Mastering Signal Chain (ADVICE TAKEN)

Author
Butch
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 175
2011/12/01 20:07:51 (permalink)

Mastering Signal Chain (ADVICE TAKEN)

Hello all,

I am at the point of mastering an album.  I am using the compressor and volume maximizer from Ozone, but I like the BBE Sonic Maximizer better than the Ozone Exciter.  The question is:  Should I put the BBE before or after Ozone?  The BBE can be adjusted for output level so it could be put after the compression and volumizer without adding to the signal.  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
post edited by Butch - 2011/12/04 19:50:01

Butch
Let's make some art!

13 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Mastering Signal Chain 2011/12/01 23:43:06 (permalink)
    But the BBE before Ozone.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Mastering Signal Chain 2011/12/02 07:37:09 (permalink)
    Dave is right about putting the volume maximising last.

But can I just say that why do you need the Sonic Maximiser. Here is an interesting experiment. Find the position on those two controls that do not change the EQ of the music in any way ie perfectly flat. I found on the hardware unit it was at 11 O Clock too BTW.

Are you mixes needing the BBE to make them brighter and deeper. When you get the EQ right (flat) listen to a quality mix and switch the BBE in and out. I found the bypassed sound was actually better and a slightly higher integrity. Then no matter what you do with the low or Hi controls you would not use it then because it is going to make your mix actually sound worse. And when you start boosting up high and down low I think it gets even more worse.

Very slight amounts of EQ for example can make a huge difference and if you use a quality 64 bit plugin that is linear phase the rest of the music won't change at all, it will stay great. EQ like +0.4 db from say 1.5 Khz to 4 Khz. Very gentle and broad curve upward. Then a slight shelf from 8 Khz upward of about +1.5 db or so. Your whole mix will be just clearer and push through an amazing amount. All this without any BBE help.

Maybe think a quality EQ instead of the BBE prior to Ozone compressor and limiter. And spend the time really working that compressor to get the music through it sounding great.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Mastering Signal Chain 2011/12/02 09:48:44 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

But can I just say that why do you need the Sonic Maximiser. Here is an interesting experiment. Find the position on those two controls that do not change the EQ of the music in any way ie perfectly flat. I found on the hardware unit it was at 11 O Clock too BTW.

Are you mixes needing the BBE to make them brighter and deeper. When you get the EQ right (flat) listen to a quality mix and switch the BBE in and out. I found the bypassed sound was actually better and a slightly higher integrity. Then no matter what you do with the low or Hi controls you would not use it then because it is going to make your mix actually sound worse. And when you start boosting up high and down low I think it gets even more worse.

Very slight amounts of EQ for example can make a huge difference and if you use a quality 64 bit plugin that is linear phase the rest of the music won't change at all, it will stay great. EQ like +0.4 db from say 1.5 Khz to 4 Khz. Very gentle and broad curve upward. Then a slight shelf from 8 Khz upward of about +1.5 db or so. Your whole mix will be just clearer and push through an amazing amount. All this without any BBE help.

Maybe think a quality EQ instead of the BBE prior to Ozone compressor and limiter. And spend the time really working that compressor to get the music through it sounding great.

LOL I was going to reply to this thread hours ago and figured I better not say anything due to my dislike for the BBE. But since Jeff sort of summed up what I was going to say....I'll just share this with you, Butch. The one thing you'll notice if you use the BBE a bit extreme (and most people do) is it cuts out all the good mids in your material and adds either razor sharp highs, sub lows or both at once. There's no happy medium...and to me it doesn't "excite" anything. It makes your mix smaller and removes mids that you need. That said, when I was first learning how to do this stuff years ago, I did somewhat borrow the BBE to listen to the amount of mids I had going on. If you set the high and the low both at a notch below 2 and click it on and off, it will give you an idea on the mids it is removing. Keep in mind though...this is just a test to listen for your mids....I never would process with the BBE. The good thing about using it this way is you'll be able to tell if you have too much mid-range congestion within your mix and you'll be able to tell whether the BBE is removing too much. From my experience with the BBE, it removed from 500Hz up to about 900 Hz.

From here once you get a general idea on what your mids are sounding like while toggling the BBE off and on, you use a real eq and attempt to find out where in the mids the BBE is affecting the signal. This way you literally have control over how much mids you are working with. With the BBE, it just strips them out all the time and you don't want that. Sometimes we are unaware of how warm we are attempting to make a mix. Using the BBE like I mentioned using the settings I mentioned will give you a rough idea as to what's going on there. But don't leave it on and use it...trust me when I tell you. You want control over the things it is doing and in a mastering situation, totally killing mids, adding subs and harsh high end is not the key to a great final master. But I did use the BBE as a monitoring tool until I learned what to listen for as far as too much mid range in a mix. Once I knew what to listen for and knew where those frequencies come in, I didn't use the BBE anymore. Regardless of what it appears to sound like to you and what the ad's say about it....there's nothing in the BBE that a good eq can't get with way more control. But if you're hell bent on using it...just be careful. You'll find out in time "that Danny guy was right". :)

Here's another situation for you real quick. Years ago when the BBE came out, it was of course supposed to be the competition for the Aphex Aural Exciter. Then some joker decided to put one in his guitar rig and everyone started using them there as well. I jumped on the band wagon because everyone was bragging about this thing. I bought the hardware unit and put it in my rig. I used it for about 3 weeks thinking it was fair...but something was missing in my tone that used to be thicker. I turned it off and my tone was thick again. It does this same thing to a full mix. Removing those mids removes your thickness. Granted, 75% of the time when I master material for clients...they warm things up so much I have to remove a little mids due to some of it congesting the material a bit. That BBE just totally can make things smaller and more abrasive if you're not careful. That's what it did to my guitar tone as well as the mixes I've tried it on. Using it in moderation is barely using it at all...like each dial on 1 or something...or 1 1/2. As soon as you go over that near 2 setting I mentioned...in comes the sub low bass the harsh high end and your mids are just about gone. I don't mean to sound like I'm bagging on this plug....especially if you like it....I'm just sharing my experience with you. Good luck.

-Danny
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/12/02 09:52:23

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    bitflipper
    Re:Mastering Signal Chain 2011/12/02 11:07:34 (permalink)
    Like Danny, I refrained from adding any editorial comment about BBE. But since he and Jeff have broken the ice, I'll have to add a big +1 to everything they've said above. The plugin makes generic assumptions about what your song needs, assumptions that are wrong 99 times out of 100. I've never heard of any pro ME that uses it.

My Stuff
    mtgonzalez
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 249
    Re:Mastering Signal Chain 2011/12/02 15:32:59 (permalink)
    and to think i was about to pick up the BBE sonic sweet. clarify are you saying not to use this plugin at all or just during mastering?

Win 10 - 64-bit - Intel Core I5 3.3GHz 
    1TB HD 500 GB SSD - 8GB Ram - 7200RPM
    X3 Producer & Sonar Platinum
    www.mtgrecordingstudio.com
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Mastering Signal Chain 2011/12/02 15:45:10 (permalink)
    Yeah I think not so much in mastering only. I should have mentioned that it surely can be used in a mixdown situation although from Danny's post not so much on guitar busses as it is capable of weakening the mids form great guitar sounds.

I don't use it now so much or at all but I found it was good on some synth type of busses especially if the synth or patch was bit uninteresting from an EQ point of view and needed some extra beefing or brightening up. But just on a track or buss only and you can still only use a bit of it and the effect will be quite strong.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    bitflipper
    Re:Mastering Signal Chain 2011/12/02 20:08:51 (permalink)
    Well, really anything's legal when it comes to effects. If you put it on your accordion track and like it, then as they say - if sounds good...but it's probably not much use on a master bus.

It's been quite awhile since this topic's come up, but in years past BBE has been an occasional hot-button issue. There are some who use it on every project and defend it whenever it gets trashed on a forum. I think, though, that a poll of experienced practitioners would reveal a strong anti-BBE consensus.

My Stuff
    Butch
    Re:Mastering Signal Chain 2011/12/03 18:25:05 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone!

I tried putting it before and after Ozone and I agree that before sounds better.

That being said, I'm not offended by other's opinions.  I kind of like the BBE, (I have the software version) and I use it sparingly, (usually at 2 and 2).  When I toggle the effect on and off, at that level, it always sounds better to me when it is on.  Not just more highs and lows, but more clarity and focus.  Ozone also comes with an "exciter", but I didn't like the sound of it as much.  To me, the BBE is like audio MSG, I know it's not good for me...but it's so yummy!

I'm sure if I had mad skills like Bob Ludwig, and some killer plug ins, I could do much better without it.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again.

Butch
    Let's make some art!
    Butch
    Re:Mastering Signal Chain 2011/12/04 19:54:53 (permalink)
    Hello all,

Short version:  The BBE was making the bottom end loud and muddy.  I turned off the low process and it sounded better.  Then I cut a little with Ozones EQ at 250 and it cleared up even more.  Then I tried to match the sound of the BBE high process with that same EQ.  I got close, but the BBE just sounded a little more "3D".  However, the strictly EQ version sounds a little less "processed"..imagine that!  So I am still tweaking and just one step away from ditching the BBE.  I guess I just wasn't confident in my skills, so I thought that the BBE could do a better job than I could...maybe not!

Thanks again!

Butch
    Let's make some art!
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Mastering Signal Chain 2011/12/04 20:20:53 (permalink)

Good to read Butch.

I think most of us really want to think that anyone can make anything sound great so there's no reason to be discouraging.

I used the BBE for about a week about 10 years ago and I haven't used it since... so I was sort of avoiding this thread. :-)

It was nice to see everyone be so nice about the possibility that you might be able to make good use of it.

I'll bet a bunch of readers will be glad to see you've taken the journey and come back the wiser.

:-)

all the best,
    mike

larkvoz
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:Mastering Signal Chain 2011/12/10 11:33:05 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

Jeff, you nailed this one, and I wish I new this 5 years ago!
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:Mastering Signal Chain 2011/12/10 19:07:13 (permalink)
    Because I am chasing 500 posts, I will weigh in and go WHY the sonic maximizer for mastering, I think eveyone else here has said the same thing.

I have UAD's sonic maximizer and I use it sparingly in mixing.

Is the consensus here that a sonic maxamizer is more of a mixing tool than a mastering tool.

Of course there are no rules and if you were doing a restoration mastering job, I could see why you would use the a sonic maximizer.

Peace Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Mastering Signal Chain 2011/12/11 09:18:50 (permalink)
    I don't need the posts like Ben does... and I'm late to the party as usual.....

I don't have the BBE thing so I can speak about it. 

I do have Ozone 3&4. I use them in the master buss all the time.... usually 4 on a custom preset that gets tweeked every time from the preset starting point. 

I find that quite often I will tun off the loudness maximizer. By doing so, the music seems to "breathe' more. It's basically a big compressor (as I understand it) and with it on, yeah the music is louder, but the dynamics get all shot to hell and the wave looks like the classic brick. By turning it off, the brick disappears and the music gains some dynamic range.  

When I get to the final stage of mixing and mastering.....where I am about to say "it's done" I will often pop the Ozone 4 GUI back on the screen (the one in the master buss) and see what modules I have on or off.  I will shut the ones off that are on, one by one, as I listen to the mix. If there is not a major difference I will very often simply leave it off. ...and of course vice versa as well. Generally if something is off, it's off because it did not make any sort of positive contribution to the final sound of the mix. 

and yeah I use O3/4 in the tracks too as needed. Same rules apply there.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1