Matrix Workflow - verrrrrrrrry confused

Author
wz061s
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 385
2005/06/16 22:12:26 (permalink)

Matrix Workflow - verrrrrrrrry confused

I just took my first stab at working with P5v2 for roughing out a loop based bedtrack, and I have some questions regarding workflow in case I'm missing something.

What I'm doing is setting a loop region in the arrange pane, and recording individual MIDI tracks one after the other, all while the first MIDI drum track loops, sans drum machine. So far so good.

Here's what I don't get: As I record subsequent parts in the arrange pane, the corresponding new clips are not being created until the first note is played. As a result, when I drag a MIDI clip that did not start right on beat one of the defined loop region from the arrange pane to the matrix, it is out of time with the reference drum track. In other words, the silence preceding the first note for that track does not get copied over from the arrange pane to the matrix!

I have not been able to figure out how to maintain relative timing of my MIDI clips in the Matrix. My workaround is to export a region of audio, then import the audio and place only audio clips into the matrix.

Guys, please tell me I am overlooking something obvious here! Maybe I am just spoiled from using Ableton Live, which records "silence" in MIDI and Audio clips and loops it automatically, but this Matrix workflow seems crazy! I keep waiting to hear a voice saying "there is no spoon"!
post edited by wz061s - 2005/06/16 22:14:58

2 Replies Related Threads

MysticMizer
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Matrix Workflow - verrrrrrrrry confused 2005/06/17 16:52:45 (permalink)
    I think the key may lie in what you are referencing when you record.

First right click on all the cells in matrix and choose "play along with song" on the dropdown.

Then when you record your clip try recording it against the Matrix groove as opposed to the midi loop you created in the linear arrange pane by making sure the all the green arrows point at the Matrix not at the arrange pane.

In other words drop the looped clips you've already completed back into Matrix and play against the matrix groove. Then when you're done drop your new midi track into a cell and chose "play along with song"

To keep things simple you should try and keep everything in the matrix until you're pretty sure you're done fitting your creation with loops and are ready to go live.....then record the whole thing to the arrange view at once when your done.

If this doesn't work. You may have to force the issue by opening up your editor, going into step mode and literally dragging the first note to where you need it to be, then re-rocrding to arrange pane, then dragging back into the matrix.

hope that helps

NEVERODDOREVEN
    wz061s
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 385
    RE: Matrix Workflow - verrrrrrrrry confused 2005/06/17 21:26:09 (permalink)
    MysticMyzer,

Thanks for the tip - I will try this when I get home. I need to read up on the "play along with song" option.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1