Mastering Question

Author
Studio1000
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 91
2006/02/06 15:55:19 (permalink)

Mastering Question

I want to run compression on my final mix, but if I have two main buses wouldnt I have to run comp. on both A & B. Or is it smarter to run everything to Aux buses and then to one main bus. I know I'm missing something simple here.

6 Replies Related Threads

Richard Brian
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3519
    RE: Mastering Question 2006/02/06 15:58:47 (permalink)
    Aside from wondering why your config uses two main buses, you could create a new bus and route the former to the new bus.
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: Mastering Question 2006/02/06 16:14:45 (permalink)
    you should sum them down to one bus and put a mastering
    compressor on that. compressing independently is probably not
    going to give you what you want .. particularly if you use a
    multi-band.

jeff
    Studio1000
    RE: Mastering Question 2006/02/07 08:08:41 (permalink)
    So run everything to Aux buses first and then to only one main bus. Is that correct?
    sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: Mastering Question 2006/02/07 08:36:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Studio1000

So run everything to Aux buses first and then to only one main bus. Is that correct?

What exactly do you mean by "Aux bus"? Do you just mean "any buss other than the main buss", or do you mean something else?

Sonar doesn't strictly have "Aux busses" the way hardware mixers do. You can have an "Aux send" vs. a "track output", but either can be sent to the same bus. The only difference between master busses and other busses is that the master bus goes to a physical out, while the others don't. All sound in your project should eventually get routed to the Master bus.

To keep your project from getting confusing, you may want to use certain busses specifically as "Aux busses" or "Subgroup busses". The difference would be that sound gets to Aux busses only via Aux sends, while sound gets to Subgroup busses only via track (or bus) outputs.

But really, the answer to your question is the same, whether you are talking about Aux busses or Subgroup busses. That answer is "No, only use busses if they are warranted". Tracks that need no further processing should send their outputs straight to the master buss. If you wish to apply the same effect to multiple sources, or you wish to mix a subgroup into a stem, use a buss.

Studio1000
    RE: Mastering Question 2006/02/07 13:20:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for your help.
    kstevege
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 490
    RE: Mastering Question 2006/02/07 15:26:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: sinc

ORIGINAL: Studio1000

What exactly do you mean by "Aux bus"? Do you just mean "any buss other than the main buss", or do you mean something else?

Sonar doesn't strictly have "Aux busses" the way hardware mixers do. You can have an "Aux send" vs. a "track output", but either can be sent to the same bus. The only difference between master busses and other busses is that the master bus goes to a physical out, while the others don't. All sound in your project should eventually get routed to the Master bus.

To keep your project from getting confusing, you may want to use certain busses specifically as "Aux busses" or "Subgroup busses". The difference would be that sound gets to Aux busses only via Aux sends, while sound gets to Subgroup busses only via track (or bus) outputs.

But really, the answer to your question is the same, whether you are talking about Aux busses or Subgroup busses. That answer is "No, only use busses if they are warranted". Tracks that need no further processing should send their outputs straight to the master buss. If you wish to apply the same effect to multiple sources, or you wish to mix a subgroup into a stem, use a buss.

Good explanation

Steve
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1