Master Track used for...I can add effects to it ..but can't seem to figure out how to export the master track....so I have to always export files back and forth to take into mastering software....and then take the mastering tracks back into sonar as one track so I can add some S1 imaging...and then i have to convert it to a mp3 with another program...

I am trying to figure out how to do everything within sonar if possible...The mastering software I use is T-Tracks...and i use a few plug ins after I master it..

www.soundclick.com/thomasmoore

5 Replies Related Threads

Guitarmech111
    Max Output Level: -24.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5085
    RE: Master Track in Sonar 2006/05/03 17:07:35 (permalink)
    Master is the default main output port that all tracks are deaulted too(except for midi). It is the master bus.

ORIGINAL: tammuz7000

What is the Master Track used for...I can add effects to it ..but can't seem to figure out how to export the master track....so I have to always export files back and forth to take into mastering software....and then take the mastering tracks back into sonar as one track so I can add some S1 imaging...and then i have to convert it to a mp3 with another program...

I am trying to figure out how to do everything within sonar if possible...The mastering software I use is T-Tracks...and i use a few plug ins after I master it..

Peace,
    Conley Shepherd
    Joyful Noise Productions
    PC config: (Win performance base score = 7.7) ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX -amd fx-8150 - core processor am3+ - 32G Corsair 1066 DDR3 - PNY GTX670 2g gddr5 - Corsair Force SSD 120G - Samsung 750G SATA drives - WD 1tb Black (Audio files) - WD 2TB for storage - RME UFX - USB ASIO 2/2016 drivers Win8 

Without a mess, there is no message
    glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: Master Track in Sonar 2006/05/03 17:40:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tammuz7000

I'm not familiar with your setup (sound card, etc), so let's forget this "Master Track" and start with a blank canvas.

In the Bus Pane you can create your own new bus (as many as you like actually). Let's call this "My Master". You can create this either in Track View or Console View. I usually use Console for this, but many people use Track View.

You can route the outputs from all your audio tracks to this "My Master" bus. This bus has an FX Bin - in there you can place your S1 and T-Racks plug ins (if you have the DirectX or VST plug-in version).

You also must ensure that this "My Master" bus directs output to your sound card.

You can then render the whole thing to MP3 using the File, Export, Audio command, providing you have the Cakewalk MP3 encoder installed. If you don't have it, I believe it costs about $20.

Best,
    Geoff

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
    Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
    2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
    Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
    DigitalDesign Speakers
    tammuz7000
    RE: Master Track in Sonar 2006/05/03 18:52:48 (permalink)
    I understand what your saying and have all the tracks routed to a master track...in the trasks view...I can add effects and hear it.....so my question is when i export the tracks I select all of them...since the master track is a bus...I thought I was only getting the tracks selected on the wav or mp3.

in other words...if i put effects on the master track...is that a combination of all the tracks routed to it?? and will I get that in the exported files...the effects...

seems like that will save me several steps...but wasnt sure if i get the effects of the master on the exported files..

-Tom
    glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: Master Track in Sonar 2006/05/03 19:17:15 (permalink)
    In short, yes, if you want that.

When you do File, Export, Audio, if using S4 or S5 choose "What You Hear" and make sure all those little boxes including "track Automation", "Track FX" and (in this case especially) "Bus FX" are ticked. In fact, tick them all, to be on the safe side.

Best, Geoff

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
    Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
    2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
    Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
    DigitalDesign Speakers
    tammuz7000
    RE: Master Track in Sonar 2006/05/04 09:45:40 (permalink)
    Thank you...that's exactly what I am looking for...

so are you using mastering plugins this way...in the master track or do you export the files and then use the software..the software i have is T Tracks and you have to export the waves out...do do it...

I was trying to do everything within sonar...and stop exporting files in and out all the time...any other suggestions on how to do this?

so my process has been to export the combined tracks as a wav...take into T Tracks to master it...then bring that back into Sonar as 1 track and add the waves S1 Imager and a maximizer on the mastered track...then export that to a wav and sony sound forge and then make a MP3....

sounds like i can cut a few steps and then get the mp3 encoder....

-Tom

-Tom

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1