Metal - Devin Townsend Cover

Author
jamvanman
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 48
2012/05/02 06:36:41 (permalink)

Metal - Devin Townsend Cover

Any comments on how this mix is sounding would be greatly appreciated.

No vocals sorry - my singing would certainly disgrace Devin even more than my guitar, bass and mixing!

The track is 'Slow Me Down' off his Accelerated Evolution album.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8620240/Slow%20Me%20Down.mp3
post edited by jamvanman - 2012/05/03 18:17:33

8 Replies Related Threads

Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:Metal - Devin Townsend Cover 2012/05/02 09:59:36 (permalink)
    jamvanman - good guitar tones.  Bass is too "stringy" (hyper roto-sounds?).  Drums are too far back.  Nice energy!  Wish there were vocals of any kind!

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Metal - Devin Townsend Cover 2012/05/02 17:23:28 (permalink)
    You have a good start for a rockin' song. The mix sounds good, the tones are right on, and the performances and arrangement work well together. I hope you find that missing vocal because this song deserves a chance.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    jamvanman
    Re:Metal - Devin Townsend Cover 2012/05/03 07:07:54 (permalink)
    Thanks you very much for your comments. Yes, I thought / hoped I had a nice guitar tone, but did wonder whether I may have overdone the rattle on the bass. Will also try taking some room out of the drums, and maybe make them a touch louder. Much appreciated. And yes, some vocals would be great...
    post edited by jamvanman - 2012/05/03 07:12:40
    foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Metal - Devin Townsend Cover 2012/05/03 23:50:35 (permalink)
    I thought the guitars sounded good, as did the percussion except for the kick which was smothered in the bass (and visa versa). Clean that up and I think you will have a great sounding track.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Metal - Devin Townsend Cover 2012/05/04 08:21:22 (permalink)
    Hi there James

Wow - that is some monster tone on those rhythm guitars

One thing I'd do is to try and spread them a little wider though, everything seems to be right down the middle at the moment (except for the short passages where one guitar is panned right). There are parts of the drumkit that are wider than the guitars.

And I really hope you get someone to sing this for you, that would be cool.

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Metal - Devin Townsend Cover 2012/05/04 16:39:42 (permalink)
    nice tone, Devin is a great role model for us mere mortals, on 'Ziltoid' he used EZDrummer, for example...and records a lot of stuff at home. NIce recording, hard to mark sans voix, as that makes such a big difference to mixing, but well played!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:Metal - Devin Townsend Cover 2012/05/05 08:35:44 (permalink)
    I'm a huge fan of the original album this song comes from and really like your version.

It's weird listening to it without vocals tho - I keep hearing them in my head

I thought it sounded good. I think your guitars get a tad overpowering throughout the song but the tones of drums, guitars AND bass IMHO is excellent so I'd say it's a balance thing only and you're done!

And the lack of vocals should be fixed LOL

Well done, I really enjoyed this!

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    jamvanman
    Re:Metal - Devin Townsend Cover 2012/05/10 23:07:50 (permalink)
    Thanks for the encouraging words and very helpful comments.  (Been away for a few days.)

I am a huge fan of almost everything Devin Townsend has done, and love songs with some good riffage (especially if it is not too complicated or fast for me to play). 

@foxwolfen - I do find the relationship between the kick and the bass quite a tricky thing to get right (and partly why I went with such a rattly bass sound - which I may have overdone a touch).  Will have another look at this using the spectrum import thing in GlissEq and maybe tone the kick down a little.

@SteveStrummerUK - both guitars are panned hard L and R but are treated pretty much the same, so maybe I need to use slightly different EQs or something like that.  I also thought they were a bit narrow but was unsure about using a stereo widening thing like Channel tools.  But thank you very much for the comment on the guitar tone.  Being a guitarist that is my first love and probably why I can't help but make them a bit too loud .

@ProjectM - yes, when something like this gets stuck in my head I just have to have a go at putting it down and mixing it!  Would be great if I can find someone to put down the vocals, as well as completing the song, I am sure it would be very good mixing practice, too.

By the way, drums are just SSD4 with a little warming (VCC) and compression on the drumbuss.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1