May I get some advice w/MC4 and more?

Author
MetalMan
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 954
2009/03/19 21:00:18 (permalink)

May I get some advice w/MC4 and more?

This is gonna be a long message and there is much to explain, just thought I would warn any and all. And I apologize for the LONG message in advance, but there is no other way around explaining and asking for help so please be understanding.

Here Goes :
I use Windows Vista Home Premium, and Music Creator 4. My previous setup was basically using a M-Audiophile Delta 2496 sound card and using the SPDIF setting going out of my Boss Br1600 SPDIF outs to record 24 bit into the SPDIF inputs on the 24/96 soundcard, which I might add would only allow 24/44 instead of 24/96, the selection was not available. I had multiple problems after a while using it so I decided to change my setup all together.

Here's what I done : I purchased a Toneport KB37 recording and modeling interface. After doing so I removed the M-Audio 24/96 card and the Boss 1600 as my primary means of using as an interface to the computer. I removed the sound card because I didn't need it anymore with the USB KB37.

Ok, one problem seems to happen after another. I started having hard drive problems, which I should add were fixed shortly after they started. "I learned my lesson a while back and use software and a external hard drive to back up everything from my primary hard drive". So I checked my Hard drive, and found multiple clusters, and got everything working right with that. And ofcourse I checked my external BACKUP hard drive where the backups were and everything was ok with no problems.

I restored my computer to when I first got my computer just to see what I had and to check things out, then I installed my KB37 software and to my shock the selection available to me was to use 24/96 which I have never had". And I am assuming that it was because at that point in time I didn't have so many programs using memory via drivers and such, or a lot of add/remove programs from the past. And I should mention that for some strange reason Firefox my favorite browser and the latest version crashes after install with that install. I dunno why, and haven't heard why.

That just wasn't good enough, because I use this computer to communicate via internet and as a DAW also. Nothing else. So I restored it to a time before I had probs. with the hard drive and with the KB37 installed, it works ok, lots of latency, pops, clicks, memory hungry setup and not good, but it's good for using my browser because I have all my passwords and things saved in that setup. I would just export or use a program to move my browser firefox settings etc and back them up and restore them to the first setup I was talking about. But the problem is I can't get firefox to work on the best setup which is the first, that I want to use MC4 on..... I've removed everything removable that I can on the setup I am using now to save memory. It's still a memory hog though. Basically browser/MC4 is all that's left.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

I shoulda mentioned my computer to begin with, sorry... :-(

I have a Celeron D Processor 356 w/ 512 cache, 2 GB's of internal memory using 4 GB's of ready boost memory.

Any advice, ideas, or thoughts would be appreciated......

16 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: May I get some advice w/MC4 and more? 2009/03/19 21:23:42 (permalink)
    Sounds like something is still messed up in the box. Probably in the OS or software. I'm not a computer IT/geek.... but I have managed to get to where I'm at somehow. It sounds like you're basically setting at square one..... with a non-functional DAW. Could be driver issues....

So either keep working on it..or:

Back up everything you need to CD/DVD. Get to cake's account page and print your install keys and any other magic numbers you need... virus software...etc..... get all your diskes and ....reinstall it all.

reformat the existing drive or install a new hard drive, then install a clean version of the OS. Install your M-audio card.... it's the one you should be using. then install MC4....... you should be using the KB-37 as a midi input and not (I'm thinking) as your main soundcard. Install all other software such as browsers..... all this stuff should live together in harmony, and allow you to surf and play music.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: May I get some advice w/MC4 and more? 2009/03/20 02:23:15 (permalink)
    In my opinion 24/96 is a waste of good harddruve space, not necessary. 24/44,000 or even 41, will do. The headroom is the biggie, not so much the sample rate. Folks get too cought up in that stuff and forget that a good clean recording is the main thing.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Guitarhacker
    RE: May I get some advice w/MC4 and more? 2009/03/20 07:38:20 (permalink)
    Rob..... what are you trying to say????

BMI/NSAI

Robomusic
    RE: May I get some advice w/MC4 and more? 2009/03/20 10:52:26 (permalink)
    I am not talking about the sound card, but rather that is is not important to worry about setting up recording at 24 bit 96,000 Htz sample rate, just just a solid 24, 44,100 setup and get a good clean recording. After all the 24 bit headroom will give the best bang for the buck, and ultimately you are migrating down to 16 bit 44,100 anyway.

I played around with all that super spec stuff to start with, and all it did was waste my time.

Music Town
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    RE: May I get some advice w/MC4 and more? 2009/03/20 12:36:00 (permalink)
    Metal Man ....
    I'm seriously wondering about what you meant by Multiple Clusters?

Here are some Driver Questions ... I believe that Line 6 uses something called "Line 6 Monkey" which keeps your drivers and stuff up to date. Also, I believe that the Toneport KB37 was released originally without Vista driver support but now have drivers that should work. I'm wondering if there is a problem with the Version of FireFox you are using and being able to run Line 6 Monkey? ( Probably not, but this could explain a bunch of the weird stuff )

And I should mention that for some strange reason Firefox my favorite browser and the latest version crashes after install with that install. I dunno why, and haven't heard why.
    - Is it the latest version of Firefox crashes after installing it???

I can't get firefox to work on the best setup which is the first
    I guess you could at this (restore) point to try to reinstall firefox. - ( a version that works ? )

I'm guessing your problem is that when you did a restore, your browser (Firefox) does not go back to an earlier version but the registry entries did thus it won't work correctly. You may have to install an earlier version of Firefox to get it to work. Then try to migrate to the newer version.

Hope this helps some ??? Not sure If I'm on the right track or on the wrong track here. ....

- TAP -

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: May I get some advice w/MC4 and more? 2009/03/20 13:26:45 (permalink)
    I also read that the Boss samples at 44.1 kHz. No mention of output specs, but when using the S/PDIF, the sampling rates of all devices have to match, and since I thought the Boss was 44.1, it could only transmit 44.1, thus the 48 kHz or 96 khz were not options for the recording, despite the sound card's capabilities.
    Now, if you would have used the Boss's audio output instead of the S/PDIF, you could have used the higher sampling rates of the sound card.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    RE: May I get some advice w/MC4 and more? 2009/03/20 14:01:28 (permalink)
    Yeah I think Greg has figured out that part.

- TAP -

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: May I get some advice w/MC4 and more? 2009/03/20 14:29:44 (permalink)
    But the computer problems are beyond my pay grade. Windows, maybe?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    ascottdesign
    • Total Posts : 957
    RE: May I get some advice w/MC4 and more? 2009/03/20 16:55:10 (permalink)
    If all else fails, put another dime in the gas meter.
    Guitarhacker
    RE: May I get some advice w/MC4 and more? 2009/03/20 17:14:24 (permalink)
    I have all my settings to 16 bit 44.1K right from the git go...

BMI/NSAI

Robomusic
    RE: May I get some advice w/MC4 and more? 2009/03/20 18:40:42 (permalink)
    That is not a bad way to go Herb, especialy if you are getting a very clean signal to start with. There is an arguement for 24 bit during initial recording, since it does give far better headroom for the incomming signal. But still a non clipped 16 bit track does not need much to be done. One thing to always remember noise and signal issues are additive by nature, what starts out right can get out of bounds after a few tracks.

Music Town
    MetalMan
    RE: May I get some advice w/MC4 and more? 2009/03/20 23:09:24 (permalink)
    Thanks as always Guitar Hacker, I am horrible at explaining things. But I always appreciate your advice because your sound screams that "You know what you are doing".

Thanks again

MetalMan
    RE: May I get some advice w/MC4 and more? 2009/03/20 23:20:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Robomusic

I am not talking about the sound card, but rather that is is not important to worry about setting up recording at 24 bit 96,000 Htz sample rate, just just a solid 24, 44,100 setup and get a good clean recording. After all the 24 bit headroom will give the best bang for the buck, and ultimately you are migrating down to 16 bit 44,100 anyway.

I played around with all that super spec stuff to start with, and all it did was waste my time.

I can revert my computer to the start with my backups at multiple times. Here's the thing though, if I go back to start and install everything again then the selection for 24/96 is there to be used. That says to me that it's a more daw effective setup, but, for some reason firefox crashes on that setup and will install but upon trying to run it crashes. I can go with Safari for windows but I would rather use firefox myself. The problem is all my forgotten passwords are saved in firefox.

What I am trying to do is go back to the start, install MC4, and install firefox with my settings as of now - the rest I can do without or fix later.

Hmmm, I think I need to search the web for a Firefox password snitcher program, maybe I should do that if there is such a thing for the primary user?????

Thanks Robomusic and everyone who has responded, I am not good at explaining things and am very lucky you are all very good translators!

Thanks again to all who have replied! :-)

MetalMan
    RE: May I get some advice w/MC4 and more? 2009/03/20 23:23:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ascottdesign

If all else fails, put another dime in the gas meter.

Not funny at all. If you don't understand that, then you don't need to comment.......

MetalMan
    RE: May I get some advice w/MC4 and more? 2009/03/20 23:30:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 57Gregy

I also read that the Boss samples at 44.1 kHz. No mention of output specs, but when using the S/PDIF, the sampling rates of all devices have to match, and since I thought the Boss was 44.1, it could only transmit 44.1, thus the 48 kHz or 96 khz were not options for the recording, despite the sound card's capabilities.
    Now, if you would have used the Boss's audio output instead of the S/PDIF, you could have used the higher sampling rates of the sound card.

I had multiple probs. with the Boss as the interface and using M-Audio's SPDIF 24/96 soundcard. Sometimes fuzz, sometimes what would happen would be the computer changing the settings for the audio, or just stopping playing the audio altogether. Multiple weird problems.

With this new setup, I have had no problems except the ones I have described above. I know about protection for your PC and I have tried everything to make sure and always make sure my computer is protected be it Firewall/Virus/Spyware. And I should mention that I have unplugged the computer and turned everything off, but I still have the same problems........ Lots of questions and answers and problems......

I think I have come to the conclusion that I need to figure out how to get my passwords from firefox latest versions, install back to the start "Which firefox crashes on", install Safari and go from there because the settings for my Daw are prime so to speak with that primary initial setup. I have a new PRIMARY HD and shouldn't have no problems with it. And I've scanned and scanned the External backup over and over with drive checks and virus etc.... Checks....

Thanks 57Gregy! And I must say your tune Truckin' Down 41 is Cool! I am on 41 probably about 5 to 7 days a week so I can relate to that one! Sounds great!

post edited by MetalMan - 2009/03/20 23:44:55

MetalMan
    RE: May I get some advice w/MC4 and more? 2009/03/22 10:35:42 (permalink)
    Profiled...........

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1