Maynard vocals???

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
APC3
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1228
2006/04/12 00:26:58 (permalink)

Maynard vocals???

anyone know how Maynard James Keenan gets that distorted coulor to his vocals, he's definately well trained having phenominal vibrato and scalular(is this a word) knowledge.just curious if it's a preamp, mic, effect, or just one of those thing we'll just never know......................................if you didn't know he sings for Tool and A Perfect Circle...and if you didn't definately check them out...very origonal music

51 Replies Related Threads

johndale
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3228
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/12 00:45:04 (permalink)
    That is the guy from "Tool"?.........
    johndale
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/12 00:47:17 (permalink)
    That is the guy from "Tool"? Someone that engineered and produced him hangs on this forum sometimes. I'll Email him and see if I can get him to respond........

Sorry for the double, darn browser.....
    post edited by johndale - 2006/04/12 00:54:32
    APC3
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/12 00:51:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: johndale

That is the guy from "Tool"? Someone that engineered and produced him hangs on this forum sometimes. I'll Email him and see if I can get him to respond........

Sorry for the double, darn browser.....

are you $%#@ing kidding me?
    johndale
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/12 01:00:49 (permalink)
    Not at all, I just emailed him. That's why it is funny as all get out when some of these know it all's respond to a thread and they don't know who they are dealing with. You would be surprised who drops in. I been in the biz 35 years. I've played with people you have heard of. But name dropping ain't cool around here. But if you know names and can add 2+2, things make sense. There is a lot of talent here, known and unknown. Let's see if he answers, the guy I emailed may do some mastering for me, people always are looking for work.....
    APC3
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/12 01:09:16 (permalink)
    I think joining this forum is gonna be the best investment I've made in some time.......thanx johndale
    johndale
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/12 01:14:38 (permalink)
    Your welcome. I'm a hard head but something I've learned in my years in the "biz" is you must believe in yourself and when you know you are right without a doubt, stick by your guns. You will get an education here. Do you know of the other forums, that are decent? If not I can help you there..........................
    APC3
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/12 01:23:43 (permalink)
    I would be much obliged to learn of other forums, it's funny, though I feel like my equiptment is so minimal compared to so many peoples in here, and yet my recordings seem to always come out even better than what I heard in my head. They seem to master themselves with little effort, they sound good even on my laptop speakers..........keep the blues going, that was my passion for learning guitar..I'm currently working on a project with an old friend the 2 of us are playing all the instruments....soo much fun
    johndale
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/12 01:52:58 (permalink)
    Ok, here are some other good forums. People are nicer at some than others, but all have a wealth of knowledge..............

http://blindman.forumhoster.com/index.php?

http://the-auditorium.net/

http://www.recording.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=index

Those ought to get you started. Someone else will chime in and say, but you forgot. No I did not that's a start. Add your own URLs.. If your equipment works for you and you are happy with what you are achieving currently. Then you have the best rig money can buy for you. I own some expensive stuff and there is more expensive stuff I long for. But, I know why I want that stuff and the fact that it will pay for itself. Like these guys that want to record at 192, my response is "are you a dog?". Because your not going to hear the difference on your average system and your going to dither down to 44,1/16 for Redbook CD anyhow. But if your doing DVD you might want something that is stable and functions well at 88.1/24. No reason to spend money on something you will not use (or can't hear)......................
    ByronSanto
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 247
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/12 09:45:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: APC3

anyone know how Maynard James Keenan gets that distorted coulor to his vocals, he's definately well trained having phenominal vibrato and scalular(is this a word) knowledge.just curious if it's a preamp, mic, effect, or just one of those thing we'll just never know......................................if you didn't know he sings for Tool and A Perfect Circle...and if you didn't definately check them out...very origonal music

Alot of the distorted coulor that you hear in some vocalist is not any type of gear but vocal techniques.
    j hazen
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/12 11:12:04 (permalink)
    if you're talking about the distorted/lo-fi sound he uses in Eulogy, then if I'm not mistaken its a small bullhorn, one of those miniature looking ones, into the mic. he uses it live as well. if you mean something else, then nevermind!
    jjgjr75
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/12 12:52:41 (permalink)
    No help for the topic but Eulogy is a great song! I am sure he uses some effects though in his vocals, even if it's just some doubling of takes.
    grady
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/12 14:28:14 (permalink)
    Hey APC3...I posted basically the same exact thread in the TOOL forum. So weird. I'm pretty new to sonar and I'm the vox mixing stage on one of my songs. I am absolutely the biggest maynard/apc/tool freak on the planet. I'll be checking back...Damn. Weird. (I mean the same exact question.)

grady

"Reaching out to embrace whatever may come."
    polarbear
    • Total Posts : 1212
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/12 14:36:59 (permalink)
    just a quick note, in the a perfect circle video for "judith" they show a computer tracking on protools. bah humbug.

maynard rules! 10,000 days comes out may 2nd!

http://www.bydavidrosen.com
    http://www.imdb.me/davidrosen
    Winner of Best Song of 2007 at Acidplanet.com!

PC Audio Labs Rokbox OB1 - Gigabyte X99-UD4-CF - Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz - 32GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 7700 - Windows 7 Pro
    Sonar Platinum - Komplete 9 Ultimate - Spectrasonics Omnisphere - reFX Nexus2 - And the list goes on...
    RME BabyFace Pro - M-Audio Keystation 88es
    APC3
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/12 21:47:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ByronSanto

Alot of the distorted coulor that you hear in some vocalist is not any type of gear but vocal techniques.

His vcal abilities are definately amazing, his voice is truely amazing, but there is something over his voice on Thirteenthstep that's different , almost like a tube, probally a very expensive tube preamp, and thats why i can't get that sound....I'm not trying to imitate Maynard I've developed my own voice and style, but would love that over my voice.......
    Sonic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1517
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/13 16:03:56 (permalink)
    I've worked with Maynard in the past. I was actually the keyboard player in his first band... The TexANS. He lived a block away from me back in 1985-86 or so. Pretty cool guy, and it was fun to make music with him in his early years. He recorded the first song he wrote over at my place on my old 4-track... I still have the master tape. He then bought my old drum machine and 4-track and recorded his CAD tapes.
    Funny how life goes...

The best is always yet to come. Now...shut up and make some noise!
    A small sample of my music... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/turtlebend2.htm
    newfuturevintage
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1848
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/13 19:57:32 (permalink)
    His vcal abilities are definately amazing, his voice is truely amazing, but there is something over his voice on Thirteenthstep that's different , almost like a tube, probally a very expensive tube preamp, and thats why i can't get that sound....I'm not trying to imitate Maynard I've developed my own voice and style, but would love that over my voice.......

I had the happy accident of seeing Tool at a tiny club in SF when Opiate just came out. I'd really only gone to see my friends' band open for them. I think they played 6 or 7 songs, max. Was stunned. I couldn't really speak straight for a few days. The club had OK sound, but with just Maynard on a 58 into a live FOH mixer with the house reverb (probably a Yamaha spx90...par for the era), his vocals sounded huge. No effects are going to get that for you.

Highlights of the show were Maynard decapitating a mic clip, looking really surprised at himself, then gingerly placing the stand off the to side of the kit so as to avoid having to reimburse the club for destroying any more of their gear.
    And mid-show, he says to the lighting board op, "can you knock it off with the rock and roll light show? It's really bumming me out. just turn on the flourescent house lights". They finished the show with the house lights on, no stage lights...very weird, but very cool.

My inner child is an angry drunk.
    johndale
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/14 06:52:29 (permalink)
    bump
    grady
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/14 15:26:22 (permalink)
    That's really cool Sonic. BTW...anyone hear the 30 clip of the 1st single off the new TOOL that aired this am....Pretty cool...Huge tease. I am literally counting days.

But back to the reason we're talking about MJK...Anyone have any good ideas on where to maybe get some insight on vocal techniques/effects they use?

grady

APC3
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/14 15:48:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: grady

That's really cool Sonic. BTW...anyone hear the 30 clip of the 1st single off the new TOOL that aired this am....Pretty cool...Huge tease. I am literally counting days.

But back to the reason we're talking about MJK...Anyone have any good ideas on where to maybe get some insight on vocal techniques/effects they use?

grady

I know he uses a ton of vibrato, almost all the time, although it's not always so obvious. I've actually extracted some of his vocals to analyze. He definately uses an awsome compressor too, probally way out of my price range. I've seen some live videos and sometimes it's like he's talking the words, not really singing, like singing very quietly or something. Anyway it's really hard to explain unless your really into MJK..........

Man, I havent heard the clip yet...........the itch is starting to peel..........
    grady
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/14 16:21:59 (permalink)
    I get what you're saying. I am "that" into Maynard. You said you extracted the vox. How do you do that. Gates? I have a link to the clip. I could hook you up, just let me know.

APC3
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/14 22:47:56 (permalink)
    I'm not sure what software was used, it's some sort of kareoke deal our drummer had. I was at a bar last weekend and some chick brought up Tool and their new cd. She said that she really hopes that it doesn't sound like APC, which you and I both know that the two bands are completely seperate entities, and will never be the same. I guess she thought that APC sucked. I know that shouldn't have bothered me, but damn both APC and Tool offer us something that no other band even comes close to. Oh yeah she hated eMOTIVE and called MJK a TOOL, saying he was using Tool for political reasons. Obviosly she's not as big a Tool fan as she claimed, or just never heard their first album Opiate, for example, Hush is all about our censorship. Anyways I guess I everyone has different taste in music and I respect that, but if any band sells out, I guarantee MJK won't be in it.

that link would be sweet, still haven't heard it
    sammyp
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 752
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/14 23:33:21 (permalink)
    I've not listened to too much Tool or Perfect Circle but whenever i have, i've found him very low in the mix. I really can't hear him the way i want. I find berried vocals prevents me from being able to get into an album. Anyone else?

Resonant Order
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 647
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/15 01:32:36 (permalink)
    I've seen Tool a few times, beginning with Opiate. I'm one of those annoying people who hangs out at the sound desk, tries to peek back stage, and usually ends up asking too many questions about what gear is being used. The guys in Tool, and the people they work with, are some of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. When I saw a rack filled with these: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ELI8M/ I asked about them, and was told that they were for Danny's Drums, except one, which was for Maynard.

I can't wait for the new album.
    Resonant Order
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 647
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/15 01:37:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: sammyp

I've not listened to too much Tool or Perfect Circle but whenever i have, i've found him very low in the mix. I really can't hear him the way i want. I find berried vocals prevents me from being able to get into an album. Anyone else?

The philosophy behind the mix is that the voice is just another instrument, and should be treated accordingly. Sometimes it's in the front, or the bass, or the drums, or the guitar, or the synth...

Since I usually listen to music that has none or very little vocals, I despise the average pop/rock mix. I'd much rather be able to hear everything all at once than an obnoxious voice or a squished mix.
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/15 01:42:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Resonant Order
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ELI8M/ I asked about them, and was told that they were for Danny's Drums, except one, which was for Maynard.

haha

That's probably appriopriate, alot of industrial vocalists use the distressor, I'd add mostly female industrial vocalists that I'm aware of... which almost seems apt on this topic, all things considered.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    APC3
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/15 09:58:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: sammyp

His vocal are a seperate instrument in the band, as Resonant Order has stated. That's what makes MJK so unique, just listen to the way he uses phrasing, it's completely original and he bends and twists nots as if he were playing a guitar with his diaphragm...........not saying that you have to like their music, but where's the originality in music if we keep using "Templates" of past music, like always keeping the vocals in the forefront. That's like saying a songs no good without a guitar solo. Let all the instruments, whatever they may be, have their time to convey.
    post edited by APC3 - 2006/04/15 10:16:17
    APC3
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/15 10:08:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Resonant Order

I've seen Tool a few times, beginning with Opiate. I'm one of those annoying people who hangs out at the sound desk, tries to peek back stage, and usually ends up asking too many questions about what gear is being used. The guys in Tool, and the people they work with, are some of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. When I saw a rack filled with these: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ELI8M/ I asked about them, and was told that they were for Danny's Drums, except one, which was for Maynard.

I can't wait for the new album.

I've seen them a few times, unfortunately never got to meet any of them. Thanks for the info, I knew it was some type of tube compressor, but there are so many out there nowadays.........now I just have to go to e-bay or a pawn shop and start looking..........Thanks again
    puffer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 836
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/15 10:20:27 (permalink)
    I'm not hugely familiar with Tool's music (nothing against 'em, just not my era or genre) but looking at that very impressive Distressor, I bet you could get a similar effect using VintageWarmer, switched to mono and cranked way the f up.

digitallofi.bandcamp.com
    Chuck_P
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 100
    RE: Maynard vocals??? 2006/04/15 11:14:15 (permalink)
    Tool rules.

That said, the sooner you abandon chasing high-end gear to ape someone's signature sound the better. I could run out and buy a 5-gain-stage Peavey 5150, and could even buy a limited-edition EVH guitar that Eddie himself painted the stripes on (http://www.evh-guitars.com/) and when I got it all rigged up, I would be out $x0,000 and I would sound like...me. And if Eddie came over and ran my ES-335 into my Dual Rectifier, he would sound like vintage EVH from note 1. Robert Plant allegedly tracks with an SM57 into a standard Lexicon 'verb in the studio. It ain't the gear, it's the dude. You want crunchy, cutting vocals that sit in a mix even at low levels? Start goofing around running vocal tracks into whatever guitar amps or guitar amp simulators you already have and squash 'em. You vocals that sound just like some dude's? You're gonna have to convince him to lay down some parts for you!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1