Micing a drum kit with only 2 inputs

Author
mattplaysguitar
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1992
2008/05/17 09:15:11 (permalink)

Micing a drum kit with only 2 inputs

I only have two mic inputs, that is my biggest limitation. Can't get any more for this project. The music is piano and singing based. We have an AWESOME drummer, so he can pretty much make the drums sound awesome even if they aren't recorded well. The drums are only needed to provide some beat so don't need to be full-on miced and edited and everything.

So, I have a Behringer B1 condenser and an sm58. I was thinking one overhead then the 58 near the kick. I could then use some slight delay/verb or other spatial techniques to give some stereo image to it.

I was thinking of recording in a university student theatre theatre. Not a bad sound in that room, though very wet and bright, as it's designed for vocal projection and loudness. I also have six 5x2 foot acoustic panels that I could use somewhere. Maybe set up drums in the room then surround the drums with the acoustic panels to still keep the natural ambience, just reduce it a bit, then play around with perfect space. Should give it a nice stereo aspect that way.

I may POSSIBLY be able to get two overhead mics for some stereo micing, but then there will be no kick.

So, how do you guys recommend I go about recording this? Effects, micing techniques etc... Looking for a very natural/casual and not in-your-face sound.

Cheers!!
Matt

6 Replies Related Threads

Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Micing a drum kit with only 2 inputs 2008/05/17 18:36:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mattplaysguitar

I only have two mic inputs, that is my biggest limitation. Can't get any more for this project. The music is piano and singing based. We have an AWESOME drummer, so he can pretty much make the drums sound awesome even if they aren't recorded well. The drums are only needed to provide some beat so don't need to be full-on miced and edited and everything.

So, I have a Behringer B1 condenser and an sm58. I was thinking one overhead then the 58 near the kick. I could then use some slight delay/verb or other spatial techniques to give some stereo image to it.

I was thinking of recording in a university student theatre theatre. Not a bad sound in that room, though very wet and bright, as it's designed for vocal projection and loudness. I also have six 5x2 foot acoustic panels that I could use somewhere. Maybe set up drums in the room then surround the drums with the acoustic panels to still keep the natural ambience, just reduce it a bit, then play around with perfect space. Should give it a nice stereo aspect that way.

I may POSSIBLY be able to get two overhead mics for some stereo micing, but then there will be no kick.

So, how do you guys recommend I go about recording this? Effects, micing techniques etc... Looking for a very natural/casual and not in-your-face sound.

Cheers!!
    Matt

Hi, Matt,

That's a very interesting situation you have there. I'm *not* and expert on doing the sort of recording you are going to do but I'm wondering why you'd want to devote one of your two mic's to the kick drum? Are you looking for a huge thumping kick?

If you can access a nice theater, you might even be able to capture a really nice mono sound with just your condenser mic, like they used to do back in the old days of recording. The kick should come through just fine without it's own mic, espeially given that you are only using a piano, vox and drums.

Also, if you do wind up getting access to the two overheads you mentioned, then you might want to use the other two mic's on the vocalists and piano so that you'd have some sort of control over them in the mix. The overheads should give you plenty of good drum sound, assuming that the drums are really not the "main" instrument.

I'll be watching this thread to see what the guys who really know how to handle this situation have to say. I'd like to learn more about this sort of thing, too.

Maybe you'll be able to experiment a bit with your mic placement and ensemble before you do your recording? Then you could find out, for sure, what sound's best for your desired end result. In any case, best of luck in finding the perfect solution to your problem.

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    Jamz0r
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1725
    RE: Micing a drum kit with only 2 inputs 2008/05/17 18:40:55 (permalink)
    You could try the recorderman method, but you would probably want a mic on the kick drum to get any thump.

Recorderman Method
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: Micing a drum kit with only 2 inputs 2008/05/17 22:54:34 (permalink)
    I've recorded small jams and practices with only 2 mics for drums. I'd place the 58 about a foot in front of the kick and aimed a little off axis at the snare and hat. Then place the B1 overhead cardioid aimed straight down but equal distance from the snare as the 58. Eq the 58 for a kick sound with a generous scoop at about 400 hz. Pan each very slightly off center and apply a small room verb on the B1 and dry on the 58. The rest is up to the drummer.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Micing a drum kit with only 2 inputs 2008/05/17 23:22:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Cromberger

ORIGINAL: mattplaysguitar

Cheers!!
    Matt

Hi, Matt,

That's a very interesting situation you have there. I'm *not* and expert on doing the sort of recording you are going to do but I'm wondering why you'd want to devote one of your two mic's to the kick drum? Are you looking for a huge thumping kick?

If you can access a nice theater, you might even be able to capture a really nice mono sound with just your condenser mic, like they used to do back in the old days of recording. The kick should come through just fine without it's own mic, espeially given that you are only using a piano, vox and drums.

Also, if you do wind up getting access to the two overheads you mentioned, then you might want to use the other two mic's on the vocalists and piano so that you'd have some sort of control over them in the mix. The overheads should give you plenty of good drum sound, assuming that the drums are really not the "main" instrument.

I'll be watching this thread to see what the guys who really know how to handle this situation have to say. I'd like to learn more about this sort of thing, too.

Maybe you'll be able to experiment a bit with your mic placement and ensemble before you do your recording? Then you could find out, for sure, what sound's best for your desired end result. In any case, best of luck in finding the perfect solution to your problem.

Best regards,
    Bill

Oops, sorry. When I read the OP's question I thought he was saying he had only two mic's to record the whole ensemble. From the other responses in this thread it appears that he has two mic's that can be devoted to just the drums...... Doh! In that case, I'd certainly try what Rbh said. I apologize for my confusion--I seem to be more confused with each passing day. ;>)

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    IzovAge
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 398
    RE: Micing a drum kit with only 2 inputs 2008/05/18 13:23:58 (permalink)
    I pretty much agree with Rbh but I would put the 58 inside the kick and designate it as just a kick mic. As for the B1, I'd have to experiment with placement. I've found that you can get a really good representation of the kit from just over the drummers right shoulder pointing down at the kick beater. I've had lots of luck with that as a mono drum mic. You could also try it pretty much centered over the kit above the outside edge of the kick kinda pointed at the snare. This also gives a good representation of the kit. Experiment, that's the best advice really.
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Micing a drum kit with only 2 inputs 2008/05/18 14:10:12 (permalink)
    Agreed - one mic towards (or in) the kick and one overhead. I think you'll do just fine with that setup. Will you have the option to experiment at all or will time be limited? Are you recording onto a laptop or what will you be using? Just curious.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1