Helpful ReplyMic gain question on RME UCX

Author
RishiS
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 224
2017/07/06 19:05:09 (permalink)

Mic gain question on RME UCX

The summary of the issue is I can't hear my voice loud enough through my AKG headphones when I speak to the at2020 mic connected to the UCX.
I end up turning the gain in totalmix to about 1 o clock n also push the mic fader a little below max. But when I do this I hear a lot of environment sound along with my voice.I hear far off sounds n low cpu fan sound amplified to distracting levels.Do I need an headphone amp or better mic or cable or just sound isolation in my studio or is it something else? Thanks in advance
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/06 20:40:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RishiS 2017/07/07 10:13:56
This isn't a gear related problem.

If your studio's background noise is super audible/distracting when setting the mic's gain high enough for actual recording, you've got to fix the problem (noise) at the source.

A mic like the SM7b will pick up less room noise than a condenser... but it won't eliminate it completely.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
RishiS
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/07 10:22:01 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
This isn't a gear related problem.

If your studio's background noise is super audible/distracting when setting the mic's gain high enough for actual recording, you've got to fix the problem (noise) at the source.

A mic like the SM7b will pick up less room noise than a condenser... but it won't eliminate it completely.

Ok that is something I wanted to confirm.
I know it's subjective but how high is the mic  gain set usually for recording.I dial in around 40 to 45db on the gain knob in totalmix to be able to hear my voice (while the mic fader is set  almost to the top)
SF_Green
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1403
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/07 10:28:32 (permalink)
Do you have phantom power turned on for the channel you're using?

AMD FX-8370, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3,  Win7x64 SP1, 16Gb CorsairDDR3-1600, GeForce GTX 950 (390.65), SSD 525Gb (OS), SATA 3 & 1.5Tb, MOTU microlite, RME FireFace 800 (D 3.124, fw 2.77), UAD-2Q, Adam A7X, A-800 PRO, CC121
Cubase Pro 10.0.5, SonarPt-2017.10 (x64), Reason10.2, Live 10.0.5 Suite, Wavelab Elements 9.5.40, Komplete10Ult, POD Farm2.5, Omnisphere2.5, BFD3, Alesis QS7.1, Arturia BeatStep Pro, POD HD500, Alesis ControlPad, ARP Omni, many things with strings. GrSltz My Studio
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/07 11:15:33 (permalink)
Don't forget the built in expander and compressor on the UCX. Use the auto level to set the gain. Raise the level and suppress the noise with the FX.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
RishiS
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/07 12:12:19 (permalink)
SF_Green

Yes I do.
<p>
Jim Roseberry</p> <p>This isn't a gear related problem.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>If your studio's background noise is super audible/distracting when setting the mic's gain high enough for actual recording, you've got to fix the problem (noise) at the source.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>A mic like the SM7b will pick up less room noise than a condenser... but it won't eliminate it completely.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p><br />
<br />Ok that is something I wanted to confirm.</p> <p>I know it's subjective but how high is the mic &nbsp;gain set usually for recording.I dial in around 40 to 45db on the gain knob in totalmix to be able to hear my voice (while the mic fader is set &nbsp;almost to the top)</p>
RishiS
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/07 12:12:21 (permalink)
SF_Green

Yes I do.
<p>
Jim Roseberry</p> <p>This isn't a gear related problem.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>If your studio's background noise is super audible/distracting when setting the mic's gain high enough for actual recording, you've got to fix the problem (noise) at the source.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>A mic like the SM7b will pick up less room noise than a condenser... but it won't eliminate it completely.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p><br />
<br />Ok that is something I wanted to confirm.</p> <p>I know it's subjective but how high is the mic &nbsp;gain set usually for recording.I dial in around 40 to 45db on the gain knob in totalmix to be able to hear my voice (while the mic fader is set &nbsp;almost to the top)</p>
RishiS
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/07 12:14:01 (permalink)
gswitz
Don't forget the built in expander and compressor on the UCX. Use the auto level to set the gain. Raise the level and suppress the noise with the FX.

You mean use the eq to suppress the noise ? Wondering how compressor can do that.
gswitz
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/07 12:59:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RishiS 2017/07/08 05:05:01
No, when you aren't talking into the Mic, the noise floor will be below some threshold. You can use the expander to quiet the Mic when you aren't singing below that threshold.

This is a great way to control feedback when the band stops. Sometimes when the band stops, feedback can occur. So, try it. :-)

I might use high pass on the EQ to reduce rumble. I would not usually try to EQ out noise above 80, except notching for feedback control.

I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/07 15:00:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RishiS 2017/07/08 05:04:24
I have an AT 2020 and yes they pick up everything in the room. I don't use it for my vocals as my room has a little bit of fan noise and I didn't like the way it exaggerated my breathing. I'm using a Beta 58 with much better results for now. Someday I'll find something better but LDC just don't work well in an untreated room...You can make a little soundproof cage out of foam or blankets. 
post edited by Cactus Music - 2017/07/07 16:24:42

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/07 15:10:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2017/07/07 15:56:40
Mics like the SM7b will pick up less of the "room" (less noise as well)...
Still sounds like the OP needs to find ways to reduce the noise (ie: quieter computer fans/etc)... then use gobos/reflection-filter/etc to minimize noise captured by the mic.

The OP could start by recording the noise-floor (as it is now).
Then, apply various techniques discussed here/elsewhere... and re-record the noise-floor.
That would allow direct comparison... and the OP would learn what's effective.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
RishiS
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/08 05:06:02 (permalink)
Ok ...good pointers....let me try some of them. 
JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/09 04:04:24 (permalink)
RishiS
I know it's subjective but how high is the mic  gain set usually for recording.I dial in around 40 to 45db on the gain knob in totalmix to be able to hear my voice (while the mic fader is set  almost to the top)

How much gain do you need? As much as it takes to get a solid level without clipping into your DAW and not a dB less. How much gain you need depends entirely on the mic you're using and the sound pressure level of the source you're recording.

If you're getting a good level into the DAW but its got too much room noise on the track, you've either got to quiet the room down or move the mic to a quieter room and record from there. When I rebuilt my DAW computer, I spec'd everything in it for low noise. The power supply is fanless. The OS and plugin library drives are solid state. The audio drive is a traditional spinning hard drive, but db level was one of the considerations when I bought it. The CPU choice was compromise between raw horsepower and typical operating temperature which allowed me to use a fan that's all but silent most of the time.

Right now the hum from the display on my old A80 is the loudest thing in the studio. I just shut it off when I'm using live mics in the room. 

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
RishiS
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/09 05:54:10 (permalink)
I'm satisfied with the recording levels but the issue really is not  being able to hear my voice in the headphone while recording unless I push the gain high n that causes all the noise to get amplified as well. I guess I have to find ways to isolate the mic.
JohanSebatianGremlin
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/09 14:08:10 (permalink)
Apologies but I'm not quite following. What do you mean exactly when you say you're satisfied with the recording levels? Does that mean they're where they should be i.e. the loudest parts stopping just short of 0db? Or does that mean they're loud enough to give adequate signal level on the track for anything you'll need to do with it during mixing but not necessarily as loud as it could be in the track?

I'm confused because in theory anyway, if the level were where it should be and you then added more gain, you should probably then end up with some signal clipping. Since this doesn't seem to be the case, I would suggest that your signal level probably wasn't where it should have been to begin with.

This further leads me to speculate that if your recorded material was sitting fine in the track at that lower level with no noticeable room noise, I would go ahead and set the gain at the higher level where it really should be. Then just pull the track level back during mixing and most of your room noise should fall back below the noise floor where it was when when you were recording with less gain. If any little bits are still creeping through, you should in most cases be able to control that with a noise gate during mix down*.

Of course if you're trying to record something like an acoustic guitar or a ukulele or even a voice that will be out front with no other instruments behind it during part of the track, you may find the only way to really get that down is to find a quiet room somewhere else in the house, get some long cables and run your mics and headphones there. Having someone else engineer for you is pretty much a requirement in that case but the results are usually worth it.

*I'm not a fan of using gates during tracking. Its way too easy to think you've got good stuff down during the session only to realize later during mixing that your gates were closing too quickly and you've lost important parts of the performance which you can now never get back.

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/09 17:06:18 (permalink)
RishiS
I'm satisfied with the recording levels but the issue really is not  being able to hear my voice in the headphone while recording unless I push the gain high n that causes all the noise to get amplified as well. I guess I have to find ways to isolate the mic.

You can set up the interface in Totalmix to give a high output to the headphones with a lower level going to the DAW.

Set the input gain to where it needs to be to get the tracking level correct. Then click on the label at the bottom of the channel strip and select a headphones output. You can then use both the headphones output fader and the input track's fader to set the headphone level without affecting the level being sent to Sonar.

You need Totalmix s operating mode set to "free" to do this, in that mode Totalmix is a huge mixer with the ability to route different levels of anything anywhere at the same time.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
gswitz
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/09 22:01:36 (permalink)
https://youtu.be/NVa3AyUNGuI

I made a video looking at how to use TotalMix looking at only a single Mic input.

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/09 22:19:41 (permalink)
From my experiences with a Fireface 800 anyway the headphone output on the front of the RME interface are linked to outputs 9/10 from memory. The headphone output does not normally work under normal conditions.  I had to create a buss in my software and route it to outputs 9/10 and then send whatever I wanted to hear to that buss.  I think this might be the issue.

OK I have just checked and the headphones on the UCX are routed to channels 7/8. So basically you won't hear anything in your phones until you send something to outputs 7/8.

The OP may not have read his manual properly. But this is a weird RME thing and I have encountered this before. The phones should probably default to outputs 1/2 instead but they don't for some reason. It certainly fooled for me for a while too!

I am thinking this may be the problem.  While Geoff's video is interesting and useful I don't think it is dealing with this basic issue. The OP is not hearing anything in his phones. Or least I am hoping so.  Once you get this sorted the headphones will blast you with output level.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
RishiS
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/11 20:01:06 (permalink)
The issue really is low levels of my own voice in the headphones when I'm trying to record. Raising the gain n fader levels on the mic input in totalmix makes a lot of environment sound like cpu fan audible.
I tried the expander technique mentioned by gswitz...it does solve the noise issue.Im curious to try what tlw mentioned about free mode in total mix.
Thanks to all for the great tips !
SF_Green
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1403
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/11 20:11:24 (permalink)
This can be easily fixed in TotalMix.  You can send any signal anywhere. And you can save these mixes as Snapshots.  I have a Snapshot saved that routes all channels to headphones - it's one click away when I need it. No need to even open the mixer. I found these very helpful and better than reading the manual (the visual of watching somebody perform the action makes it so much easier to remember for me):

RME Total Mix Tutorials (YouTube)

AMD FX-8370, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3,  Win7x64 SP1, 16Gb CorsairDDR3-1600, GeForce GTX 950 (390.65), SSD 525Gb (OS), SATA 3 & 1.5Tb, MOTU microlite, RME FireFace 800 (D 3.124, fw 2.77), UAD-2Q, Adam A7X, A-800 PRO, CC121
Cubase Pro 10.0.5, SonarPt-2017.10 (x64), Reason10.2, Live 10.0.5 Suite, Wavelab Elements 9.5.40, Komplete10Ult, POD Farm2.5, Omnisphere2.5, BFD3, Alesis QS7.1, Arturia BeatStep Pro, POD HD500, Alesis ControlPad, ARP Omni, many things with strings. GrSltz My Studio
gswitz
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/11 20:22:21 (permalink)
An extra trick is to route your ADAT out to the ADAT in if you don't need it otherwise. This enables parallel compression on eight channels. You can stack EQ and compression. Possibilities are huge.

You end up with three eqs and compressors per track and one on the mains.

Jeff Evans
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/11 21:13:07 (permalink)
The OP has been vague on explaining themselves.  I cannot seem to understand what the problem actually is!  At one point he said no sound in the phones. That is why I suggested the headphone output being tied to outputs 7/8 might be the issue.

So my question to the OP is and can you answer clearly, do the headphones work or not?

And if so and when you crank up the gain for example to record your voice, and you say the background noise is coming up for example my next question is the microphone pointing the correct way around.  If there is a little dot on the microphone or the logo of the brand it should be pointing towards you.

Even in a relatively noisy environment, if you are close enough to the microphone you should be able to easily overcome any background noise. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
JohanSebatianGremlin
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/12 02:05:54 (permalink)
What average signal level are you getting to the record track on the DAW before you raise the gain?
What average signal level are you getting to the record track on the DAW after you raise the gain?

So far the only answers you've given to similar questions have been vague anecdotes like signal is 'ok' or 'enough'. Your DAW has meters. Those meters have numbers. I want numbers. 

gswitz
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/12 03:00:01 (permalink)
@Jeff

I totally laughed when you asked if he had the Mic backwards. Legit question but it cracked me up.

I kinda suspect the op has some fair technical talent (owns a UCX) and is trying to work in a noisy room with the Mic several feet away. That is how I imagine it anyway.

@John Sebastian
In a comment on my video, the op asked why I didn't use the main tracks with auto level. This suggests that he is. It should result in him having plenty of level unless he bumps the Mic and doesn't push the gain back up after. The RME pres have tons of gain and increment in half dBs.

Jeff Evans
Re: Mic gain question on RME UCX 2017/07/12 10:28:16 (permalink)
I have encountered some mics that look just so identical both sides with only the slightest difference and that was almost impossible to see. Except the cardioid pattern was obviously still working better one side than the other. Even the wrong way around if you are close enough the source will still get picked up except the background noise is quite bit louder.

Not taking away the op's technical abilities at all. It can be a very honest mistake and I have done it myself on a few occasions.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1