Master to Mixer Panning question

Author
snowman
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
2010/11/20 20:49:04 (permalink)

Master to Mixer Panning question

Hey all,

If I am monitoring my Delta 1010 outs (1/2) from my Master bus going into my Mackie board. I have channel 1 for (L) and channel 2 for (R). My question is this: should I hard-pan channel 1(L) on Maclie to hard left, or leave it center panned?...and the same for channel 2 (R)- hard right or center?

I have heard conflicting advice (Ican't remember where I heard it) regarding this. I've been thinking about it too much...like a dog chasing its tail. Obviously, it sounds different depending on which I choose, and I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing so I am mixing more accurately.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

11 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Master to Mixer Panning question 2010/11/20 21:36:09 (permalink)
    As long as you have one channel for each studio monitor, you can keep the pans centered.
    You can stop chasing your tail now.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    snowman
    Re:Master to Mixer Panning question 2010/11/20 21:41:29 (permalink)
    Thanks CJ...I was kinda hoping you would see this. Thanks!
    gustabo
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2591
    Re:Master to Mixer Panning question 2010/11/20 22:00:33 (permalink)
    CJaysMusic

As long as you have one channel for each studio monitor, you can keep the pans centered.
    You can stop chasing your tail now.
    Cj

True, if you are sending channel 1(L) only to L Master output of the Mackie and sending channel 2(R) only to R Master output of the Mackie.

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
    Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
    PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Master to Mixer Panning question 2010/11/21 00:45:03 (permalink)
    Your Welcome Snow

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Master to Mixer Panning question 2010/11/21 02:34:07 (permalink)
    Given the advice you've received I'm not sure that I'm understanding you correctly. I'm understanding that you are sending your Delta 1010 Left out to Channel 1 on a mixer and your Delta 1010 Right Out to channel 2 on a mixer. Both of those channels are mono correct?

If that's the case then you don't have one channel going to each monitor. You are sending your delta 1010 outputs to mixer channels and they are centre panned they are then being summed by the mixer and output combined to each channel L & R as such.

So in your case you will need to pan channel 1 hard left and channel 2 hard right. That's how it works for me with my mixer anyway, albeit mine interfaces via FW not a separate interface.

If I've misunderstood just ignore me.
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Master to Mixer Panning question 2010/11/21 03:39:56 (permalink)
    Sorry for the double post but since posting the above I thought I'd just double check my set up and here's a definitive test you can run and hear for yourself so there's no forum post misunderstanding.

Create a new project in SOnar with a couple of audio tracks.
    On track 1 import, then copy & paste a distinctive sample such as a kick drum so you end up with say 20 or so kicks on beat 1 of each bar.
    Pan that hard right in Sonar
    On track 2 import a snare sample, copy & paste this time on beat 3 so you've got 20 or so snares on beat 3 of each bar
    Pan that hard left

Set up your outs to your mixer and then try each channel centred and each channel panned hard L & R accordingly. You'll then hear how you need to set it up. In my case I need to pan channel 1 hard left and 2 hard right, if I leave them centre panned I hear kick & snare through both monitors.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Master to Mixer Panning question 2010/11/21 13:43:31 (permalink)
    ...in your case you will need to pan channel 1 hard left and channel 2 hard right

I would have thought this to be the correct answer. Maybe it's a trick question.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    jimmyrage
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:Master to Mixer Panning question 2010/11/21 14:07:38 (permalink)
    bitflipper

...in your case you will need to pan channel 1 hard left and channel 2 hard right

I would have thought this to be the correct answer. Maybe it's a trick question.

That's my guess.
    snowman
    Re:Master to Mixer Panning question 2010/11/21 14:12:51 (permalink)
    Thanks FastBB,

I will try your test. It sounds like your setup is closer to mine. While CJ is correct if my channels from Delta out are going to left and right monitor exclusively, I don't really have mine set up that way. Maybe I was a bit unclear in my description of what I am doing.

I have Sonar Master bus outputs going to Delta 1010 1/2. The outputs(1/2) of my Delta 1010 are going into the Mackie mixer on channels 1 and 2. Channel 1 for left and channel 2 for right . These are then sent or "grouped" to 3/4 (alternate output of the Mackie). The 3/4 alt outputs of the Mackie go to the Delta 1/2 Inputs. This way anything I have going into a channel on the Mackie can get sent to Delta 1/2 inputs for recording into Sonar if I want. The Control Room outs on the Mackie go to a Coleman passive line selector (so I can switch between sets of monitors). These are then routed to the respective monitor pairs.

I have two setups. The one described above is for mixing tracks and adding synths, etc. I also have a tracking setup in a basement drum room where I use another Mackie board for acoustic instruments. On this basement setup, the mics go into the channels, and these go out the channel inserts to inputs of another Delta 1010. To hear what I've tracked, I just have that Delta's 1/2 outs going to the Mackie into a spare channel where I can "solo" to hear what I've recorded. I will then take those tracks upstairs(to the other computer) for mixing etc.

Sorry for this long post, but I had to go through my routing and kind of lay it out in my head to see what I was doing. I set it up this way a while ago, and since it has worked, I just left it alone. Maybe there is a better way to do this? I am open to suggestions. Just because it works doesn't mean it is the best way...I know you can setup your mixer/interface a number of ways....I guess I just need to figure out which is correct for my setup with regards to the hard-panning of left and right outputs from my interface going into my mixer. Thanks for all the replies and help. I appreciate it.

-snowman

snowman
    Re:Master to Mixer Panning question 2010/11/21 20:55:06 (permalink)
    Thanks again to all who offered help/opinions. After the "test" suggested by FastBB, it turns out I DO have to pan hard left and right, so that I maintain my mix positions in Sonar. If I were sending each mono out(Left and Right) to its own monitor, then I could pan these mixer channels center. But since they enter the mixer then get routed back (summed) to a left and right out, they need to remain left hard-panned left and right hard-panned right. Thanks again.

-snowman
    gustabo
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2591
    Re:Master to Mixer Panning question 2010/11/21 21:06:39 (permalink)
    That's what I was trying to convey

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
    Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
    PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1