Meant To Be: remixed based on forum advice - please feedback

Author
pdevillo
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 151
2011/09/05 23:26:10 (permalink)

Meant To Be: remixed based on forum advice - please feedback

Hi All,
Older versions of this song have been posted here before, but I hope this is the last go-round. Thanks to all of your thoughtful advice I think I have the balance and EQ set on the new vocal harmonies and guitar parts... but you get the final say on that. Please listen and feedback - all constructive criticisms are very welcome!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=893653&songID=10687431

Thanks,
 - Paul

6 Replies Related Threads

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Meant To Be: remixed based on forum advice - please feedback 2011/09/06 12:45:26 (permalink)
    This is good good good.  Love those harmonies.  Mix sounds very good over here.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    malcolmb
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re:Meant To Be: remixed based on forum advice - please feedback 2011/09/06 15:08:16 (permalink)
    Hi Paul - those harmonies are stunning and the whole piece holds together perfectly with a real driving rhythm that holds the listener right through to the end. As you can probably tell from my music, your genre is not really my preference, but I loved your piece. Best Regards Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory
    GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
    Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
    www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
    www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Meant To Be: remixed based on forum advice - please feedback 2011/09/06 15:24:40 (permalink)
    Since you already know how much I think of the song itself, just crits on the mix...

A little left-heavy on the verses, Paul. There needs to be something to balance it out, maybe a subtle pad/organ.

The guitar lead is too thin and noisy. That needs some attention.

As for the vocals: the performance sounds good, but there is some honking going on (in my cans, btw). I would take a look at a 2db cut at 6oohz with a moderate cue. Or use a multiband and just perform the surgery there.
    BretB
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 508
    Re:Meant To Be: remixed based on forum advice - please feedback 2011/09/06 21:38:31 (permalink)
    Nice vocals.  A hint of autotune in a couple spots.  Seems a tad thin or needs more low end.  Mix crit is when just the rythm guitar is playing, it should be more centered.  It sounds hard panned left.  Overall nice work.

Sonar Platinum - A&H ZED R16 - KRK VXT4's - Yamaha DTXpress IV & Gretsch Catalina Maple kits

"Music is what feelings sound like"
    https://soundcloud.com/bret575b
    pdevillo
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 151
    Re:Meant To Be: remixed based on forum advice - please feedback 2011/09/07 23:41:55 (permalink)
    No How - Thank you for the kind words - it means a lot as I've been a fan of your work for years now!

Malcolm - your reaction is very encouraging - you are the real deal when it comes to music, far beyond my self-taught abilities!

James - as always I appreciate your taking the time to dig in and help me build a better mix. I'll try a 600khz cut on all the vocal tracks and I guess I'll bite the bullet and re-record the vs3 solo - the one currently heard is a remnant of the original 2004 demo and I've always wondered why I can't quite get it to sit right in the mix - proper volume makes it hurt my ears - so a new version is finally on order with a much sweeter tone - I have far superior guitars at my disposal these days I'm happy to say.

Bret - I appreciate your ears - I'm not exactly a whiz with AT and trust me -it was a necessary evil on the upper-register harmony parts - there were no perfect takes to choose from after blowing out my vocal chords on tracking day!

Will post here after new version is up - in the meantime, any further crits are appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Paul
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Meant To Be: remixed based on forum advice - please feedback 2011/09/08 18:22:51 (permalink)
    good song. still sounds a bit demoish to me. i think drums are a little ploddy, could do with some more va-va-voom to the programming, and a bit more work on the actual production of them...it's all a little one-paced. vocals are cool, the AT isn't too noticeable. guitars are played nicely, but again be nice to hear some variation from one verse to next. so i think you have the basis of a cool song, but think dynamics in the next mix...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1