Mic Examples

Author
Razorwit
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
2008/08/02 14:51:54 (permalink)

Mic Examples

Hi All,
In response to an earlier post regarding suggestions for a decent affordable mic, I thought I'd do some quick examples of a few of the mics that I own. If you go here you'll find a zip file called mictests.zip. That zip file contains short spoken and sung snippits of some of my mics that you can drop in to Sonar and A/B to hear differences. The zip is pretty big (~54MB) but all the files are 24 bit 48Khz wav files so you can really hear what the different pieces sound like.

Mics I used:
MXL MCA SP1 (seemed to have gotten a lot of press around here lately)
Rode NT1A
Studio Projects C1
Blue Woodpecker Active Ribbon Mic
Neumann U87

and, just for comparison, I threw in a Shure Beta 58

All mics were recorded through a Great River MP-500NV and then through a MOTU 896HD (pres were bypassed) with an external clock. Preamp gain and output were consistant througout the takes (with the exception of the Beta 58) with the input gain fairly low to avoid excessive preamp coloration. No effects were added and volumes were left as is so you can get an idea of how "hot" each mic is in relation to others. All material was recorded in a treated room that is fairly dead.

Keep in mind, the room matters, so YMMV.

Pics of the room and mics:

Hope that helps, and if anyone has any other mics you can post examples of feel free to add!

Dean

11 Replies Related Threads

Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    RE: Mic Examples 2008/08/02 18:18:15 (permalink)
    Checked it out thanx! All those mics sound nice! I was really digging the warmth of the Blue Woodpecker. They are all pretty smooth I must say!

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    pdarg
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: Mic Examples 2008/08/02 20:14:46 (permalink)
    Thanks for your efforts - I really appreciate these kinds of demo's.

The Studio projects C1 sounds surprisingly good for its price.
    Lanceindastudio
    RE: Mic Examples 2008/08/03 04:45:50 (permalink)
    Listened again. They old sound really nice, all will due to record a great pro vocal. Again though, I really like the creaminess of that Blue Woodpecker. of course, the MCA sp-1 really sounds great and 39.99-, man, that is amazing right?

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    Frank Haas
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2490
    RE: Mic Examples 2008/08/03 04:46:44 (permalink)
    yes, thank you for the efford..
    surprisingly I have to admit that I couldn't really hear too much difference between the mics..
    when I directly compare my MCA SP1 with my SP C1 then the difference is very obvious, so I guess the room treatment must be a huge factor..
    Somehow I really liked the Beta 58 - version..
    I'll have to hear through the samples a couple of times just to train my ears..

you have a very nice voice btw.
    Razorwit
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1235
    RE: Mic Examples 2008/08/03 12:52:59 (permalink)
    Hi folks,
    Glad to hear some people are getting some use out of these. It's really interesting to hear opinions about which mics they like and which they don't. When evaluating these I think an interesting thing to do is to place an instance of cakewalk analyst on each track, set resolution to high, select the "max" button and play a section of each take and then compare the the responses.

Lance - I like the Woodpecker a lot, but to me it's a "character" mic. It certainly lives up to it's published frequency response:

and I think it does it in a particularly pleasing way, but it's not my favorite on my voice. I think of it more as a particular tool for specific applications instead of an all-around mic. For example, I heard it on an upright bass a while ago (sadly I don't have examples) and it was ridiculously good. OTOH, to each his own. In fact, that's kind of why I posted these....we're not supposed to have the same opinions.

Frank - I'm actually really interested in hearing what the MCA and the C1 sound like in your environment. Any chance of hearing some examples?

Oh, and thanks for the kind words about my voice, I wan't really looking for outstanding vocal work on these so I'm glad no one is mistaking it for trying to call wolves or a moose in heat...I just hope that I'm more or less in tune and somewhere in the neighborhood of E-Maj. Oh, and if anyone needs vocal work done, I'm available :)

Dean

Lanceindastudio
    RE: Mic Examples 2008/08/04 05:06:54 (permalink)
    I would sure love to try it on vocals. I do a lot of high tenor/alto stuff that I think that mic would sound great on. I will have to try one sometime

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: Mic Examples 2008/08/04 12:22:04 (permalink)
    It is great to hear all of these side to side. The most surprising difference I think the the output level of each mic. The MXL sounded muddy to me, almost as bad as the Shure. Of course the Neumann and the Blue sound like you would expect, big and dynamic. The Rode and the C1 have a very good sound with great detail (esp. the Rode), though lacking in the presence of the Neumann.

Great demo. Thanks
    albert_kawmi
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: Mic Examples 2008/08/04 12:26:38 (permalink)
    thanks for the effort putting this together. i never used to care about microphones much until we recorded our demo borrowing some really nice mics from a friend. ever since, i have been chasing that quality!

in these tests, i think the neumann really stands out, to the point where i would say there is no comparison (on your particular voice/setting). it just is very clear and not dull at all without ever sound bright, to my ears.

the ribbon was nice, but i prefer the Royer 122 we used on backing vocals in the demo (the only other ribbon mic i have ever heard!) it is nit-picking, but i found it a touch bright.

the Studio Projects C1 surprised me. out of these recordings i would probably put it in second place after the Neumann - depending of course on the kind of sound you want. but i am impressed with the clarity of it. i also felt like the proximity effect worked well for this song, countering the slight brightness (is just me?) of the mic at 12" away.

the MXL was very smooth sounding. maybe not as sensitive as the C1 but still pretty nice. very impressive considering it's price.

i thought the NT1A was very dull, which is a useful discovery since i was thinking about getting one!

the beta 58 also sounds good! when we are jamming/practicing i record a shure SM58 through the decent yamaha preamps and it always sounds pretty smooth and clear (i usually sing up close to the mic).

just my opinions. if you want to hear a Soundelux jFET7 (lead vocals) and the royer 122 (backing vocals) in action, check out the myspace below. the track "love in my mind" has some harmonies and ends with some a capella vocals.

thanks again

http://www.myspace.com/nevadabase
    Pentium Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 460GB Hard disk(s)
    Windows XP Home (32-bit), Sonar 7 Producer
    Yamaha 01X, i88X mLAN audio interface
    Creator
    • Total Posts : 170
    RE: Mic Examples 2008/10/05 20:20:13 (permalink)
    Very interesting. I am looking forward to listening when things calm down a bit. Thanks for posting.

Intriguing to here such praise for the Blue Woodpecker. Out of all the ribbons I've heard, it's the one that sounds least like a ribbon and most like a condenser. I personally really prefer, in terms of ones that I've used personally, the Royer R-122V and AEA R92.
    Creator
    • Total Posts : 170
    RE: Mic Examples 2008/10/05 20:24:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: albert_kawmi
    the ribbon was nice, but i prefer the Royer 122 we used on backing vocals in the demo (the only other ribbon mic i have ever heard!) it is nit-picking, but i found it a touch bright.

just my opinions. if you want to hear a Soundelux jFET7 (lead vocals) and the royer 122 (backing vocals) in action, check out the myspace below. the track "love in my mind" has some harmonies and ends with some a capella vocals.

thanks again

The Royer 122(v or otherwise) really does lend itself to backing vocals, doesn't it? In terms of it being a bit bright, I found that it tends to have a lot more of the sound in the mids and high mids compared to say a Coles 4038, where there is a bit more bass and a bit more of the highest frequencies, at least that what was my perception on drum demos. The AEA series seems more neutral than either to my ears and they all have great character.
    SlimL
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Mic Examples 2008/10/07 23:59:17 (permalink)
    I have to ask, do all you guys have such nice work stations? Mine looks absolutely pathetic compared to the few that I have looked at on the website. In my defense I do have to say that I have been out of the loop for a few (6) years and it has fallen into disrepair. I will have to change that. I am lucky that my buddy Roger has always impressed upon me good sound practices and the need for good mics. Slim

So Many Tracks, So Little Time
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1