Helpful ReplyMicro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs?

Author
Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
2017/05/03 21:09:31 (permalink)

Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs?

I was curious if anyone has tried their luck with these Micro form factor computers we're seeing on the market, like the Intel Compute Stick  

To me, this is super interesting for a number of reasons.  With mixers and interfaces doing the AD conversion, it just doesn't seem necessary to spend money on expensive sound cards.  And other than the sound card, why do I need a conventional machine assembled of modular components?  

The RAM is the only player that I could see wanting to upgrade so might be a drawback with these little computers (The Intel is 4 GB of DDR3, which is the same as my XP at home...little bit of a bummer).    

Other than that, what am I missing?  I could leave my DAW disconnected from the internet, and would have no need for any software other than Sonar.  When I leave the house, toss the little computer in the safe and I'm feeling fairly secure, too.  

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/04 10:33:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2017/05/05 09:19:04
If you want a PC the speed of your cell-phone, then the "computer-on-a-stick" is for you.  

The beauty of a desktop is that you can configure it to be *exactly* what you want/need.
The processor speed, the amount of RAM, the drive configuration, etc.

The larger "Nook" machines are basically laptops without the display/keyboard.
Thus, performance is what you'd expect from a similarly spec'd laptop.

If you want the performance of a desktop (in the smallest possible form-factor), you can build a mini-ITX machine.

If you want to experiment with a small/slow computer running Sonar, you can get a Windows tablet (under $200 with keyboard/glide-point).  Attach a powered USB hub (external audio drive and audio interface)... and you can record ~16 channels of audio.  It won't do much in the way of mixing/processing...  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/04 11:24:12 (permalink)
I think it could be possible using an ITX setup. Even though these are usually aimed at gamers you could make use of the external ports to build your "studio" setup albeit it be bit more basic.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/04 12:49:23 (permalink)
Another to beware of (or consider) is the "All in One's" which are basically a laptop with a larger desktop screen built in and external keyboard and mouse.  

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
Voda La Void
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/04 12:58:46 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
If you want a PC the speed of your cell-phone, then the "computer-on-a-stick" is for you.  

The beauty of a desktop is that you can configure it to be *exactly* what you want/need.
The processor speed, the amount of RAM, the drive configuration, etc.

The larger "Nook" machines are basically laptops without the display/keyboard.
Thus, performance is what you'd expect from a similarly spec'd laptop.

If you want the performance of a desktop (in the smallest possible form-factor), you can build a mini-ITX machine.

If you want to experiment with a small/slow computer running Sonar, you can get a Windows tablet (under $200 with keyboard/glide-point).  Attach a powered USB hub (external audio drive and audio interface)... and you can record ~16 channels of audio.  It won't do much in the way of mixing/processing...  

But the ability to spec out my desktop to that precision is a value I'm paying so much for, and is questionable as what I've gotten out of it.  If I build my own computer, as I always have, it's particular drive speeds and sizes, RAM  memory and processor speed are all going to be comparable to an above average machine anyway.  I've never seen my specs that out of whack with a typical fast machine.  It's like I've gone to all this trouble just to get a machine I could have bought already assembled (albeit more expensive, obviously).  

It may be because I'm not running Sonar, so I'm not seeing the need for the computing power like you are.  I'm running Cakewalk Home Studio II on an XP machine, 1.6 Ghz AMD quad core with 4 GB RAM.  That sounds awfully close to this Intel Compute Stick.  Also, consider that I don't do much synth work at all - it's all audio and track FX in my world. 

And that's what I was wondering about these little computers.  If their processor and RAM are already a similar spec I would choose in a conventional DAW machine, then why blow all the money on a conventional machine, then? 

One thing I have to consider also...my mixer uses Firewire.  That's all but dead.  I'm not sure I'm impressed enough with USB 3.0 latency to default to that either, but I have no direct experience with it.  I'm far more interested in Thunderbolt, and I probably have no options for that with a stick computer.  

interpolated
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/04 13:04:13 (permalink)
Usb 3.1 and thunderbolt are instrically linked via conversion meaning you can make use thunderbolt even if you are short or lack thunderbolt. It all seems counterproductive to me price wise unless you are being paid 3 times the average wage to feed your habit.

I have computer stuff.

Voda La Void
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/04 13:36:05 (permalink)
interpolated
Usb 3.1 and thunderbolt are instrically linked via conversion meaning you can make use thunderbolt even if you are short or lack thunderbolt. It all seems counterproductive to me price wise unless you are being paid 3 times the average wage to feed your habit.

Seems to me any Thunderbolt latency advantage would disappear once converting to usb 3.1.  Am I wrong?  Wouldn't I be restricted to the latency of usb 3.1 then?  

interpolated
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/04 13:53:24 (permalink)
Negligible

I have computer stuff.

Jim Roseberry
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/04 19:53:01 (permalink)
Voda La Void

But the ability to spec out my desktop to that precision is a value I'm paying so much for, and is questionable as what I've gotten out of it.  If I build my own computer, as I always have, it's particular drive speeds and sizes, RAM  memory and processor speed are all going to be comparable to an above average machine anyway.  I've never seen my specs that out of whack with a typical fast machine.  It's like I've gone to all this trouble just to get a machine I could have bought already assembled (albeit more expensive, obviously).  

FWIW, If you know what you're doing building/configuring a top-performing DAW (maximum performance and super quiet), there's absolutely no way ANY off-the-shelf machine will be its equal.  
No different than any other high-performance application.
Do auto racing teams race off-the-shelf cars?  
They race custom builds... because they can make the car exactly what they want... and maximize performance.
HP, Dell, etc build machines for a much different user/purpose.

We just sent a custom DAW to Fred Coury (Composer for TV/Film - drummer for Cinderella).
His needs are specific/demanding... 
No off-the-shelf machine would ever fit his scenario.
Dell, HP, Apple, etc would never be able to offer the support he requires.

The beauty of a custom machine is that it's exactly what you want/need.
Nothing more... nothing less

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Jim Roseberry
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/04 20:00:30 (permalink)
interpolated

A USB-C port can carry USB-3.1 or Thunderbolt-3... but (to make use of Thunderbolt-3) the motherboard has to have a Thunderbolt-3 Controller.  Many motherboards with USB-3.1 (via USB-C port) do not.

Thunderbolt provides access to the PCIe bus (externally)
Nothing more... nothing less

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
interpolated
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/04 20:07:19 (permalink)
Glad someone has finally explained this to me because I couldn't really find any real information to do with this. If I upgrade I will loose my PCI slot. So I need an external solution for my Universal Audio plug-ins. I sourced a USB UAD DSP effects although willing to look at alternatives as well.

So essentially the best way to use Thunderbolt is through a thunderbolt interface or be bottle necked over the USB 3.1 interface. Oh grand.

I have computer stuff.

Jim Roseberry
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/04 20:09:23 (permalink)
Voda La Void

Seems to me any Thunderbolt latency advantage would disappear once converting to usb 3.1.  Am I wrong?  Wouldn't I be restricted to the latency of usb 3.1 then?  

Currently, when it comes to round-trip latency... the best USB-3 audio interfaces aren't out-performing the best
USB-2 audio interfaces.  
ie: The RME Fireface UFX offers 4.3ms total round-trip latency at a 48-sample ASIO buffer size 44.1k.
No current USB-3 audio interface matches this... let alone besting it.  

If you're using a Thunderbolt audio interface... with full "PCIe via Thunderbolt" support, you'll see performance equal to using a PCIe card.

If you connect a USB audio interface via a Thunderbolt>USB adapter, yes... you'll be subject to the limitations of USB.

The best PCIe audio interfaces will allow sub 3ms total round-trip latency.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
interpolated
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/04 20:12:24 (permalink)
Tell you what Jim, I'll just ask your opinion before I buy anything....

I have computer stuff.

Jim Roseberry
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/04 20:15:32 (permalink)
Think of Thunderbolt as "external PCIe".

If your audio interface supports "PCIe via Thunderbolt" under Windows, it will perform on-par with PCIe audio interfaces.

Right now, only MOTU and UA currently have "PCIe via Thunderbolt" drivers actually available.
Focusrite is still early in beta-testing.  
If you read the fine print, they currently don't support Thunderbolt-3 connection (which requires a USB-C to Thunderbolt-2 adapter).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Jim Roseberry
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/04 20:16:43 (permalink)
There's a lot of hype about Thunderbolt.
If you go that direction... just make sure you know all the details.
If everything isn't in place... it won't work.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
interpolated
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/04 21:37:35 (permalink)
Far as I can tell and from what I fathomed it's took the place of FireWire in terms of the alternative to usb.

I think if I can get a mobo with all types of port then the issue of having the correct connections will be to a certain extent will be resolved.

Seen an Asus z270 motherboard which has all current standards.

I have computer stuff.

Voda La Void
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/04 22:19:10 (permalink)
Yeah, I've been reading a bit about them and Thunderbolt's apparent 1 ms latency is very impressive, and makes it seem like the perfect solution for rate and transfer time.   Even the latency of this Firewire set up seems noticeable to me when recording live drums.  This will figure into my next build, coming up in the not-so-near future.  Something tells me this will be my last conventional machine, though, the micro pc's are coming...ha ha 

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/04 23:16:59 (permalink)
Check this out!  They claim 32 audio tracks on a $35 brain.  I have this Tracktion Waveform DAW running on Windows.  But it is also cross platform Windows - Mac - Linux, so the same DAW can run on a Raspberyy Pi. 

NAMM 2017: Tracktion's Raspberry Pi Based Audio Apps

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Jim Roseberry
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/05 12:21:10 (permalink)
Under ideal circumstances, Thunderbolt performance will equal PCIe.
It will never surpass the performance of PCIe.

If super low round-trip latency is paramount, then it makes sense to go PCIe or Thunderbolt (just make sure the audio interface has full "PCIe via Thunderbolt" support for Windows).
Running Firewire protocol via Thunderbolt won't offer any benefit vs running PCIe Firewire.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Voda La Void
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/05 13:13:14 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
Under ideal circumstances, Thunderbolt performance will equal PCIe.
It will never surpass the performance of PCIe.

If super low round-trip latency is paramount, then it makes sense to go PCIe or Thunderbolt (just make sure the audio interface has full "PCIe via Thunderbolt" support for Windows).
Running Firewire protocol via Thunderbolt won't offer any benefit vs running PCIe Firewire.

Can I still get PCIe Firewire?  I'll Google and see what's out there.  I need to secure a Firewire solution before it all disappears.  I'm not prepared to trade out my Onyx mixer just yet.  But within the next year or so...it will be replaced and I will be looking at Thunderbolt then.  So, I'm just trying to plan for the next 10 years.  

abacab
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/05 14:37:30 (permalink)
This looks promising.  On Kickstarter now ...

The balanced breakout will be 1/4" (TRS) connectors, which will be more compact then the XLR 1U rack mounts.

This sound card features crystal clear 8 channel output audio, with 6 channels of input audio. Unlike other multichannel solutions, this surround hat only uses the GPIO I2S bus for audio. It doesn't use USB nor does it use HDMI.

We bring to you the audio card (for the Raspberry Pi) which seemed impossible, but now it is done! Push your projects further into un-trodden territory - further then others have gone before.

Whilst this gadget works with the Raspberry Pi, it represents an innovation in the realm of embedded systems. The innovation is at a hardware level, in audio signalling, giving us the ability to retrofit these systems with more then their typically quoted two channels of audio in and out.

https://www.kickstarter.c...-sound-for-the-raspber

abacab
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/05 14:50:45 (permalink)
And then for two channels audio, plus MIDI, there is this ... attaches directly to the Raspberry Pi board!

pisound is an ultra-low latency high-quality soundcard and MIDI interface specially designed for Raspberry Pi pocket computers. Equipped with 192kHz 24-bit Stereo Input and Output driven by the legendary Burr-Brown chips, DIN-5 MIDI Input and Output ports, user-customizable button and bundled software tools, this little board will bring your audio projects to a whole new level!

https://ask.audio/articles/ready-to-test-this-new-raspberry-pi-lowlatency-audio-midi-interface

http://blokas.io/

Funded on INDIEGOGO here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pisound-audio-midi-interface-for-raspberry-pi/#/

Jim Roseberry
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/05 18:45:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Voda La Void 2017/05/05 21:10:04
Voda La Void
Can I still get PCIe Firewire?  I'll Google and see what's out there.  I need to secure a Firewire solution before it all disappears.  I'm not prepared to trade out my Onyx mixer just yet.  But within the next year or so...it will be replaced and I will be looking at Thunderbolt then.  So, I'm just trying to plan for the next 10 years.  

Absolutely...
Numerous companies make PCIe TI chipset Firewire controllers.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
abacab
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/05 19:18:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Voda La Void 2017/05/05 21:10:07
I'm still rocking a 10 year old M-Audio Firewire 410 on my desktop.  My last motherboard did not include an integrated 1394 controller, so I went shopping for a PCIe controller with the TI chipset.

This has worked great so far.  Not bad for $28

Syba Low Profile PCI-Express 1394b/1394a (2B1A) Card, TI Chipset, Extra Regular Bracket SD-PEX30009

https://www.amazon.com/Sy...PEX30009/dp/B002S53IG8

I have used it on Windows 7 and 10.  Be sure to use the Windows driver.

interpolated
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/06 08:44:47 (permalink)
Ironically this aging setup I have does have Firewire. TI I believe.

I have computer stuff.

abacab
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/06 18:09:16 (permalink)
interpolated
Ironically this aging setup I have does have Firewire. TI I believe.

TI seems to be the only FireWire chipset that has proven to be reliable with audio interfaces.

mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Micro Form Factor PC's - Anyone using these for DAWs? 2017/05/08 08:24:39 (permalink)
I have used some onboard Via chipsets in the past with success

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1