Mastering

Author
slugo3
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2006/11/21 14:39:04 (permalink)

Mastering

I am looking for a easy fix for a more complex problem. I have 8 hard rock songs that I wrote and recorded over the coarse of the last 2 years. I am content with the mixes of the individual tracks however because I used so many different recording techniques (rooms, instrument sounds, lead vocal mics) they lack consistancy when placed on the 1 CD. I guess what I am looking for is some advise on mastering these tracks without getting too carried away. I am not looking for perfection, just a little more adhesivness. Could some one give me a couple pointers. I am using Sonar 5 Producer.

Also, could someone provide me with some Generic Multiband (EQ/Compression) setting for Male Rock Vocals? Finally, I reinstalled Windows on my pc and lost my Limiter plug-in. I was wondering if Sonar 5 has a limiter or what I could substitute in place of a limiter with the existing plug-ins in Sonar 5....I just need it for vocals applications.

Thank you in advance for any advice

Slugo

6 Replies Related Threads

basstracker7769
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: Mastering 2006/11/21 16:32:06 (permalink)
    I have a few steps pretty easy of course it depends how good the mixes sound
    i usually run it through a smooth compressor i use the UAD fairchild or u could use a multiband and then a great EQ ment for mastering such as UADs EQs or PSP master Q etc. then heres a great secret HAR-BAL its a software used for balancing out frequencies its only like $95 and makes a huge difference then after HAL BAL use some kinda of limiter such as L3 or L2 or even L1 from waves to set ur levels up to the max you want and u have your master. I will tell u though dont run ur mixes through some kinda stereo buss compressor so they get all squashed just get a good solid level, leave the rest for the mastering process you will get your level loud enough then
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Mastering 2006/11/22 10:27:52 (permalink)
    As ever, here is about all I have to say on the topic:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=475013

Cheers.
    Studio1000
    • Total Posts : 91
    RE: Mastering 2006/11/22 10:35:04 (permalink)
    I think one thing that helps me is to run the tracks through some kind of meter and look at your average RMS levels. Check to make sure your RMS levels are close on each song. That will help make the cd sound tighter. Also I use CD Architect to put together the final master cd, it is useful for applying an effect to the whole CD, Like just a hint of reverb to polish everything (Coat of Gloss).

I'd run your tracks through the SPAN and check to make sure your EQ's arent wacked out from song to song., Like in one track your Bass is really heavy in the next it's reall weak... I also like using presets on the vocals, so the reverb is close on each track.. and if your tracks are close I like using close EQ settings too.

HTH...

I use Voxengo's Span, it's free too. I havent tried HAR-BAL, but read good things about it.

Voxengo SPAN
    basstracker7769
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: Mastering 2006/11/22 15:49:02 (permalink)
    Yes RMS is the key the nice thing about HAR BAL is that they explain alot of steps even on their website I do agree with YEP on having someone else to master but lets be honest in this day of slamming it through the roof, home mastering done carefully following basic steps laid out by pros can actually be sometimes better and more cost effective. In the end its a process that you learn in time just the way you learned to track and mix in the first place. Its kinda funny that every article that i read about mastering keeps trying to keep you from doing it yourself. But with all the great tools that continue to become availible to the home studio enviroment home mastering will become more the norm just as home studios became in the last ten years. Its bad for their business great for ours how nice to be able to record the music you love at home with the family :)
    GPM
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Mastering 2006/11/22 16:43:15 (permalink)
    Thanks Yep, I hadn't seen that post before. I printed it for future reference.
    cemastering
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Mastering 2006/12/12 12:01:12 (permalink)
    Hi slugo3,

Ok - let's be clear about this! I absolutely 100% do not agree with using this software!!! _ HOWEVER, a good friend of mine recently phoned me to enthuse about this newly discovered product: http://www.curioza.com/

I've tried it, out of curiosity, and as a quick fix for something that just needs some cohesion I can see that for the "amateur-pro-sumer" it may have some benefits....

It will not compare in any way to a professionally mastered album, but as I know of this product, it'd be unfair not to mention it!

Use with care - you've been warned!

Another word of warning - careful with multi-band compression... it's one of the easiest ways to screw up a good sound!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1