Meter anomaly with Anderton Collection - FX Chain Preset - KickMaster.fxc

Author
noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
2017/04/26 02:19:08 (permalink)

Meter anomaly with Anderton Collection - FX Chain Preset - KickMaster.fxc

So I discovered yet another great tool in the Sonar toolbox recently, it's an FX Chain Preset in the Anderton Collection for tweaking the Kick Drum called "KickMaster" . . . I love this thing (very well conceived Craig) !, and have used it in a few mixes, but I'm finding it makes the metering buggy. Now maybe it's just how I'm using it ? . . . but here's what I'm getting:

I'm inserting BFD3 for soft synth drums (from my own track template), all drum pieces are using the BFD3 mixer, except the Kick is routed to another track . . . so, in Sonar there are 2 drum tracks . . . one track for all kit pieces, and one track for just kick drum. I insert the KickMaster FX Chain preset on the kick drum channel, and it works as expected. The meters work correctly for the KickMaster (input and output), and the meters on the Sonar kick drum track work correctly . . . UNTIL I STOP PLAYBACK . . . upon restarting playback, the meters do not work anymore (in the preset, or the Sonar kick track)

If I re-insert this preset, all meters work again . . . until playback is restarted. If I save the project, close Sonar and re-open the project . . . the meters never work again. If I save the preset with a different name, and re-insert, same behaviour.

The strange thing is that the kick drum sound is still audible, and responds to the changing of the preset's dialed settings, but it's frustrating that there is no meter reference. Has anyone that likes to use this run into this issue ?

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

7 Replies Related Threads

noynekker
    Re: Meter anomaly with Anderton Collection - FX Chain Preset - KickMaster.fxc 2017/04/28 01:47:49 (permalink)
     . . . bumping this
    So, either no one is using this, or no one cares ?

"KickMaster.fxc" FX Chain Preset is a very useful tool for my workflow, and I would really appreciate some help to see if the metering bug is just the way I am using it, or if in fact there is something wrong with it.
    I usually go to the forum first, but maybe this is a case for Cakewalk support.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Meter anomaly with Anderton Collection - FX Chain Preset - KickMaster.fxc 2017/04/28 15:05:25 (permalink)
    I'll look into it. I use it all the time but don't pay attention to the metering 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Meter anomaly with Anderton Collection - FX Chain Preset - KickMaster.fxc 2017/04/28 22:26:44 (permalink)
    noynekker
     . . . bumping this
    So, either no one is using this, or no one cares ?

Probably no one is using it, I think a lot of people just assume anything they didn't pay for and doesn't have a skeuomorphic interface isn't worth trying  

But I certainly agree it's useful, I've used it in conjunction with the Kick Start instrument I did for Rapture to create about 20 sets of EDM and hip-hop kick drums for the Drum Replacer. It's one of those "maybe Cakewalk will do something with this someday" kinda things.

Anyway I experience a different anomaly, where after click Stop, the output meter keeps going. I suspect it has to do with how the meters in the FX Chain connect to the processors themselves (or more likely, don't connect) to the processors.

If the meters stop working, I suggest turning off the power button on the FX Chain itself and then turning it back on again. That seems to "reset" whatever is happening. But overall, I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes flaky things happen when you have a shipload of processors in an FX chain. As long as it's outputting sound, you're good to go.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    noynekker
    Re: Meter anomaly with Anderton Collection - FX Chain Preset - KickMaster.fxc 2017/04/29 01:49:14 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply Craig

"Anyway I experience a different anomaly, where after click Stop, the output meter keeps going. I suspect it has to do with how the meters in the FX Chain connect to the processors themselves (or more likely, don't connect) to the processors."         . . . yes I've seen this too, the meter hiccups a few times after stop, and after further testing I've found that when I re-open the project it works again, at first . . . if I stop the transport, it still works on continue . . . it just doesn't like it when you rewind back (even a few bars) and try to play again ? Very Strange.

I suspect you're right about too many processors in a chain, I tried what you've suggested about toggling the FX Chain power buttons, but it makes no difference for me.

I've also tested another variation of Kick Drum FX Chain Presets, not part of the Anderton Collection, probably made by Cakewalk, it's called "Kick Drum Life 2.fxc" . . . I get the same metering issues using that one as well, this tells me there is an FX Chain Preset bug . . . or, it just doesn't work properly the way I'm using it ?

Anyways, guess I'll continue to use it, meters or not, it's just that good !
    A great all in one Kick Drum tweaker.
    (FYI, I submitted this to Cakewalk support, though I'm sure they are busy conquering other larger mountains)

easyjoey
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 237
    Re: Meter anomaly with Anderton Collection - FX Chain Preset - KickMaster.fxc 2017/04/29 14:01:48 (permalink)
    Sorry for the basic question, but where is the Anderton collection located? I would like to give them a try.

Thanks

Joe

www.soundcloud.com/angryredplanet

Sonar Platinum, Core i7 950, 6 gig RAM, Win7 64, Echo Layla 24 PCI sound card, MOTU 8x8 / Moog Voyager / Moog Sub37 / Access Virus B / Access Virus TI2 Polar / Roland V-Synth / Elektron Analog Four / DSI Tempest / DSI Pro 2 / Waldorf Q / Roland XV-3080
    noynekker
    Re: Meter anomaly with Anderton Collection - FX Chain Preset - KickMaster.fxc 2017/04/29 15:33:19 (permalink)
    I have it located in E:\Cakewalk Content\SONAR Platinum\FX Chain Presets\Anderton Collection

It should show up when you try to insert an FX Chain Preset
    (if you have it set up in Sonar Preferences - File - Folder Locations - FX Chain Presets)

easyjoey
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 237
    Re: Meter anomaly with Anderton Collection - FX Chain Preset - KickMaster.fxc 2017/05/01 02:16:43 (permalink)
    Thanks. I found them. Oddly, I've never used fx chains. I will give them a try.

Joe

www.soundcloud.com/angryredplanet

Sonar Platinum, Core i7 950, 6 gig RAM, Win7 64, Echo Layla 24 PCI sound card, MOTU 8x8 / Moog Voyager / Moog Sub37 / Access Virus B / Access Virus TI2 Polar / Roland V-Synth / Elektron Analog Four / DSI Tempest / DSI Pro 2 / Waldorf Q / Roland XV-3080
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1