AnsweredMastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Cart?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
2017/05/20 23:18:20 (permalink)

Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Cart?

Hi folks ,

After having taken a personal inventory of how much time and work it seems I have to invest in cresting SONAR's learning curve I feel as if I'm standing at "The SONAR Crossroads"  ...

Now don't get me wrong , I'm not about knocking the program at all , it is quite the opposite for me .
When I do learn a workflow I didn't know how to do I'm always surprised at how much easier it is for me to get out of my own way and just focus on the music .

I'm grateful that all the info is out there VIA many sources .
In each and every case the SONAR features I have wanted to learn were always right there hidden under my nose in plain sight .

I'm putting this topic out there and posing these questions because at times I feel like I'm coming from a space of duality ...

On one side of the coin when I'm doing a song / project my focus is to get the music out of my head and heart to get it into SONAR as fast as I can .Technical considerations and easier workflows that I don't know may have to take a back seat .

The other side of the coin is I try to learn and work on new features ( to me ) and tips ...
I have noticed that I seem to have a lot of resistance to learning new things.
I guess I may have an acute case of  Learning Curve Indecision Syndrome  Don't always know where to start .
Once I get started I get overwhelmed easily and just shut down ...

I don't seem to have a concise methodology / master plan for how I'm working on cresting SONAR's learning curve ...
Admittedly it seems that I'm working it A la Cart ......

How are you guys working on cresting the learning curve ..
Do you have a plan you stick to ? or do you work the learning curve as the technical need arises  ?

all the best ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/20 23:37:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/28 04:20:48
I plan on knowing everything about how Sonar works by the Lifetime Update expiration date.

Take your pick:

or

soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/20 23:37:48 (permalink)
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/21 00:04:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/28 04:20:56
kennywtelejazz

Do you have a plan you stick to ? or do you work the learning curve as the technical need arises  ?

I think that with any complex piece of software, most users never approach 100% use of all the features.  Probably more like 10-20%.  There is something there for everyone, but you don't have to be everyone!

I think learning as the technical need arises is the most efficient way.  For one, your problem solving juices are revving in high gear, so you are more likely to apply the knowledge gained for an immediate reward.  That's something that you will not forget anytime soon!

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
kennywtelejazz
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/21 02:27:41 (permalink)
soens
I plan on knowing everything about how Sonar works by the Lifetime Update expiration date.

Take your pick:

or

I would be happy to make it to 2037
seems a far way off ...

thanks ,

abacab

kennywtelejazz

I think that with any complex piece of software, most users never approach 100% use of all the features.  Probably more like 10-20%.  There is something there for everyone, but you don't have to be everyone!

I think learning as the technical need arises is the most efficient way.  For one, your problem solving juices are revving in high gear, so you are more likely to apply the knowledge gained for an immediate reward.  That's something that you will not forget anytime soon!

I have looked at it just like guitar playing .

IMHO, Even the best out there in any form of music are just scratching the surface to some extent ..
I agree w you on the personal rewards and going tech first ...
I know this may be first grade for some folks around here but I started coming up w my own track templates. They are based on some feedback I have gotten on some sounds that people have liked in my music
I think back to how many hour's it took me to dial those sounds in ( one at a time starting from scratch )
Starting w a blank page and trying to recreate all that seems like a lot of work ...thankfully the little light bulb went off and I started there ....

hey thanks for sharing ,

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2017/05/21 05:45:02

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/21 02:30:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/28 04:21:04
kennywtelejazz
The other side of the coin is I try to learn and work on new features ( to me ) and tips ...
I guess I may have an acute case of  Learning Curve Indecision Syndrome  Don't always know where to start .

Could this be analysis paralysis (having too many choices)? I am a believer in lifelong learning, but what's the point of learning about features and techniques you're not likely to use? For me, I'm not concerned with mastering any piece of software.

I would focus on learning and practicing the things you find fun and inspiring. I know it's not always easy, and the majority of people who do creative work go through some type of block or periods of time where they're just not feeling it. If there's a particular area you're struggling with, then do some searching on that subject to see how others have dealt with it or ask for some recommendations here on the forum.
abacab
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/21 02:44:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/28 04:21:10
And I also find that by reading these forums, and in reading some of the topics or problems posted, it sometimes takes me to a place I haven't explored yet.  One step at a time ...

Plus there are always new tips from Craig! 

Expanding the comfort zone is always a good thing! 

timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/21 02:50:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/28 04:21:15
It seems that anymore, the music is a bi-product of experimenting, learning and fixing stuff. 
Not the other way around.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

rmfegley
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 114
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/21 04:45:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/28 04:21:23
I agree that most (even advanced) users aren't going to ever need all the many complex features Sonar includes. So I try to learn methodically the ones that I'm obviously going to use all the time. One reason is that trying to learn them thoroughly  without practicing them a lot is useless, so for example I know I'm going to use the smart tool all the time in the track and piano roll views, so tried to be as methodical and comprehensive about reading up or finding tutorials on that one as possible, and then just practiced a lot. Same goes for other edit tools, comping, setting up busses, patch points, and aux tracks, etc.

Other things I delve into when I find I want to do something and don't know exactly how, and then I just try to find the answer as quickly as possible, so I might not comprehensively learn everything about that particular feature or tool. Later, it might come up again, and I want to do something similar but slightly different, and then I'll learn a little more about it. Setting up remote control of softsynths in the synth rack is an example of that, as normally I use envelopes to automate parameters, but then working on a certain project I realized I wanted to be able to tweak from my MIDI controller (and I couldn't get my ACT act together). Same goes for some MIDI routing stuff that I'd never learned, but then I got Maschine and started using it as a plugin inside Sonar so I wanted to be able to set up different tracks to send on different MIDI channels to control Maschine groups.

Other things I'll learn when I'm having to troubleshoot something that's not working as expected. It's usually pilot error, so it's time to RTFM. Or it may be some incompatibility with a plugin that I need to find a workaround for. I only delved into how to use the event viewer because I wanted to send some CC controls of precise values at the beginnings of a bunch of clips to make a vst behave properly and the event viewer seemed to most efficient way to do it. BTW, does anyone else use the event viewer primarily to troubleshoot MIDI problems?

And then sometimes I'll learn something new that I might not have an immediate desire to use but I just want to check it out. Audio Snap was like that. I still haven't used it on any finished tracks, but I kind of got an introduction and I'll have to find some more comprehensive tutorials if I want to really use it. Finally, sometimes if I've got a few minutes to kill or I've got Sonar open and I'm at a stopping point or I'm just not being productive so I'll just open up the helpfile or reference manual and peruse features I haven't really used yet, or just look at things and glean some helpful details that I'd missed. One thing in that regard, I've been using Sonar for a long time, and so there are a lot of things that I learned a long time ago that have evolved and new features have been added that I was never aware of, and so I've just used certain tools  the way I learned long ago, and then one day I'll look at something in the reference manual and say "Holy crap, I didn't know you could do that too!" Certain things like basic editing in the PRV I learned a long time ago without ever even reading the helpfile, just started clicking and intuitively figured out the basic methods for entering and editing notes and velocities. So sometimes there things like that where I'll be quite surprised to find things that I didn't know you could do when I actually read about it carefully.

Wow, I typed a lot of words there. 

Sonar Platinum latest update
Windows 10 Home
i7-4790 CPU
ASRock Z97 Pro4 MB
16 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 960
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 
Alesis VI49 Keyboard/controller
Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S49 keyboard/controller
Native Instruments Maschine Mk3

Native Instruments Maschine Jam
Native Instruments Komplete 10
Various other commercial and free plugins
&
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/21 10:33:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/28 04:21:30
Sometimes musical inspiration comes from learning to use a feature that I hadn't really bothered with before.

Sometimes there's a real Wow I didn't realise you could do that, moment. Same as a musical instrument when you conquer a technique it opens the door playing more complex elements making for more interesting arrangement and composition.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
kennywtelejazz
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/21 22:26:15 (permalink)
telecharge
kennywtelejazz

Could this be analysis paralysis (having too many choices)? I am a believer in lifelong learning, but what's the point of learning about features and techniques you're not likely to use? For me, I'm not concerned with mastering any piece of software.

I would focus on learning and practicing the things you find fun and inspiring. I know it's not always easy, and the majority of people who do creative work go through some type of block or periods of time where they're just not feeling it. If there's a particular area you're struggling with, then do some searching on that subject to see how others have dealt with it or ask for some recommendations here on the forum.

Hi telecharge ,

Yes in the section you quoted a big part of it involves what seems to be unlimited choices ..

In my case there seems to be a disconnect if I can't take what I'm looking to learn and find a place to use it as a "before and after workflow " for its application . 

For example a tip such as how to use the loop explorer to create my own loops from my own recorded music is something I can handle because it is a bite sized learning curve ..
On the surface I can make a loop , I may even decide to pitch shift sections, change the panning and gain or any other number of things ...
Something like that is sand-boxed within that element of SONAR's functionality ...
IMHO , that would be a good example of a la cart style learning ...
I messed with that for a long time and found that I had little victory's here and there along the way ....

the opposite side of the coin , 
For many years I didn't use a whole lot of sends, buses , multi output synth options , read and write automation , track templates , project template's (my own or others )....I can go on ...you get the picture ...
Now during that time I treated my editing in SONAR as if I was working in an object oriented workflow ..
FWIW, at that time I was comfortable using SONAR as a glorified tape machine ...I could get my ideas down fast and dial a tune into a reasonable version of what I was hoping to get across ...
The thing is I started hitting a lot of brick walls ...
I knew there must be a better way ...I did see and hear people on the forum and in other musical communities dissecting and putting forth the info on how to do " such and such " within one's chosen DAW .. 

For the sake of what I'm trying to say let me just pick one little thing that I'm trying to do ...and stick to it .
I started getting tired of looking at a blank SONAR project ...in the past I would start that way and build up my sounds as the song progressed ....it seemed to be a lot of work starting there and a lot of time was wasted ..
I started creating some of my own custom track templates ...Yeah OK fine ..that's only the tip of the iceberg ...
Now within that type of shift in workflow I can clearly see the benefits , the thing is there are so many ways of applying these types of things in a musically tasteful manner  ....
My struggle is I haven't gotten to the musically tasteful part yet because there are so many subdivisions of sub workflows within that style of workflow of what can be done  ...many variables , choices and sub learning curves....
for example ....
Yes , I can see the benefits of creating templates , it speeds up my workflow and it has a definite "before and after" workflow advantage ...this is measurable and easy way to see why I would need to invest time in cresting the learning curve ...
Taking it a step further , one I decide to apply automation to any parameter or effect such as volume panning , changing the attack release on a plug or bringing in a reverb up or down in sections , I have entered a whole new world that I'm a newb at ...I can practice these types of things within a sandbox to get good at it , the thing is this sort of learning curve is just like playing an instrument ...
It's not always what you play ...it's what you leave out ...
In addition to that the real world acid test is for me to do this within the parameter of a song and exercise sound judgment ...I must be along in my way of getting to sound judgement because I have survived my many attempts  
of practicing some really bad musical judgment  

hey telecharge  it was really nice talking to you . as far as what I like to do that inspires me ...
That is mostly playing the guitar . I have been playing since I was a little boy ...
I need to say this . Guitar playing has had me up against the ropes just like learning a DAW has ...

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

abacab
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/21 23:38:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/28 04:21:40
kennywtelejazz

I started getting tired of looking at a blank SONAR project ...in the past I would start that way and build up my sounds as the song progressed ....it seemed to be a lot of work starting there and a lot of time was wasted ..
I started creating some of my own custom track templates ...Yeah OK fine ..that's only the tip of the iceberg ...
Now within that type of shift in workflow I can clearly see the benefits , the thing is there are so many ways of applying these types of things in a musically tasteful manner  ....
My struggle is I haven't gotten to the musically tasteful part yet because there are so many subdivisions of sub workflows within that style of workflow of what can be done  ...many variables , choices and sub learning curves....
for example ....

Hey Kenny!

I think that sums up my thinking pretty much ...

As a MIDI nut, I have been a Cakewalk user since the Pro Audio days, and have had almost every version of Sonar since.  I applaud their progress and continue to support their development efforts, and their soft synths.  But for my own use, I have concluded that Sonar excels at being a virtual recording studio.  For tools that support songwriting and composition within the DAW, maybe not so much ... not that you can't, but it can take lots of clicks to do away with that blank page!

If you were to walk into a real recording studio, where you were paying by the hour, you had better be ready to lay down some serious stuff, all arranged and ready to go.  This is way beyond the blank sheet of paper syndrome, LOL!

For the creative stages, I think that maybe this is a case of keeping it simple, using easy tools to get around in, until you have the sound that you want.  If you can find that in Sonar, great!

But in recent years there seem to be a lot of alternative tools that offer a streamlined workflow for the creative musician to consider.  I have recently acquired Tracktion Waveform 8, and I can see why Tracktion has some enthusiastic fans.  It offers a basic recording environment with total editing and routing flexibility within a few clicks, as well as some awesome MIDI musicality tools!

The Waveform user guide is 381 pages and can be covered in a weekend.  By contrast, Sonar is a beast, with a 2528 page user guide ...

bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/21 23:46:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/28 04:21:49
I work the learning curve as the technical need arises.
telecharge
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/22 02:18:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/28 04:21:56
kennywtelejazz

Much like "tasteful" music, a good workflow is a subjective thing. All I can do is tell you what has worked for me with the hope that you'll get some benefit from it.

For me, staying in a creative flow is more important than the most efficient workflow. However, an inefficient workflow can hamper creativity. It is a bit of a puzzle, and sometimes difficult to find that balance.

I do think that restricting your choices and committing to a sound is good advice. See this quote from mixer/engineer/producer Andy Wallace:

Andy Wallce
When I was working on eight-track or 16-track I had to make mix decisions while I was recording, and today I can go back and listen to these recordings and feel that I made good decisions. But I now get sessions with 100+ tracks where there will be eight different mics on the same guitar amplifier, and you have to listen to what makes the best blend, and so on. When I get a project that's full of unmade decisions it slows me down, because I have to put my producer hat on and sort out these decisions. I prefer for the recording engineer and producer to decide on the sound for a guitar, but instead, many of them like to keep their options open because they're looking for perfection. So I spend a lot of time trying to make people understand that there's no perfect mix. You can always change a mix and not make it worse. But do the changes improve it? In my experience, a mix rarely gets better with endless changes and recalls. For me, a mix is about trying to find something that works and that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and believing in that. If you are rethinking and second-guessing that all the time you risk losing that feeling.

kennywtelejazz
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/22 04:36:50 (permalink)

abacab
And I also find that by reading these forums, and in reading some of the topics or problems posted, it sometimes takes me to a place I haven't explored yet.  One step at a time ...

Plus there are always new tips from Craig! 

Expanding the comfort zone is always a good thing! 

abacab,

Yes , I also find myself reading a lot of threads where people are problem solving .
In some cases I feel lucky that I'm not having the same problems . In other cases I'm left wondering " am I diving deep enough into the program ? if I'm not , is that the reason why I'm not having the same problems ?

Craig ! Yeah Whew he sure is one deep knowledgeable SONAR resource around here ..

thanks for sharing .

timidi
It seems that anymore, the music is a bi-product of experimenting, learning and fixing stuff. 

Hi Timothy ,

In can go both ways on what your saying . I'm not sure which point is what you mean from your point of view.
If you happen to read this ...can you clarify ...in the mean time ...
Are you talking about that in days of old when people wrote songs and recorded them as songs ?.
Or are you talking about how the tech end has gotten so far along with what the tools can do that many of today's artists have careers based on stretching the limits of what the tools can do ?...
or option C what you really meant

Even though I'm an instrumentalist ( non singer ) the bulk of my time spent in music leans more to the traditional end of music ...tunes, structure , chord changes , melody , harmonic cadences, voice leading , and a bunch of  genre specific time spent learning the language of the genre I was playing / writing in ...
ex, Folk , Blues , Rock , Jazz, Country , Classical, R & B , Bluegrass , Celtic and many forms of World Music have certain foundation characteristic ways of conveying the musics primary vocabulary  in 3 main areas ..
The melodic content which includes phrasing and altered scales ...
The harmonic content which may or not introduce certain dissonances specific to the genre  , and the rhythmic content ....
The rhythmic content can be very advanced and often times it can be a world unto itself ...

On the other side of the coin if your talking about musicians that aren't looking to do any sort of music from  a traditional sort of foundation ...I think I can get that whole point of view also ...
A lot of music I have been exposed to since learning my way around a DAW has bordered around sound design type of sounds mixed in some cases with beats ...
I find that whole area very interesting and I can respect how people can express themselves using the tools in ways that are unconventional to me and my level of knowledge ...
When it come to that area , I have only made it out to the childrens end of the pool ..at some point I would like to delve deeper and make it out to the deeper end of the pool ...

nice talking with you ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/22 04:44:29 (permalink)
rmfegley
I agree that most (even advanced) users aren't going to ever need all the many complex features Sonar includes. So I try to learn methodically the ones that I'm obviously going to use all the time. One reason is that trying to learn them thoroughly  without practicing them a lot is useless, so for example I know I'm going to use the smart tool all the time in the track and piano roll views, so tried to be as methodical and comprehensive about reading up or finding tutorials on that one as possible, and then just practiced a lot. Same goes for other edit tools, comping, setting up busses, patch points, and aux tracks, etc.

Other things I delve into when I find I want to do something and don't know exactly how, and then I just try to find the answer as quickly as possible, so I might not comprehensively learn everything about that particular feature or tool. Later, it might come up again, and I want to do something similar but slightly different, and then I'll learn a little more about it. Setting up remote control of softsynths in the synth rack is an example of that, as normally I use envelopes to automate parameters, but then working on a certain project I realized I wanted to be able to tweak from my MIDI controller (and I couldn't get my ACT act together). Same goes for some MIDI routing stuff that I'd never learned, but then I got Maschine and started using it as a plugin inside Sonar so I wanted to be able to set up different tracks to send on different MIDI channels to control Maschine groups.

Other things I'll learn when I'm having to troubleshoot something that's not working as expected. It's usually pilot error, so it's time to RTFM. Or it may be some incompatibility with a plugin that I need to find a workaround for. I only delved into how to use the event viewer because I wanted to send some CC controls of precise values at the beginnings of a bunch of clips to make a vst behave properly and the event viewer seemed to most efficient way to do it. BTW, does anyone else use the event viewer primarily to troubleshoot MIDI problems?

And then sometimes I'll learn something new that I might not have an immediate desire to use but I just want to check it out. Audio Snap was like that. I still haven't used it on any finished tracks, but I kind of got an introduction and I'll have to find some more comprehensive tutorials if I want to really use it. Finally, sometimes if I've got a few minutes to kill or I've got Sonar open and I'm at a stopping point or I'm just not being productive so I'll just open up the helpfile or reference manual and peruse features I haven't really used yet, or just look at things and glean some helpful details that I'd missed. One thing in that regard, I've been using Sonar for a long time, and so there are a lot of things that I learned a long time ago that have evolved and new features have been added that I was never aware of, and so I've just used certain tools  the way I learned long ago, and then one day I'll look at something in the reference manual and say "Holy crap, I didn't know you could do that too!" Certain things like basic editing in the PRV I learned a long time ago without ever even reading the helpfile, just started clicking and intuitively figured out the basic methods for entering and editing notes and velocities. So sometimes there things like that where I'll be quite surprised to find things that I didn't know you could do when I actually read about it carefully.

Wow, I typed a lot of words there. 

Yes , you did type a lot of words there .
The good news is  a lot of what you have said does make a lot of sense 
The workflows you have brought up in your post are exactly the type of things I want to learn ...
thank you so much for sharing all that

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/22 21:31:02 (permalink)
A quick jump to get to a few posters 

mudgel
Sometimes musical inspiration comes from learning to use a feature that I hadn't really bothered with before.

Sometimes there's a real Wow I didn't realise you could do that, moment. Same as a musical instrument when you conquer a technique it opens the door playing more complex elements making for more interesting arrangement and composition.

+1 I agree with you 100 % ...when those type of learning curve breakthroughs happen it all seems worth it 

bitman
I work the learning curve as the technical need arises.

WOW you sure said a lot there . It was short , sweet , and right to the point  
hhhmm, considering my posting style do you give lessons 

Thank you , 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/22 23:23:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/28 04:22:08
Kenny, I checked out you YouTube vids today.
You can play a little.
Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/23 16:46:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/28 04:22:14
Hi. I am also in the "learn as I need to" category.
If I need to do something I don't know how, I come here and check.
I usually find what I need when searching here.
If not, I read the manual, and learn something new that way.
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/23 22:28:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/28 04:22:21
Zargg
All the best.

+1

My 64+ year old pea brain doesn't hold as much as it used to.

Sometimes I have to go back and re-learn something I used anywhere from 6 months to years ago but just can't "remember" how I did it. By that I mean the one-off things that are not part of my "normal" work flow.

So ala carte is my style.

I still don't use templates (but I do understand their power). I blame that on having so many VSTi programs that I'm never sure what I'm going to use when I start a project.

A Forum Monkeys song is different than a BBZ song is different than a solo project song. And within just those three categories each song is usually different than the last.

Leee
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/23 23:02:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/28 04:22:29
abacab
kennywtelejazz

It's true, most people know what they need to know, leaving the rest unused and not learned.
But I do try to use plugins and features that I've never used before, just to learn about them, and to get my full money's worth out of most of Sonar's features.

Lee Shapiro
www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/23 23:15:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/28 04:22:34
I most certainly have always just learned features when the need arises. Sonar has soooo many features and then to make matters worse they keep adding more! 
I'm basically lazy when it comes to digging in real deep and always pick the path of least resistance to getting a song finished. I'm not sure if I'm doing my songs a disservice by not using all those wonderful plug ins. It seems every time I get the urge to try something new the music suffers because I don't really know how to make that particular plug in do anything. So I end up using the same old plug ins that I understand. I don't even use Pro Channel because everytime I tried it I could not even hear anything happening?? What's with that little EQ ? it doesn't work for me and I know that's gotta be 100% pilot error. But I know someday I'll figure it out and stop having to put the EQ in the effect bins. 
I even figured out the step sequencer the other day because I had to make a drum loop and I don't have a keyboard on hand at work. Working in Home Studio has been a good way for me to get work done without worrying about missing out on all those fancy Splat features because they don't exist in Home studio. You can work away happy as a clam oblivious to Pro channel. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

telecharge
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/24 00:00:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/28 04:22:41
Cactus Music
I don't even use Pro Channel because everytime I tried it I could not even hear anything happening?? What's with that little EQ ? it doesn't work for me and I know that's gotta be 100% pilot error. But I know someday I'll figure it out and stop having to put the EQ in the effect bins.

Not to be a toady, but I think Craig summed it up nicely earlier today when he said of the ProChannel EQ:

AndertonAlso, the four different responses in the QuadCurve are extremely useful but that requires spending time to really learn them. As to the flyout, although I have Platinum, I never use it...I just vary the knobs to get the sound I want, after choosing the curve that's most appropriate for the material. I highly recommend people A/B blind-test the QuadCurve against far more costly EQs, and then make their own evaluations.

Not that I have really learned all the nuances, but I did find this page helpful for a better understanding of the EQ styles.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=ProChannel.06.html

kennywtelejazz
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/24 00:46:10 (permalink)
abacab
kennywtelejazz

for example ....

Hey Kenny!

I think that sums up my thinking pretty much ...

As a MIDI nut, I have been a Cakewalk user since the Pro Audio days, and have had almost every version of Sonar since.  I applaud their progress and continue to support their development efforts, and their soft synths.  But for my own use, I have concluded that Sonar excels at being a virtual recording studio.  For tools that support songwriting and composition within the DAW, maybe not so much ... not that you can't, but it can take lots of clicks to do away with that blank page!

If you were to walk into a real recording studio, where you were paying by the hour, you had better be ready to lay down some serious stuff, all arranged and ready to go.  This is way beyond the blank sheet of paper syndrome, LOL!

For the creative stages, I think that maybe this is a case of keeping it simple, using easy tools to get around in, until you have the sound that you want.  If you can find that in Sonar, great!

But in recent years there seem to be a lot of alternative tools that offer a streamlined workflow for the creative musician to consider.  I have recently acquired Tracktion Waveform 8, and I can see why Tracktion has some enthusiastic fans.  It offers a basic recording environment with total editing and routing flexibility within a few clicks, as well as some awesome MIDI musicality tools!

The Waveform user guide is 381 pages and can be covered in a weekend.  By contrast, Sonar is a beast, with a 2528 page user guide ...

Hi abacab ,

My rig way back in the day for midi composition consisted of a Yamaha QX21 , a Roland R-5 Human Rhythm Composer , a few TX 81 Z's  , a few Roland and Casio keyboards ,  a Roland which eventually led to an Ibanez Midi guitar , a rack mount 4 track cassette recorder and a bunch of other much needed hardware odds and ends..
I thought I was living high on the hog back then...Whew ! little did I know what the future was gonna hold   

In the past I have been in many top tier recording studios both as a player and as a fly on the wall .
I would say the thing I miss the most about back then was the social interactions , the networking and getting to play w some very good players.
I miss a workflow that involves rehearsing and writing within a group context . Performing live as a unit and then eventually recording in a properly equipped recording studio . 
As far as what I hated ...I hated the politics and the never ending back stabbing 

Yes for some of the creative stages , I do like to mess around out side of SONAR ...
Some of the other DAW's I like to use in a few cases are not as feature rich as SONAR ..And then Some Are
The ones that I do use are pretty much well recognized as being good .
In some cases they are SONAR's direct competition (which I don't give 2 $hits about since I like to use what I have )
What ends up being more important to me is being able to bring my work back into SONAR for refinement ...

Oh Yeah,  VIVA Waveform  Say , T did come out w a new video for Waveform ...
A few weeks ago I spent 4 hours inputting chords one at a time using the new midi tools.  I wanted to see how hard it would be to input the song Giant Steps ..after getting the correct chords in the timeline I added an arpeggio to each and every chord , then I took the sequence as a whole and edited the whole tune in the piano roll for better voice leading and chord voices ...then I stuck a Classical Harp synth patch on it .
After going the I wound up exporting it to a midi file to bring into SONAR ..
Now what a have is a tune that sounds just like Harpo Marx playing cadenzas over the tune Giant Steps

nice rapping with you ,

telecharge
kennywtelejazz

Much like "tasteful" music, a good workflow is a subjective thing. All I can do is tell you what has worked for me with the hope that you'll get some benefit from it.

For me, staying in a creative flow is more important than the most efficient workflow. However, an inefficient workflow can hamper creativity. It is a bit of a puzzle, and sometimes difficult to find that balance.

I do think that restricting your choices and committing to a sound is good advice. See this quote from mixer/engineer/producer Andy Wallace:

Andy Wallce
When I was working on eight-track or 16-track I had to make mix decisions while I was recording, and today I can go back and listen to these recordings and feel that I made good decisions. But I now get sessions with 100+ tracks where there will be eight different mics on the same guitar amplifier, and you have to listen to what makes the best blend, and so on. When I get a project that's full of unmade decisions it slows me down, because I have to put my producer hat on and sort out these decisions. I prefer for the recording engineer and producer to decide on the sound for a guitar, but instead, many of them like to keep their options open because they're looking for perfection. So I spend a lot of time trying to make people understand that there's no perfect mix. You can always change a mix and not make it worse. But do the changes improve it? In my experience, a mix rarely gets better with endless changes and recalls. For me, a mix is about trying to find something that works and that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and believing in that. If you are rethinking and second-guessing that all the time you risk losing that feeling.

Thank you telecharge for that thoughtful post yes it does hold a number of solutions and an integralkey to some of my problems ..
It seems the musical problems I'm having are of my own creation .  I need to give this some more thought .

Thank you for sharing that

bitman
Kenny, I checked out you YouTube vids today.
You can play a little.

That fella when he was young couldn't even make it out of Mel Bay's Book one

Thank you for the kindness

Kenny
post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2017/05/24 20:52:27

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/24 01:00:14 (permalink)
dupe post

Kenny
post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2017/05/24 02:21:42

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/24 08:08:37 (permalink)
Zargg
All the best.

Hi Ken ,

Overall in a nutshell , what you have said is pretty much how I have been working it ...learn as I need to ...
thank you for sharing that

From this point on I'm just riffing out loud .

In my case , while using that approach I seem to keep hitting a lot of brick walls ..

What if what I have thought was a proven workflow was actually holding me back ?
Is it a technical issue ? has the program moved on so much that I'm just holding on to my past way of working ?
Is there a much better way for me to do what I have been attempting to do this whole time ?
Am I always in the best position " objectively "to be able to judge if it's time to learn to execute different workflows  to get different results than what I have been getting thus far ?
When it comes to giving up some of my comfortable familiar "to me " ways of working in music production , Am I in for the bean ? or am I in for the whole Burrito ?  
Can I humble myself enough to ask for help ? ( and be OK with losing a little face temporarily )
Can I accept the help when it is offered ? Can I accept it graciously ?  

some food for thought ..

I'm open to hear what people think .

all the best,

Kenny
post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2017/05/24 20:54:49

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/24 21:11:44 (permalink)
bapu
Zargg
All the best.

+1

My 64+ year old pea brain doesn't hold as much as it used to.

Sometimes I have to go back and re-learn something I used anywhere from 6 months to years ago but just can't "remember" how I did it. By that I mean the one-off things that are not part of my "normal" work flow.

So ala carte is my style.

I still don't use templates (but I do understand their power). I blame that on having so many VSTi programs that I'm never sure what I'm going to use when I start a project.

A Forum Monkeys song is different than a BBZ song is different than a solo project song. And within just those three categories each song is usually different than the last.

I've had the same thing happen to me with having to relearn a workflow I had used successfully in the past .
Yes I would imagine you having a hard time using a template to start a song that involves 4 or 5 forum members doing a collab
thanks for sharing ...
Leee
abacab
kennywtelejazz

It's true, most people know what they need to know, leaving the rest unused and not learned.
But I do try to use plugins and features that I've never used before, just to learn about them, and to get my full money's worth out of most of Sonar's features.

I like your point of view and attitude

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/24 22:11:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/28 04:22:57
From what I have gathered, these are intended for the final stage of mixes rather than the development stage. Mind you if your computer can handle it then a few of these placed on busses or whatever will make a difference. I like the fact you can can mix left and right channels independently.

This could be a good replacement for my UA Precisiion Multiband but no gate in the Sonar plug-in.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/25 01:34:34 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/28 04:24:15
timidi

That's up to the user, not the company making a product. 

There was an update to Ableton Live that was huge, I think it was maybe Ableton 4. Gerhard Behles asked how I liked the new features. I told him that frankly, they were great but I didn't need them for what I do, so I learned only a few of them. I thought he would be offended but instead, he got a big smile and said "That's perfect, we give you the possibilities, you use what you need."

As to the OP, I recommend learning something when you need it to accomplish a specific musical or technical goal. Otherwise, just keep doing what you need to do.

The paradox is that the monthly update cuts the learning curve into 12 pieces compared to a big yearly update. Because it's less stuff to learn, people feel obliged to learn it. Don't. Use what you need when you need it...and know that it's there for when you do.

I'm hoping the re-launched eZine will help people sort out what they need from what they don't.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: Mastering SONAR's L C. Are you working a Plan you stick to or are you working A la Ca 2017/05/25 09:23:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/28 04:24:34
I apologise I misunderstood the question. Everyday is a learning curve for me but I live to learn and forget where applicable (not always by choice). TBF unless it's some whacked out VST machine or creative effect, what you learned in another DAW or even in Sonar should transpose to Protools, Cubase, Samplitude etc.

Or even if you're used to using real studio hardware then in theory you should be up and going soon enough.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1