Mic pre opinions

Author
thunderboxfunhead
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27
2005/09/19 01:42:56 (permalink)

Mic pre opinions

Hi. I just bought (and love) and RME Fireface 800 and now want to add 8 more mic pres to it. I'm thinking the RME Octamic or the Mackie Onyx 800R. Anybody got any experience with either or both of these units? I've got a Mackie 1402 VLZ mixer and don't think too highly of the mic pres in it (plus, you can't bypass the mic pres when you use the line inputs: just resistored across) so I'm curious about the Onyx series. I live in a pretty remote area so I can't just make a trip to my local music store and check this stuff out myself too soon...input is appreciated.
They are roughly the same price: Mackie comes with more options (and more digital out options, at that), but I'm assuming it's made in China versus the RME being made in Germany. I'm not super-political, but it matters a little to me that somebody is actually getting paid a decent wage and still has a job instead of manufacturing going completely overseas. Oh boy, this thread will have at least two kinds of responses, I'm sure! Let the fun begin.

1 Reply Related Threads

tor
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 852
    RE: Mic pre opinions 2005/09/19 02:43:26 (permalink)
    I have the RME Quadmic, the small version of Octa, for my mobile studio, and it's an excellent micpreamp.
    Sounds simply awesome....
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1