May Fortune Favor The Foolish

Author
Kyhotay
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2013/11/13 18:40:37 (permalink)

May Fortune Favor The Foolish

With the "B" Stock of the VS-700 package coming down to the level where us mere mortals can afford it, I am concerned about 1) how tightly integrated it is to Sonar X3 and 2) just how time consuming/complicated is it to install?  I have been using Sonar 8.5.? forever with an Alesis MasterControl which works very well, but I'd like more intuitive controls for the EQ, etc.  Is there a particular order to installing X3 and the drivers/software for the VS-700?  I am using Windows 7 64Bit.  Are there any "gotchas!" I should be aware of?

Thanks for any help and advice you can give me!

8 Replies Related Threads

dahjah
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 313
    Re: May Fortune Favor The Foolish 2013/11/13 23:17:59 (permalink)
    u should be aware that it is no longer supported. If I didn't have it I wouldn't get it at this time.
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: May Fortune Favor The Foolish 2013/11/14 01:59:55 (permalink)
    there are apparently no new units being sold anymore and support from Roland does not exist.

yet, they still released drivers for win 8 just recently; so it's not dead yet and those b-stock units drop to price levels where the deal is incredible

anyway, i'm still very pleased how my unit functions with X2 and X3. can't think of anything out there that could match it for Sonar at the moment IMHO

keneds just installed a b-stock recently that even came with the old firmware, so he'll have a fresh memory of the pitfalls (if there are any)

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    Kyhotay
    Re: May Fortune Favor The Foolish 2013/11/14 11:44:28 (permalink)
    I could never justify the price before, especially since I already owned 8.5 & another synthesizer was the last thing I needed.  That's why I opted for Alesis' MasterControl and it works remarkable well.  My biggest concern is I don't like to get too far behind on software upgrades and since Cakewalk is on X3c I figured it was about time.

Regarding the VS-700 no longer being supported I guess I don't have much choice.  I don't know if X3c will work well with the MasterControl that also is no longer being supported.  Neither is 8.5 I suppose.

There doesn't seem to be much of a middle market for controller/interfaces with dedicated EQ.  I'll probably take the plunge to the VS-700 soon but would still like to hear from other users about their experiences with it and going from 8.5 to the X series.
    keneds
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re: May Fortune Favor The Foolish 2013/11/14 20:48:32 (permalink)
    I had some driver / update concerns last week when I was setting it up and call Roland support and got awesome help from a fella named Andy. He told me they will be continuing technical support for this product. That was last week.
    The key to setup and updates are to follow each set of instructions for each update or firmware install. As for using the unit....I've been using an Alphatrack for about 4 years as a transport control and love not needing to reach or click for play and record. Now that I was able to purchase ( or afford ) the VS-700 I have a lot to learn to simplify the recording process even more, there's a lot of functions this thing can do. So far I'm still in the kicking the tires phase but loving the flow.
    As I type I'm currently installing X3 producer which was also included with the purchase which sweetened the deal. Plus a 2 year warranty was included. If I can help anymore just ask. The VS-700 forum guys are tons of help and I will surely need them again soon.

Side note ; it ships with sonar 8. My salesman told me to install that and it will prompt me for the upgrade to X3. I didn't feel that to be accurate so I contacted Cakewalk and my man Dean set me up with the upgrade. So if you're planning the upgrade to X3.... take that route.

SONAR Platinum  
    Dell XPS17 /  External 23" touch screen & 22" HP displays/Windows 10 64bit i5 processor/  
    8Gb ram/500GB (7200rpm SATA HD)/Roland VS-700 set/KRK rockit 6/KRK 10" sub and a bunch of cables
    EZdrummer2 / EZmix2

Westside Steve
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 794
    Re: May Fortune Favor The Foolish 2013/11/19 11:40:03 (permalink)
    I just set everything up in a brand new computer 8.1. I got help from Roland support and Cake support. not a problem. Roland was via email and Cake was over the phone.
    WSS
    Mully
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1545
    Re: May Fortune Favor The Foolish 2013/11/27 05:25:33 (permalink)
    In case you've shopped around, look here: http://www.mixonline.com/Mix_Desktop_Controllers_November_2013.pdf and you will find no mention of Sonar.

There really isn't much option when it comes to controllers for Sonar... seems nothing is supported anyway so may as well just grab the 700C and get busy. It does still work ok...knobs and bits work.

BTW, what happened to your Disco 3??? Ouch....

Cheers.

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
    Kyhotay
    Re: May Fortune Favor The Foolish 2013/12/21 17:29:38 (permalink)
    My house was broken into a couple of years ago and the Napoleon of Crime found my keys hanging by the door, took off with the Disco ACROSS THE STREET from my house to a bar where he was drinking.  He ended up in a fight and when they call the cops he takes off, passing a Sheriff's sub-station where a deputy saw him speeding and got back into her car in pursuit.  He ran into a jeep (no injuries) and then, at the bottom of a grade, whipped it up to 85 MPH and ran into an Acura (no injuries there, thank gawd!), flipped the Disco upside down and had to wait for the sherriff to extract him.
    The engine was in perfect condition and you could have eaten dinner off it.  Surprisingly little damage done but when the adjuster to $24,000 he stopped and said "totaled!"

LR3's are so popular and hard to get in Tucson, they car actually INCREASED in value and I upgraded to a Range Rover with the money I got from the claim.

re: The V-700: I found out that I missed the boat at Sweetwater to buy it.Oh well, my MasterControl works pretty well anyway.  It was such a deal though!

funboyuno
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re: May Fortune Favor The Foolish 2014/02/12 23:17:54 (permalink)
    I am a happy owner and if you can get one in your budget, you should be ok for a while. I had the Roland VM7200 system and Roland stopped support on it (I bought used). I got rid of it and bought (@NEW PRICE!) the VS700 system and no surprise, Roland stopped support on it. That being said, I have a friend who swears by the VM7200 system and he makes great recordings on it. Cost wise between the two I broke even. I have no issues with X3d Producer and actually love it running on WIN764bit (get lots of memory - 32 gig). If you are worried about the software - don't. Just quit upgrading it. I know that's a little like dieting but it's a conscious decision You have to make. Remember, if you like it and it works for you, it will still make good music in ten years if it don't burn up and you can live without worrying about keeping up with the Jones' of the audio world.
    Good luck! 

Win 10 64 bit, Intel i7 6 core, MOTU 16a interface.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1