Memory. Better to buy in matched pairs or not?

Author
rockoman
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 307
2010/08/11 18:29:54 (permalink)

Memory. Better to buy in matched pairs or not?

Take for instance 12GB. I've read that's it's better to buy as the same batch (6x2GB) vs. buying 2 (3x2GB) batches. Is this true? And does it really make that much a diff? I can save about $50 if I buy two separate batches but I'd like to get some opinions on this issue first.

Thanks.
Rock!

It's not what we're doing, it's how you do it :)

8 Replies Related Threads

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Memory. Better to buy in matched pairs or not? 2010/08/11 18:56:38 (permalink)
    If it's good memory it won't matter.
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Memory. Better to buy in matched pairs or not? 2010/08/11 18:58:39 (permalink)
    rockoman

Take for instance 12GB. I've read that's it's better to buy as the same batch (6x2GB) vs. buying 2 (3x2GB) batches. Is this true? And does it really make that much a diff? I can save about $50 if I buy two separate batches but I'd like to get some opinions on this issue first.

Thanks.
    Rock!

I take it your MB has 6 memory slots?  If so, doing two batches might solve another mystery we've been discussing in a separate thread and save you some money in the bargain ... that would be whether you need 12MB in the first place.  If you've got 6 slots, you could start with 3x2MB.  If that maxes out and things slow down, add the other 3x2MB at that time.  It could turn out that you won't need it in the first place. 

That said, I'd go with quality memory and buy the same thing for the expansion if you end up adding more.  There are a number of older threads here in which you can track down recommendations of what experienced folks consider to be good quality.
    rockoman
    Re:Memory. Better to buy in matched pairs or not? 2010/08/11 19:12:36 (permalink)
    dmbaer

rockoman

Thanks.
    Rock!

I take it your MB has 6 memory slots?  If so, doing two batches might solve another mystery we've been discussing in a separate thread and save you some money in the bargain ... that would be whether you need 12MB in the first place.  If you've got 6 slots, you could start with 3x2MB.  If that maxes out and things slow down, add the other 3x2MB at that time.  It could turn out that you won't need it in the first place. 

That said, I'd go with quality memory and buy the same thing for the expansion if you end up adding more.  There are a number of older threads here in which you can track down recommendations of what experienced folks consider to be good quality.

Thanks for the reply. It's very good quality memory (G.Skill) and I will def need the 12GB which I found out from my other thread . I'm going to be loading up on VSTis.

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:Memory. Better to buy in matched pairs or not? 2010/08/11 20:17:34 (permalink)
    I've read that's it's better to buy as the same batch (6x2GB) vs. buying 2 (3x2GB) batches

If it is the same make&model memory module it should not matter how they are sold. The 3 packaged together are typically for DDR3 applications where the memory will be addressed in triple channel (triads) instead of dual channel (pairs) configuration. Make sure you are clear on what type of memory you need and how your motherboard will be addressing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple-channel_architecture
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:Memory. Better to buy in matched pairs or not? 2010/08/12 09:27:47 (permalink)
    2 separate sets of identical ram will work fine (assuming that the brand and spec will work to begin with)
    X58 platform has a lot of compatibility issues particularly when doing 6 sticks

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    rockoman
    Re:Memory. Better to buy in matched pairs or not? 2010/08/12 10:21:29 (permalink)
    jcschild

2 separate sets of identical ram will work fine (assuming that the brand and spec will work to begin with)
    X58 platform has a lot of compatibility issues particularly when doing 6 sticks

It will be for a X58 platform. I wasn't aware of the compatibility issues. Thanks for the heads up.

leapinlizard
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:Memory. Better to buy in matched pairs or not? 2010/08/13 13:01:15 (permalink)
    I have found that it makes a huge difference, particularly as you get into higher speed memory.  I purchased 2GB (2x1GB) of Corsair Dominator PC8500 (1066 MHz) a while back.  Recently, I purchased two more GB of the exact same memory, but a different batch with a different version number.  The 4 sticks run fine at 1066MHz in an ASUS motherboard, but will not run above 800MHz in a Gigabyte motherboard.  In consulting the Corsair site, it turns out that there are a number of factors that will influence whether memory will coexist, not the least of which is the motherboard's memory controller.  To take it one step further, I also bought 4MB  (2x2GB sticks) of the same memory, same speed, same everything, but I cannot mix the 2GB sticks with the 1GB sticks in either motherboard and run them at 1066MHz.  Supposedly if you match the size of the memory and the version number it will run at the rated speed, but Corsair will not guarantee this.  So, to make a long story short, there are no guarantees when mixing memory batches, and unless the memory comes in the same package, you could have problems.  The best thing to do is research the memory you plan to buy and see what sorts of problems others have had.

"Surf music will never die." -- LeapinLizard, 1963
    "We may never hear surf music again." -- Jimi Hendrix, 1967. 
    jasonthurley
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 264
    Re:Memory. Better to buy in matched pairs or not? 2010/08/13 13:13:55 (permalink)
    These days this is not much of an issue..... going either direction will give about the same results..... and just because a machine made one thing right after another doesn't mean the machine is that close to each previous pass... I worked at an automated chip stacking factory about 15 years ago and everything was done with robots... there was no guarantee that sequential chips were closer to being identical than a chip done by a separate robot.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1