Mic Technique for Acoustic Slide

Author
Rodar6
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 891
2009/07/11 17:41:08 (permalink)

Mic Technique for Acoustic Slide

Hey,

Does anyone have any experience/tips that they want to part with for recording Acoustic Slide Guitar?

Cheers

Rod
post edited by Rodar6 - 2009/07/11 18:03:05

"Expert in novice advice"  

Sonar PE 8.5.1 (pre -5,6,7,8) - Logic Pro Studio 9.1.6 - Windows 7 32bit - Mac OSX Snow Leopard - MacBook Pro 13" i7Core 2.7GHz Sandy Bridge, 8Gb Ram, Intel 520 SSD - Edirol UA-25 - Blue Woodpecker Ribbon - Rode NT5 Condenser - Shure SM57 --- Fender 52 AVRI Telecaster LH - Ovation Special Balladeer LH.     

8 Replies Related Threads

skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    RE: Mic Technique for Acoustic Slide 2009/07/11 23:30:56 (permalink)
    Not any different than recording a regular acoustic guitar. I personally like a SDC over the sholder of the player, on the body of the guitar...in addition to a LDC on the neck where it attaches to the body. I start with both about 18 inches away, and adjust accordingly if needed.

You would do well to have a glass slide as well as a metal one to check out the difference for your particular song. One usually sounds better depending on the circumstances.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    RE: Mic Technique for Acoustic Slide 2009/07/12 13:47:08 (permalink)
    I find recording acoustic slide guitar (conventional or resophonic instrument) to be one of the most challenging of all studio tasks.

Why?

Glad you asked<G>... the problem with recording acoustic slide guitar is that you have to exaggerate (ever so slightly) the sound of that durned slide. Most folks think they hear a lot more of the slide on the strings sound then they really do, and this has been exacerbated over the years by engineers exaggerating (ever so slightly) the sound. Anyone sense a vicious cycle?

Anyway, as a starting point set up your microphones as you would for any old acoustic guitar recording. Get that sound as you like it. Then, try one of the following tricks:
    1) often it is enough to re-aim the microphone pointed at the neck/body junction -if you are using one- up the neck a bit to capture the sound of the slide on the strings.
    2) if that doesn't cut it consider adding a third microphone. When I do that I usually place it between the nut and the third fret, aimed almost directly down the neck and usually on the sixth string side.

As someone else pointed out, different slide materials create very different sounds. I keep glass, ceramic, and both polished and not-so-polished brass around all the time. I've also had fun playing with aluminum, bone, and even steel.

Have fun!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    RE: Mic Technique for Acoustic Slide 2009/07/14 12:48:07 (permalink)

beer bottle. i used to do that playing live once in a while
    just for kicks. but it actually creats a "thicker" sound
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Mic Technique for Acoustic Slide 2009/07/14 13:04:52 (permalink)
    When you get too much slide noise that's when you need to step out of the box on mic placement. Don't assume the front is the only place you can mic it. Also, if you have a shotgun mic that can let you get some distance without too much room noise. Using a shotgun you can zoom in on the sound from the body and reject the sounds at the neck (like the slide).

The short shotgun for the Sony BetaCam was the best ever for that sort of thing. You might be able to find one on e-bay for $150 or so. There were two model numbers for it, an ECM number and a betacam part number. I'll try to find them and post back.

OK, one of the model numbers was SONY ECM-NV1. You can tell it's for the betacam cause it's got a short attached cord with an XLR plug on it. That mic has a wonderful tone and is a great little problem solver to have around.

There is also a newer one the ECM-673, but I have not used it. It might work just as well.
    post edited by ohhey - 2009/07/14 13:16:34
    Rodar6
    RE: Mic Technique for Acoustic Slide 2009/07/14 14:44:24 (permalink)
    Hey,

I've made a recording and put it on soundclick. I used one mic (ribbon) at the tenthish fret a foot and a half back, then took away the harsh top end with sonars multiband compressor.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7827969

I would be interested in your opinion/s

Cheers

Rod

Sonar PE 8.5.1 (pre -5,6,7,8) - Logic Pro Studio 9.1.6 - Windows 7 32bit - Mac OSX Snow Leopard - MacBook Pro 13" i7Core 2.7GHz Sandy Bridge, 8Gb Ram, Intel 520 SSD - Edirol UA-25 - Blue Woodpecker Ribbon - Rode NT5 Condenser - Shure SM57 --- Fender 52 AVRI Telecaster LH - Ovation Special Balladeer LH.     
    skullsession
    RE: Mic Technique for Acoustic Slide 2009/07/14 19:29:34 (permalink)
    Very nice playing!

The recording sounds very muddy to me...boomy, and very lacking in high frequency detail.

I'd use mic placement to get the frequency balance right instead of trying to fix an EQ problem with a multiband compressor.

Actually, I'd be interested in hearing that file without any effects on it...

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    Rodar6
    RE: Mic Technique for Acoustic Slide 2009/07/14 19:56:07 (permalink)
    Hey Skullsession,

I've got the wav file that is free from effects but it is 15mb in length. Do you want me to send it to you through email.

The problem that I encountered was when I listened back to the mix that I'd made for soundclick (MP3). After converting it each time and listening to it through the pc speakers (to simulate how someone on the internet may be listening to it, I found myself reducing massive amount of top end from the guitar.

Unfortunately I'm away from home studying at the mo, so I don't have my monitors with me.

Let me know how you want the file delivered.

Thanks again for the interest

Rod

skullsession
    RE: Mic Technique for Acoustic Slide 2009/07/15 07:42:59 (permalink)
    PM sent....

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1