Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time!

Author
mgh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8594
2011/05/16 11:10:05 (permalink)

Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time!

hey there.
a new tune, this one is again in the folky/post BM style of the last one, but is a bit more mellow, mostly, and all clean singing. It is also the first overtly Christian song I have done (if one discounts The Dream of Gerontius epic i did last year...) - i wrote the lyrics this morning whilst listening to the already recorded tune!

I have tried to get the drums more in the mix, the guitars more upfront, and listening back i should really redo the second verse, but i can't be bothered! Let me know what you think...

Merciful

The weeping man sits by the fire
Staring into the sky
The stars above glitter
As they silently go by.
The man he cries
A wordless chant of woe
He voices endless despair
I am powerless to know.
what could be his grief?
And what should i say?
The man now staring
Staring into my soul

Forgive me
All of my sins
I am not wicked
But I am weak
He cannot truly know
But he knows
opened bare to him
Stripped and nowhere to hide

He has seen it all
Seen it all before
A cycle of selfishness.
We want, therefore we take
what truly is not ours.
Consequence be damned
I believe it should be mine...
Oh yes, he knows the human mind.
And so, another soul
Tries to be lost,
Lost for eternity.
You have made your own choice,
I gave you the power to choose

Forgive me
All of my sins
I am not wicked
But I am weak
He cannot truly know
But he knows
opened bare to him

"You have been judged by the Great One,
and you have been found most wanting."

"Truly it is easier for a poor and humble man
To enter the Kingdom of Heaven, than for a rich and proud man."

Forgive me
All of my sins
I am not wicked
But I am weak
He cannot truly know
But he knows
opened bare to him

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd

24 Replies Related Threads

morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/16 11:33:52 (permalink)
    Hi Mark, not being familiar with black metal I find the  dissonance in the first part of this piece quite bewildering. I like this piece better after the acoustic part and the ending is downright epic. 

Greetings, Rik
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/16 11:48:01 (permalink)
    Sweet dissonance.  At first I thought you were on drugs and then it clicked for me.  Nice!!!  Well done, Mark.  Some interesting lyrics.  you know, I think of dissonant things like that but the autotune in my head doesn't allow it.  I'm glad yours was turned off.  I think this is a song you can either lover or hate.  I love it!  A bit long for my taste.  Rik's post is what made me go through farther.  I'm glad I did.  Nice twist when the acoustic comes in.  The player kept freezing up on me if I tried to move the line a little so I didn't hear the ending.  I'll go back.  good work, Mark.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/16 11:50:13 (permalink)
    "Post BM song, my first overtly Christian in lyrics..." You know those Christians are all sinners? It was nice to be able to listen to the words. I like this better than the BM, looking forward to hear where you go next.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/16 13:59:43 (permalink)
    Sometimes it's easy to forget that guys like you, Rick, JamesYoyo, Robby etc are doing ALL the parts on your tunes..this sounds like a band, and a good one. Awesome.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/16 20:05:38 (permalink)
     I'm closer to becoming a fan on this one. That voice is a diamond in the rough IMO. Parts of this I really liked and some parts I thought a bit more vocal development would go along way. Some parts are developed nicely though. To be honest  I think some EQing and production work on the vocals are needed to get it to sit in the track a bit more. About half way through the song for some reason, the left side sounds really distorted. I really enjoyed the guitar solo, wish I didn't have to wait so long for it. I really like the drum kit but not all of the double kick parts. I certainly appreciated the dynamics over speed content in this. Still something doesn't sit right with me in the double kicks though and I'm thinking it may be note duration.

Me

CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/16 21:11:54 (permalink)
    Cool tune Mark - very creative and really well played.

You're really good.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/16 22:42:57 (permalink)
    Dark, heavy, wow, this is great!

String Jammer
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/17 02:19:51 (permalink)
    The guitars astonish me as do the lyrics.

But the matured-subconsciously derived vocals need pitch work in the 1st couple of verses (as they rant sketchy for such an epic piece.)

I mean, the guitars blend and harmonize perfectly with the other orchrestrations.

This is lulling and inviting, much much more than the last piece I heard.

Something at 5:45 captures my soul in an ascension.
    8:50 does it again ... it is wonderful.

The devoutness, maturity, directness, multi-harmony, majesty, hope-groans, etc. (there are oceans of it here) ... make this my fav of yours to date.

Also, this is sweetly and sensitively mixed.  I really love this and am consumed and blessed by it.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Sean*O
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 190
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/17 03:06:29 (permalink)
    Interesting stuff.. kind of a early Arcturus vibe in some parts, maybe?

Good stuff.
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/17 04:41:16 (permalink)
    Hey, Mark,

Very cool and unique piece of dark metal music!

I like the sound of the bass during the intro, the vocals are great, and the guitars thicken everything up really nicely.  The drums are perfect for the genre, and I really love the acoustic changeup before the up-tempo change around the six minute mark.  The harmony guitar fills sound cool before and after the chant at 7:30, and the final solos are perfect.

Very nice work, buddy!
    Bob
    radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/17 11:41:13 (permalink)

Mark this tune of yours caught me by surprise , very cool music . As Scotty said its a very cool dark metal song !
    I love the changes and the drums sound great too , great mix and vocals .
    Sort makes me want to slip on those dark metal boots and crash in your land of music .

Nice job creating your song !
    Radio
    post edited by radio - 2011/05/17 11:42:55

mgh
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/17 18:49:27 (permalink)
    Rik - cheers for checking this out! believe me, this is in no way as dissonant as many modern BM bands - check out these dudes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkGuapcwxOA for example

Warren - cheers for sticking with it. i know the autotune is turned off all the time, but i occasionally hit a right note! yeah, it's 10 mins but i think it doesn't drag particularly...hopefully...

Robby - where i go next...who knows? i seriously have a modern Christian pop song ready to record, but also a few death metal riffs urging to come out to play...like you and others i am a chameleon!

James - good point - no midi loops and such like used anywhere in here...not that that matters...i am honoured it is described as sounding like a band...i think this one gels quite well too! thanks!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/17 20:42:15 (permalink)
    Mark...once again you hit your mark I'd say...love the intro thrust...the guitars are mad!!...right around the 5:00 mark this thing gets down right brilliant!

Hats off laddy!...you killed this one!!

Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/17 20:43:49 (permalink)
    Enjoyed it Mark - lots going on there - liked that acoustic sections. Sounds like a Maiden and Floyd influence.

-Doug

Taylor_514CMy Music:

mgh
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/18 04:39:49 (permalink)
    Grant - thanks mate. I kinda wanted the vocal to be outfront, although i know my voice isn't great, in this one the lyrics needed to be heard. i'll get back to burying 'em next time! i heard the little bit of distortion too, it's in the fast part for about 20 secs. not sure what happened, must be an encoding error as the rest is fine. now c'mon, there's almost no double kick in this one! lol.

Mark - short and sweet. thanks!

Scott - yep, dark even in the cleaner sections. ah well, if i wrote a song about bunny rabbits, you'd be worried!

Philip - as ever, thanks for the considered and kind words. yes, the vox are a little scratchy, especially in the 2nd verse and chorus, i found it quite hard to sing over the music as even I don't know what chord the 3rd one is! and i played the thing! it's like the heavy guitars are playing a a G#dim/C# thing, the bass is playing a C# dim and the clean is playing C#min...so yeah, made it hard to sing over! i do feel like each song everything is coming together a bit more, i'm now just doing what i want, not 'oh, it's a BM song so it must have x vocals or y guitar'.

morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/18 11:43:16 (permalink)
    Hi Mark, just listened to that link you provided and you're absolutely right about dissonance in Black Metal, wasn't expecting that. Maybe I should try to play some Black Metal on my classical guitar  .

Greetings, Rik
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/18 13:25:38 (permalink)
    Mark,

Whoa...big song.  Those chord changes are bizarre and engaging.  I do like your vocals this way as i can hear the lyric. ...and a good lyric.  It is an interesting constrast with the death metal band underneath the duo harmonies...but it sounds Good! 
    Great guitar playing.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/18 14:11:58 (permalink)
    Mark, it was good to hear you singing.  Like others I didn't expect the dissonance, but that is probably due to my lack of familiarity with the genre.  As with all of your material that I've heard the composition and execution are excellent with some genuinely interesting chord structures and changes.  The mix seemed to be spot on to me.

I had a quick look at the lyrics before listening, and thought that they were really good.  The only thing I found troubling (and this could just be a matter of taste or lack of familiarity with the genre) was that I felt like some of the long pauses between words, especially in the first verse, broke the flow of your message and detracted from the power of some fine lyrics. 

I just noticed your comment to Philip that you were now 'doing what you want,' and I think that's great.  You have a great deal of talent, and I look forward to being an observer on the journey.
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/18 15:43:47 (permalink)
    I don't listen to much black metal, but it's similar enough to a lot of music that I do listen to that I can appreciate it when it's done well, which this is IMO.  I really like the bass in the intro, and the acoustic breakdown with the harmonies is a very nice contrast.  The instruments gel very nicely and the drums are kicking, dude!  The vocals sound great - it seems like they get buried into obscurity too often in songs like this, so it's refreshing to actually hear them!  Nice work on what was surely a large effort, given the complexity and length of this track!

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/18 18:26:27 (permalink)
    Nice job Mark.

Very dark/moody but I like it.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/18 20:50:15 (permalink)
    That was interesting....

I had a bit of a struggle with the first part.... all the dissonance threw me off but it grew on me as I realized what it was about. BM ..... not country.

I really enjoyed the acoustic part, and the ending was very cool.

Would I consider the lyrics to be "overtly Christian"?  No, not really.  It does fit into the genre of the hard "Christian" rock where God is mentioned and referred to..... but the mention of Christ, salvation, etc... is generally not there or mentioned only in passing. They do tell an interesting story

Good job.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/18 21:28:30 (permalink)
    gnarly. dark & twisted... guitars sound huge... I like the lyrics too...
    well done Mark...
    Serious Noize!
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/19 01:47:46 (permalink)

Not much I can add, "I didn't have a chance to try".

Besides I think you've got it under control and right either way!!!!

WOW MAN!!!!!!!  Do you play live anywhere? Are you in a band?

Sorry I can't remember, my memory just isn't what it used to be.

This is FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!!

BTW: Your vox sounds better on this tune than I've heard you sound in a while, mostly because it sounds like you removed that deep bass sound you had going on the EQ.  I think the higher EQ fits you better, JMO. "LOL, I hope that makes sense?". That is meant as a compliment, not a downgrade of any type whatsoever!!!!!

This is another EPIC TUNE!!! 

Just plain freaking AWESOME!!!!!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!!

serious noize! <---------- In small letters. And I mean that as a compliment, I hope ya get it.

mgh
    Re:Merciful - New Metal song, all clean vocals this time! 2011/05/19 03:42:20 (permalink)
    Sean - Arcturus, huh? yeah, they have a good mix of mellow and heavy. I'd say more Primordial and ...in the woods for this tune though ;-) Thanks for listening.

Bob - thanks for listening. i used the IKM Ampeg Uno plugin on the bass, and for me it sounds much better than the GR4 bass amps. clean at the start but thickens up nicely for the heavy bits.

Radio - dark metal boots?! what have you been eating?! glad you enjoyed it, as ever none of you are really (extreme) metal fans on here but you always give things a go. Cheers!

Tom - aloha! Mad guitars, oh yes, well i dunno, but i like to keep you on your toes.

Doug - you liking the acoustic bit - who da thunk it?!! sorry it was only 30 secs out of 10 mins!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1