Micing a Choir, two mics per section?

Author
randy
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 261
2006/05/13 10:14:19 (permalink)

Micing a Choir, two mics per section?

In July I will have the opportunity to record a choir. The director, teacher has done many recordings and wishes to use two mics per part.

The different parts, soprano - alto - tenor and bass will be seperated into sections to get separation between recorded tracks.

My question, after the tracks are in Sonar what are some ideas to use in mixing the two mics used per part?

thanks for any input,

randy
post edited by randy - 2006/05/14 09:46:59

16 Replies Related Threads

DonnyAir
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1201
    RE: Micing a Choir, two mics per part? 2006/05/13 10:35:36 (permalink)
    I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "per part".

Do you mean that the director wants to use two mics per vocalist? Per section?

I strongly suggest you do a little research regarding multi mic application.

There are ways that you can do so, but you need to be aware of some key issues, the most important of which is phase related issues.

Look into applications such as XY, ORTF, M-S, etc.

here's a few links that will help you get started:

http://www.transom.org/tools/recording_interviewing/200106.stereomicrophones.jtowne.html

http://www.recordinglair.com/record/location/micplace.htm

Although I'm still a little confused as to the "per part" thing though... could you elaborate?

D.
    randy
    RE: Micing a Choir, two mics per part? 2006/05/13 12:00:55 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply Donny, yes it will be Per section. Sorry wasn't very clear about that.

I was at the recording last year (just as an observer) and the director was not pleased with the fellow nor the recording. I was allowed to record the concert later that night and was able to do well enough that he called me to record their CD for this year.

The room will not be a problem, I don't think. It is small stadium seating Performance Hall.

Thanks for the links they will be helpful. I undrestand about phase problems, and will try to not let that occur.

Still when I get the tracks in Sonar, any ideas on mixng the two mics that are used for each section?

randy
    DonnyAir
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1201
    RE: Micing a Choir, two mics per part? 2006/05/13 13:29:29 (permalink)
    Ya know Randy, I think the first thing I would do is to consult with the director on this gig and find out exactly why he is saying he wants this setup. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but it might be a good thing to find out exactly what he wants, or what he's under the assumption of what he'll get using this schematic. That being said, there are a few parameters that I think come into play:

#1 is, of course, the more mics you use, the more chances you have for extraenious noise, delay anaomolies or phasing issues to occur.
    #2 is, how many people are we talking about per section? Is this a big choir with 15 -30 people per section? Or just a few?

As far as mixing ATF, well, there are many options, depending on what it is you want to do.

A stereo array is, for the most part, going to give you depth and space. You might not need to manipulate the tracks much at all. And, if the sections are fairly large, then perhaps two mics in a appropriate array would be your best course of action, because it will help to pick up everyone in that given section, if mic'd correctly.

There are a few things to consider when mixing a live ensemble like this.

Are you looking at trying to maintain a "truth" or integrity in the placement of the performers? That is, are you placing the section where they would be in the stereo field as if it was being listened to live?

Stereo can be much more than just an obvious "left-right" perception. It can have depth too.

It's all going to come down to how accurately you want to replicate the live performance itself, or, how much that matters.

I've done many remotes where I simply used a stereo array on the whole choir/orchestra, (as well as perhaps a stereo ambient array to capture the room itself), then used a single condensor per section, as well as perhaps have a solo mic or two, if needed, for individuals, with great success.

Remember...more mics does not always equal better recordings, and in fact can create potential problems.

That being said, having a stereo config on each section would allow you to, for instance, add some ambience to one side without the other (which can create artificial depth), and can even allow you to add subtleties in the tone to each side, not to mention helping to insure thaty everyone in that section is picked up.

But there are those "purists" who might bristle a bit at hearing a particular section coming out of both sides equally, or the mix recreating inaccuracies in how they are used to perceiving a standard choral setup.

It may indeed work out great... as long as you are very aware of stereo principles like 3:1 rules, phasing, reflection, etc.

I think you need a bit more info from Mr. Director.

just a few thoughts...

D.
    randy
    RE: Micing a Choir, two mics per part? 2006/05/13 21:14:54 (permalink)
    Thanks Donny, you have presented me with quite a few things to look into as well as ideas to use.

I will indeed speak with Phillip, the director and get a little more input from him on what he expects from me. And, if you don't mind point these things out to him that you listed in your post.

Listening closely to a CD he sent me of last years recording in Tennessee, the soprano, tenor, alto and bass are equal in both sides. If there is a solo it is by section and it seems to be brought out by an increase of a db or two. Sounds like some would have reason to bristle.

I am not sure but I think he wants to make sure each section is covered adequately, will have to find out for sure.

I will post again after I find out more from him, maybe you can share a few more words of wisdom then. Again thanks for the links.

randy
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    RE: Micing a Choir, two mics per part? 2006/05/13 22:20:46 (permalink)
    Tell the director his setup is a phasing nightmare. A good decca tree setup with 3 mics or even two really good condensers dividing the choir into thirds will work fine. About 8 feet in the air. A couple of more mics taking in the ambiance of the room and you have all the data you need to get a good recording.

I just think his setup is overkill as I have recorded a few choirs and find, the simpler the setup, the better results.
    bso
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Micing a Choir, two mics per part? 2006/05/14 01:39:49 (permalink)
    I helped out a sound company a few years ago that mic'd a largeish choir of about 40 and they equally spread 5 Re-20's in front the whole assembly.... I thought for sure it was gonna be a nightmare like that.... anyways I ended up sitting in running a spot lite..but threw my dat on the main buss out just to catch some samples... and it came out really well on 2 track. One of those " ya never know till you try it" things. You said in your original post that the director was looking for some separation between sections.....more mics won't offer that but closer micing each section might.
    randy
    RE: Micing a Choir, two mics per part? 2006/05/14 09:43:21 (permalink)
    Thought I would add this, it shows how they were setup last year.

post edited by randy - 2006/05/14 11:05:11
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Micing a Choir, two mics per part? 2006/05/14 15:24:25 (permalink)
    Randy - the choir that I sing in was just recorded recently and the set up they had was very simple - very much like what Donny, bso and middleman were saying.

This is a fairly large choir, we had about 80 total. All of the choir performed in the "choir loft" of the church. The room was really good acoustically. They mic'd us using 2 very large diaphrams mounted about 9' or so in the air directly in front of us and they were at a 90degree angle to each other, with the line of "sight" directly pointing to the middle of each arc of the choir. The choir was placed in a semicircle as most choir lofts are, making probably 1/4 of a circle or less.

Then they had two SD mics pointed directly at the choir, much lower (probably 2-2 1/2' from the ground), but pointing slightly up in the Z axis (probably because we were on "risers" and not flat in the plane with the mics). these 2 mics were spaced about 10' on each side of the pair mounted way above them. I'm sure this fit the 3:1 minimum rule in the configuration that it was done.

that's it. The sections were not separated like you have in your diagram, they were separated just like we normally do on Sunday mornings, but no space between us in the semicircle.

They had one mic set up for soloist out front, they had a percussion guy behind a plexiglass wall with a few mics on him, all instruments were mic'd or direct boxed (we have a full rythm section, grand piano, electronic keyboard, several horns, a violin, a flute, and electronic drums) - but the main thing was the set up for the choir was ONLY 4 mics in the configuration I mentioned.

the sections were NOT blended across the stereo field in the final mix. they were separated pretty much just like they were mic'd and it sounded great.

If you're interested, I could send you a sample and a more detailed sketch of the set up.

unfortunately, since I was invovled in singing, I wasn't able to nose around the set up more than that. I don't know what other equipment they had rigged up or what they were using to record. I do know it was high sampling rate and they had to change out hard drivers at least once during the recording because of filling it up!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    randy
    RE: Micing a Choir, two mics per part? 2006/05/14 20:58:33 (permalink)
    Beagle, yes a detailed sketch and a small sample to listen to would be nice.
    Your post as well as Middleman, bso and Donny are quite helpful. Any ideas are welcome and well appreciated.

randy
    Beagle
    RE: Micing a Choir, two mics per part? 2006/05/15 00:20:28 (permalink)
    I looked at the choir loft again tonight and my numbers were probably off in the last post. this diagram is a little better represntation.

CRAP! Apparently tripod redirects you from the photo link. You'll have to wait until tomorrow for that, too, so i can work around tripod's stupidity. sorry.

You'll have to wait until tomorrow night for the sample. I'm pooped, it's past my beddy-bye time and I have to get up and go to work early in themorning.
    post edited by Beagle - 2006/05/15 00:32:00

randy
    RE: Micing a Choir, two mics per part? 2006/05/15 09:23:43 (permalink)
    That will be fine.

randy
    Beagle
    RE: Micing a Choir, two mics per part? 2006/05/15 21:50:54 (permalink)
    Here ya go, Randy.

Mic placement

4meg mp3 file

randy
    RE: Micing a Choir, two mics per part? 2006/05/16 19:52:35 (permalink)
    Got it Beagle, will take a close listen to it. Everything sounds pretty good though on this set of small speakers on my wifes internet computer.

Thanks for taking the time to do this for me.

randy
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Micing a Choir, two mics per part? 2006/05/16 21:05:39 (permalink)
    RE: miking a choir, what everybody else said.

RE: dealing with the director, always give the customer what they ask for, even if it's ridiculous.

My advice would be to focus your attention on setting up two mics to get a good recording of the whole choir, then set up the other "section" mics as best you can to complement the two "main" mics. Come time for mixdown, just use the two main mics and add in any section mics that happen to help. The client will be happy and they'll have a good recording.

Cheers.
    Beagle
    RE: Micing a Choir, two mics per part? 2006/05/16 22:17:43 (permalink)
    no problemo!

randy
    RE: Micing a Choir, two mics per part? 2006/05/18 08:01:51 (permalink)
    Good idea Yep, thanks.

randy
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1