Metronome Click Export - Ping DXi or other options

Author
darkcatalyst
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 25
2014/09/05 12:11:04 (permalink)

Metronome Click Export - Ping DXi or other options

I'm looking to export metronome click tracks - I've seen numerous threads stating it isn't possible with Sonar (which is crazy to me, there's really no way?)  I bought a copy of Ping DXi three weeks ago, but never received the software - I think the site is defunct at this point and the owner has gone dark.

So here's my question - anyone have a copy of Ping DXi they can send me?  Alternatively, is there any decent way to export the click from Sonar?  I'm thinking now I should just play the track and use a mic to record the metronome output, but I can't believe this is the best way.  At least it's a set-and-forget method.  I'm not interested in any method that requires me to manually lay down events, because changing time sigs make that a pain in the ass.  Any guidance would be appreciated!

5 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re: Metronome Click Export - Ping DXi or other options 2014/09/05 12:21:21 (permalink)
    route your click track to the master bus and in your export options, select entire mix or main outs. If your tracks are routed correctly, you can capture your click track.

As far as you asking for an illegal version of a software program, i do not think this is the place for that. Even if you said you bought it, but never received it. Its illegal and your asking someone to break the law. file a complaint with your credit card or paypal and you will get your money back.

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    darkcatalyst
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re: Metronome Click Export - Ping DXi or other options 2014/09/18 13:52:08 (permalink)
    You could have proven your suggestion didn't work with two minutes of testing, but who would do that on an internet forum, right?

For those who are here for the original question rather than to hand out unsolicited legal advice: it seems like a soft synth with a groove clip is the best option.  I used Dimension Pro, created a bar of 4 quarter notes in the piano roll view (I put the first note about a fifth above the others for the "hi" ping).  For the program I went with the Percussion -> Hand Block 1 patch.  You can then select that bar of click notes, hit ctrl + L and drag the end of it across the track, which will cause that bar to repeat as long as you drag.  It will conform to any tempo changes in your track, which is nice.  It will NOT automatically conform to the beat if you have time sig changes from say 4/4 to 3/4 - you would need to create a separate groove clip for the 3/4 feel.  This is a painful process for songs with frequent time sig changes.

Too bad there's not an easier way to do this.  I would request the feature if the Cakewalk feature request form wasn't unavailable (as it has been for months), but I suspect it has been requested many times already judging by the amount of posts about it.  I don't know the architecture of the software, but if the click track is so vastly different than "normal" tracks that allowing it to be exported is a complicated problem, it wasn't designed very well in the first place.
    sock monkey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re: Metronome Click Export - Ping DXi or other options 2014/09/18 16:18:38 (permalink)
    CJ 's method works. 
    You simply point the output of the metronome buss at your master bus.
    No metronome buss, make one. 
    In the buss pane: 
    Insert stereo buss
    Name it metronome
    Set it's output to master
    In the metronome options select that buss as the output. 

Lots of us have used this and then panned it to one side for monitoring live. 

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
    Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

dantarbill
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1820
    Re: Metronome Click Export - Ping DXi or other options 2014/09/19 12:07:55 (permalink)
    sock monkey
    You simply point the output of the metronome buss at your master bus.
     Lots of us have used this and then panned it to one side for monitoring live. 

I use this metronome routing all the time.  However, when you export, the metronome is still disabled and doesn't appear in the rendered audio.

Dan Tarbill
    Steve_Karl
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2534
    Re: Metronome Click Export - Ping DXi or other options 2014/09/19 12:44:48 (permalink)
    You could do what I've been doing since probably 2001 or earlier.
    "Roll your own audio metronome"

Of course any metronome setup with this method can be exported by itself or along with any track(s) in the project,
    or of course, muted before export of the final track.

Here's a quick tutorial I wrote on how to with some clicks to download.
    For me it's the ultimate metronome with absolutely full control, even to the point of morphing from a 4/4 feel to a 3 against 4 feel, or from 4/4 to 3/4 etc. for certain passages within a piece, all controlled with envelopes.
    An added perk for me is summing all metronome tracks to a bus, midi learning the mute (on/off) for that bus to a fader on my keyboard, and midi learning the volume for that bus to an other fader on my keyboard.
    http://www.sightsea.com/music/metronome.html

post edited by Steve_Karl - 2014/09/20 23:57:02

Steve Karl
    https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1