Mic rec tech. Help

Author
marcus3
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 521
2011/03/10 22:53:51 (permalink)

Mic rec tech. Help

Hi I got this Sp 33 Mic for xmas and finaly got use it.

Sp33 Mic from guitar center
http://www.guitarcenter.com/New-Gear.gc?internal=1&src=sp+33

Ok 1st gustion i got is when recording vocals How far should mic be from your mouth?
I'm doing more classical R&B type music.
When I rec. my song earlier I wasnt to happy with results of my vocals they sound tiny bit muffle.
and when i rec. i had mic up very close to my mouth. And im thinking is why i had some muffle.
Also my vocals wernt even close to -6bd when played back.

I was thinking of having the mic 1-2 inchs way from my mouth and 1 1/2 inch below me 

appreciate it
marcus

9 Replies Related Threads

marcus3
    Re:Mic rec tech. Help 2011/03/10 23:13:51 (permalink)
    Just read this artical on mic placement for vocals any opions?

Vocals

This is where the art lies (forgetting, for a moment, the somewhat critical role of the vocalist). A good beginning point is to position the mic so that the diaphragm is slightly above and facing the singer's mouth. This not only helps keep the singer's throat open, it also lessens sibilance and plosives.
    Start with a distance of about 6-12 inches between singer and mic, and adjust to taste. If you've got a quiet or breathy singer, having the mic too far away will rob the sound of presence, with the added risk of too much room tone. Bring the mic in close for a present, intimate sound.
    Conversely, the singer who really belts it out can make close miking a real challenge - plosives, excess sibilance, and overload could ruin an otherwise-excellent take. Move the talent back or pad the mic for a better overall sound.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Mic rec tech. Help 2011/03/11 01:25:40 (permalink)
    Marcus,.

if you look at most pro studio vocal sessions the mic is hung above the vocalist head on a boom, angled down as often as not.  The mic usually hangs upside down, the reason being (supposedly) so old tube mics would dissappate the heat up into the air, not the diaphram. 

6 to 12 inches or more is a good distance.  Distance equals natural compression, making the signal differential between the loudest and softest singing smaller.  And yes, that distance will rob the singer of proximity effect - bass boost for cardiod mics.  And yes, you'll get more room tone, which is not a problem for a pro studio but can be a problem in your bedroom.  The distance also requires a better preamp - 80 db or more of easy gain.  That makes it easier to set the preamp level, getting tone and level.

If you are recording yourself you can find the right mic and preamp, but more importantly the right distance/angle for your voice.  Experiment - you ain't burning studio time at home.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    marcus3
    Re:Mic rec tech. Help 2011/03/11 02:01:55 (permalink)
    appreciate it I'm recording in my bedroom. So to close to the mic im going get bad vocal sound?
    So should i get mic stand to hang my mic up side down?

On my mic it says under specs. says punch bass. Could this be problem useing it to rec vocals?
    I'm going try buy preamp but need know if i should look at another mic?
    I cant spend to much on equipment so im in bind right now and it sucks.

AT
    Re:Mic rec tech. Help 2011/03/11 11:31:43 (permalink)
    It doesn't matter how much money you have - there is never enough.

Don't worry about hanging the mic upside down - you need a large and hefty mic stand for that.  From the control room, it keeps it out of the way of the singers face.  Not an issue if you are recording yourself.

If your mic is a cartiod mic - most are - it will say in the manual or have a heart-shaped design (or logo) on the front (most sensitive side) of it.  A cartiod rejects more sound from the sides and rear.  The closer you get to the mic, the more bass it picks up - the proximity effect.  that is another reason pro studios back the singer off.  Many are used to live performance, and "play'" the mic, moving closer and farther depending upon their volume.  This will effect the tone, something you don't want in the studio.  Also small side to side movements will effect the tone, and these are minimised by distance.

What is best for you?  I can't say.  Your mic is probably cartiod patterned, check that.  Then do some tests for distance.  It is easier if you are testing someone else, but just hit record, give the distance and sing some.  Then listen back and find your favorite "sound".  It will depend not just on the tone distance, but the amount room you like, etc.  Rap and punky rock n roll usually get close to the mic, pop and R&B a little more distance, but those are guidelines.  It will depend upon what you like.  And I'd leave the bass punch off at first, then try it.

@

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    marcus3
    Re:Mic rec tech. Help 2011/03/11 15:39:37 (permalink)
    true

And if it not cartiod mic? well i back way round  8-12 inchs.

my mic dosnt have punch bass switch so i cant try diffrent ways.
    but i got cheap mic from walmart i can try see what dose to my vocal
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Mic rec tech. Help 2011/03/11 17:46:04 (permalink)
    marcus3 what you have there is a vocal mike and a cheap one at that. Vocal mikes like the sound source to right on top of the mike. (and loud) It is the way they are designed to work. Using them in a studio situation and from a distance to the source is not the way to go. They don't perform well in that situation. Its like trying to record a vocal with a SM58 2 feet away. Does not really cut it I am afraid.

If its good quality studio vocals you are after then get a decent condenser mike with some sort of reflection filter maybe. You will get a much better result. And you don't have to spend the earth to get a mike either.

Using vocal mikes or dynamics up close does work in some studio situations eg toms/guitar cabs etc but then they are up close and the sound source is loud.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    marcus3
    Re:Mic rec tech. Help 2011/03/11 18:11:11 (permalink)
    Well im hopeing maybe upgrade soon. Right now my teacher dont want me get anythang till i get use to the mic.
    And be comferble singing lol

But i was thinking of getting better preamp maybe if need one. Me him have go over all it.

I just dont want spend and spend if it not going get me no were Still depends on my singing if i dont sing good no point lol
    But i think i do if i work at it more.
    AT
    Re:Mic rec tech. Help 2011/03/11 23:45:47 (permalink)
    Marcus,

after looking at the mic, you will most likely need to close mic it.  At this point don't worry about a preamp.  As your teacher says, get used to the mic and singing with it and see if you like singing.  You can always get another mic later if you do and wish to step up.  And however you sing, it can't be as bad as mine ;-)

marcus3
    Re:Mic rec tech. Help 2011/03/12 00:12:59 (permalink)
    close mic it? True i hold back when i sing so sometimes i dont think i can do it.
    but i think i should sing and let people deciede. thanx for the encourgment lol
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1