Mesa Boogie Cab Clone

Author
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
2014/07/23 19:46:16 (permalink)

Mesa Boogie Cab Clone

Should be in Hardware...BUT...Virtual Cabinets for live performance...

http://capitolguitars.com/p/951/mesa-boogie-cab-clone-speaker-emulator

MESA BOOGIE CAB CLONE SPEAKER EMULATOR
The CABCLONE™ is a passive Cabinet Simulator/Speaker+Mic alternative with a built-in Amp Load. It provides a direct interface of your guitar amp’s Speaker Output to the input of a mixing console, microphone preamp or even direct to your converters (recorder) with or without the need for a speaker cabinet. It’s also a Compensated Headphone Driver that delivers a great sounding, great feeling headphone-friendly version of your amp’s Tone that’s perfect for late night practice sessions or anytime you want to play without others listening.

• Designed and Handcrafted in Petaluma, California, USA
  • Passive Design – No Power Supply Required
  • Built-In Internal Amp Load FOR AMPS RATED 100 WATTS OR LESS (auto-activates when no cable is connected to “Thru” Output)
  • 1/4" “Input” Jack (receives signal from amp's speaker output)
  • 1/4" “Thru” Output Jack (defeats to Internal Load when no cable is connected)
  • 3-Position Cabinet Voicing Switch - Open-Back, Closed-Back & Vintage Closed-Back Cabinet Simulations
  • Variable -30 to +4db DI Output Level Control with presets for Dynamic Mic Level (-30db), Instrument Level (-10db) & Line Level (+4db)
  • Balanced XLR Direct Output (controlled by the Variable DI Output Level Control)
  • Independent 1/4" +4 Line Level “Slave” Output Jack (exact signal from amp's speaker output, non-simulated)
  • Compensated Headphone Output Jack (defeats balanced outputs when used)
  • Phase Switch – Normal (In) or Reverse (180°)
  • Ground Lift Switch
  • Removable Tilt-Back Stand (for use over an amp handle)

$299.00

7 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re: Mesa Boogie Cab Clone 2014/07/23 19:53:21 (permalink)
    Better than a Palmer?

bluzdog
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1928
    Re: Mesa Boogie Cab Clone 2014/07/23 20:14:11 (permalink)
    That looks bad ass!!! I wish it had variable impedance. 8 ohms is pretty common though.

Rocky
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re: Mesa Boogie Cab Clone 2014/07/23 22:05:36 (permalink)
    I wonder if that big gold wirewound resistor is the only thing they swap out to change the *impedance* or if they have some sort of impedance thingy in there too?

Looks like they have a transformer for the balanced line out. The "black box" and the black thing that looks like a small choke have me curious to learn more.

ChuckC
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1488
    Re: Mesa Boogie Cab Clone 2014/07/23 22:40:22 (permalink)
    This looks like it could be freaking cool.  Not only to use as a live DI to send the moron running house sound a better feed than the beat up radio shack mic he was going to put in front of my amp, but it would make tracking many bands in my studio easier.  I have a one room studio and usually track scratch guitar and vocals to a click, then let the bassist (running direct) and drummer play to that to keep the room quiet while tracking drums.  If this thing is legit I could track them (with basically their own amps sound) with the drums & bass at the same time.  I generally double track guitars anyway so I would then only have the second pass for guitars + vocal tracks to lay down afterward for most of these local bands.  Looking forward to seeing reviews from folks on this thing.

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    http://www.everythingiam.net/
    http://www.stormroomstudios.com
    Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Mesa Boogie Cab Clone 2014/07/24 12:11:02 (permalink)
    Can't wait to give this a whirl...

I've got an Engle Ironball that's a great little head with power-soak...
    That been working well (for me) both live and studio.

If this sounds good (and that's a tall order), it would be a great (affordable) solution for silent guitar tracking.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    ChuckC
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1488
    Re: Mesa Boogie Cab Clone 2014/08/17 20:25:57 (permalink)
    Has anyone jumped on this thing yet?   Being that I have a 1 room studio This would really help if it was decent.  I would always go back and either re-track guitars completely or if the tones from this were actually good I could use that take on one side and then a mic'd amp panned opposite.  I tend to track live drums and trying to keep the room quiet for drum tracking is always a challenge.  Bass is always DI and is generally very usable with my tech 21 driver.   If the guitarist has pedals or a multipedal for his FX I can run a DI though the tones suck too bad to keep those tracks, but often players are using the distortion & verbs from there Marshalls & Mesa heads..  This could solve that problem and allow them to use "their sound" and still keep the room silent.   I know I am probably hoping for too much in praying this thing sounds killer right off the bat, but it would really help!   Waiting to hear more real world reviews.

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    http://www.everythingiam.net/
    http://www.stormroomstudios.com
    Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: Mesa Boogie Cab Clone 2014/08/17 20:42:51 (permalink)
    I have been a long time MB user. Always loved their stuff. I have used the recording out on my Mk IV with real good results. And have recently picked up a few of their new pedals that came out last year and this year. And these things kick out great tone!

So when I saw this, I started wondering the same thing, how well does it sound?

@bluzdog: It comes in different impedance, 8 and 16 iirc.

@MikeQ: I think they put pics out like that to give you guys (people with know how to build these type of things. Would electronic eng. be correct?) something to wonder about!!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1