Media Browser Preview for One Shot Samples

Author
SonicDimension
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2010/12/09 17:27:59 (permalink)

Media Browser Preview for One Shot Samples

I like the new media browser features in Sonar X1, but it looks like the preview function still only works with loops.  A major advantage of having a good browser in a DAW is that you can sort through gigabytes of one-shot samples, such as drum hits, and auto-preview them simply by clicking.  The Sonar browser's preview function loops everything, though.  If you click a kick drum sample, it gets played over and over again, which is kind of useless.

Is this flaw going to be addressed in a future update?

8 Replies Related Threads

ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Media Browser Preview for One Shot Samples 2010/12/09 17:39:15 (permalink)
    SonicDimension

I like the new media browser features in Sonar X1, but it looks like the preview function still only works with loops.  A major advantage of having a good browser in a DAW is that you can sort through gigabytes of one-shot samples, such as drum hits, and auto-preview them simply by clicking.  The Sonar browser's preview function loops everything, though.  If you click a kick drum sample, it gets played over and over again, which is kind of useless.

Is this flaw going to be addressed in a future update?
    I've asked for this often, as have others.  In the meanwhile I hold ALT while clicking so the file attempts to play in tempo at least.

But yes, it'd be nice to have one-shots be one-shots unless some modifier (ie, alt, shift, etc) is invoked.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    Re:Media Browser Preview for One Shot Samples 2010/12/09 17:41:08 (permalink)
    One-shots (i.e. non-looped preview) is coming.

And you don't need to use ALT anymore for tempo/no-tempo preview as there is an option for this in the Browser menu.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Media Browser Preview for One Shot Samples 2010/12/09 17:42:27 (permalink)
    Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
    ]

And you don't need to use ALT anymore for tempo/no-tempo preview as there is an option for this in the Browser menu.
    Good news.  And not having to hold ALT is a big plus.  I'd rather use modifiers for other things - and I hope the CW devs understand why ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    SonicDimension
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:Media Browser Preview for One Shot Samples 2010/12/09 17:47:19 (permalink)
    Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
    ]

Cool.  Thanks for letting us know.

hillsc
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 65
    Re:Media Browser Preview for One Shot Samples 2010/12/11 10:07:16 (permalink)
    I can't get anything in the browser to preview. The "play" button is permanently pressed, so I've checked that several times. I can browse without any problems. If I drag anything to the timeline, I can hear it fine. But I just can't preview it!

Any clues?
    rloseven
    • Total Posts : 74
    Re:Media Browser Preview for One Shot Samples 2010/12/11 10:59:52 (permalink)
    hillsc     If it is like mine,  you have to click on the Media button at the top and go down to Audio Preview Bus to select a default output.  I chose Master and it worked fine.   I did notice that it didn't save that setting for the next time I opened Sonar.  Anyone know what I have to do to keep from having to do this each time ?

Ron

hillsc
    • Total Posts : 65
    Re:Media Browser Preview for One Shot Samples 2010/12/11 11:20:04 (permalink)
    Ah. That was it. But I'm also seeing what you're seeing: it doesn't seem to be a global setting. Not sure why this would be project-specific, but it appears to be.
    cyberzip
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 613
    Re:Media Browser Preview for One Shot Samples 2011/02/15 05:58:34 (permalink)
    Good news! This is coming in the Sonar X1b update! :)

(Incomplete) list of updated features in SONAR X1b:

One-Shot Preview Mode Added to Browser.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1