Melodyne... which version for a SONAR user?

Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2008/11/26 18:44:54 (permalink)

Melodyne... which version for a SONAR user?

I've been fooling with V-Vocal and now I'm thinking I'd like to try Melodyne.

So if you primarily work with SONAR what Melodyne version is best to purchase? Is the "plugin" a no-brainer or is one of the freestanding versions something to consider?

this kinda scares me:

"sample editors like Steinberg Wavelab or Bias Peak cannot be used. Unlike sequencer programs, these editors do not send beat related information that is necessary for Melodyne plugin to work. "Offline editing" is not what the plug-in is made for. So the incompatibility of sample editors is not a bug, it's just a different handling of audio data."

Because I'm working on free run content... the tempo map isn't synced to the content at all. Does it matter if you just want to tune correct?

best regards,
mike
post edited by mike_mccue - 2008/11/26 18:58:33

7 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Melodyne... which version for a SONAR user? 2008/11/26 19:37:08 (permalink)
    The plugin version will be far and away the easiest to use.

I use the Cre8 edition, which is really a hassle to use - but it lets me do things that no track plugin could ever do. With it, I can edit multiple tracks simultaneously. If you do lots of tight harmonies, Cre8 or Studio will put you in a whole new level of multipart vox editing bliss. But if that's not your thing, then it's probably not worth the trouble.

Also, Melodyne does have a tendency to get out of sync with the host. Even if the song is at a constant tempo. It's not a simple thing to synchronize two separate applications. I work around this problem by always editing short sections like a single verse. And I avoid some actions that are known to hose the sync, such as moving the Now pointer in SONAR during playback.

post edited by bitflipper - 2008/11/26 19:42:03

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Melodyne... which version for a SONAR user? 2008/11/26 20:10:44 (permalink)
    Thanks Bitflipper,

I just read as much about the plugin as I could find. It seems to be much more involved than I would have thought. I think I'd try to bounce to clips as quickly as possible.

DW_Mike
    Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6907
    RE: Melodyne... which version for a SONAR user? 2008/11/27 00:22:13 (permalink)
    Since I bought Melodyne I've never looked back to V-Vocal.
    Plug-In version here.

Mike

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
    GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
    Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
    Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
    Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Melodyne... which version for a SONAR user? 2008/11/27 00:46:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

I just read as much about the plugin as I could find. It seems to be much more involved than I would have thought. I think I'd try to bounce to clips as quickly as possible.

I use the plugin version on practically every song. It's actually not too involved if you're working with only a few vocal clips, but I can definitely see the value of the standalone versions if you're working with a large ensemble. And, yes, you definitely want to bounce your processed clips as soon as you're done. My typical workflow goes something like this:

- record vox
    - edit/comp takes to get the final takes for verses, chorus(es), bridge(s), etc.
    - apply Melodyne plugin to correct pitch and any minor timing issues (is also good for reducing plosives, overemphasized words, etc.) to each part (i.e., verse, chorus, etc.)
    - bounce clip to a new track and place it in a new folder called "Corrected Vox"
    - archive the old track
    - repeat until each part is done

A typical song takes me about an hour or so to process all of the vocals through Melodyne. I also use it as an effect sometimes, etc. It works wonders for pitch-correcting my very un-Jaco-like fretless bass playing . And, it's a great tool for experimenting with vocal harmonies. I usually figure out the vocal harmonies for my songs by copying a track of the part I want harmonized (e.g., a chorus), run it into Melodyne, mute the words I don't want harmonized and move the ones I do up/down, then bounce to a new track. Repeat for other harmonies. Once I have the harmonies figured out, I have the singer just sing the same thing in her real voice. You can probably get by with just the pitch-shifted harmonies, but they usually have some phasing, aritfacts (e.g., "Cher effect"), etc., so I prefer to have them re-recorded. However, if you click on my sig and listen to track #4 (Again & Again), you'll hear some harmonies during the chorus that are just pitch-shifted versions of the original (nudged slightly behind the original to minimze phasing). In that case, Sara (the singer) and I decided that we actually liked the robotic/phasey sounding harmonies better than her real voice, so we stuck with it.
    post edited by cryophonik - 2008/11/27 00:49:45

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Melodyne... which version for a SONAR user? 2008/11/27 08:57:38 (permalink)
    Thanks,
    I guess it's a no brainier then. I'm getting it ASAP.

Thanks for sharing the step by step procedure... it is really appreciated.

best regards,
    mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2008/11/27 08:59:46

The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Melodyne... which version for a SONAR user? 2008/11/28 17:23:59 (permalink)
    YEAHHHH!

I drove into town today for a gig and was thrilled to find the plugin version in stock at Guitar Center. I got to see a few old friends and get a 15% holiday discount.

Thanks for all the help!

best regards,
    mike

bollich
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Melodyne... which version for a SONAR user? 2008/12/13 05:54:51 (permalink)
    I work with the Cre8 Version, because I started years ago with Melodyne Uno. I'm no friend of "Software in Software" using. I prefer creating and editing separate Audioclips and import them into a Sonar song.

Greetings, Dirk.
    ------------------
    visit www.bollich.info (german language) or listen to www.bollich-music.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1