Method for Live Recording (Quickest way to set it up)

Author
patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
2011/01/24 11:00:23 (permalink)

Method for Live Recording (Quickest way to set it up)

I would like to know what methods you use to record Live.  I am trying to set up a Live recording rig using Mackie CR1640.  It has 16 channels via firewire (18 if you count the two mixer otput channels, but I don't use these).

Here is what I do.
Create new Project using template I set up with the Mackie Inputs configured: 16 Channels each input on a single channel.

Then I have to record enable each track (Is there a quick way to do this?)
Then I hit Record (R).  When Recording is completed, I hit stop.  Then Save.  If I record 16 channels for 1 hour, SSave takes about 10-15 minutes.  I wish it were faster, but it is not so when the band is ready for next set, I have to scramble to get the recording set up.  Since I am also sitting FOH, sometimes I don't get it all set up until after the first song starts. 

I need a faster way to do business.  Any Ideas?

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.

4 Replies Related Threads

Psalmist35
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1471
    Re:Method for Live Recording (Quickest way to set it up) 2011/01/24 11:17:20 (permalink)
    I would creat a template, which is what you're already doing, before I even got to the gig.  Set up all 16 channels with names the way you want pre-armed and ready to record.  Save the template.  That in itself will save you lots of time. 

I'm not in front of my DAW so I'm not sure about quick arming of all 16 tracks.  Ctrl-A/click record button on a track maybe?

George Foreman Grill; Ginsu knifes; Clapper; Home Grown Intel i7 -6700K 16G Ram; Sonar Platinum; MOTU 896HD; Tascam US2400; 

My Music
    patm300e
    Re:Method for Live Recording (Quickest way to set it up) 2011/01/24 15:08:17 (permalink)
    George Foreman Grill; Ginsu knifes; Clapper

LOL!  I need these in my studio as well!

I found the short cut for arm all tracks it is CTRL +R (kinda makes sense now that I think about it!)

This was taking the most time trying to manually arm all those tracks.

Typically I am called in to record on the spur of the moment so I don't have time to set up a special template to name all the tracks.  I just take a 16 channel trach sheet with me and pencil in the tracks.  Then when I get them back to the studio I rename them.

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    Psalmist35
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1471
    Re:Method for Live Recording (Quickest way to set it up) 2011/01/25 06:12:07 (permalink)
    patm300e

Typically I am called in to record on the spur of the moment so I don't have time to set up a special template to name all the tracks.  I just take a 16 channel trach sheet with me and pencil in the tracks.  Then when I get them back to the studio I rename them.

Does this mean that when you are called in that you are also doing FOH sound for the band?  Or are you patching into the main FOH rig specifically to just record?

The last live recording I did I patched into the FOH mixer.  That took the most time.  Trying to figure out what was where and getting it into Sonar in the typical fasion the way I expected to see it. Probably took me 1 hr.  I have (2) MOTU 896's 16 analog channels.  It's all too easy to mess it up if you get in a hurry.

George Foreman Grill; Ginsu knifes; Clapper; Home Grown Intel i7 -6700K 16G Ram; Sonar Platinum; MOTU 896HD; Tascam US2400; 

My Music
    patm300e
    Re:Method for Live Recording (Quickest way to set it up) 2011/01/25 16:22:31 (permalink)
    I do both record and FOH.  The Mackie 1640 has a single firewire connection to the PC.  16 individual channels + the two main output channels (which I genrally don't use).

That part is not that bad it is getting all set up to record on the software side.  Now that I know about CTRL +A that will help.

It is always a rush to get things set up!  And I am out of practice now.  Haven't done it for a while.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1