Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches

Author
Sir Les
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1182
2013/02/06 13:57:19 (permalink)

Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches

Hello All.

I think there may be a uderlying ethic being promoted by Microsoft to sabotage the APPLE invention and impliment USB over the other firewire 1394a/b interface.

How many people here use firewire port/cards and devices and are having issues with DAWs?

How many people are Using USB devicies and are having Issues with Daws?

I would like to see the results of this thread atlease to address the positives and negitives..so others can make a viable choice before buying in to anything......As it may be that just that sort of underhandedness is goin on between Apple / Microsoft...perhaps?

I saw a forum thread, linking a time bomb in Win xp 64bit that was tied to the windows driver for firewire..and a patch was put out for it.
the bomb was set to defeat the Drives connect to that port....after a certain date, the drives and port would not work....Or something like that.

So it is with this sort of thing...and problems I have had over the many years trying to use Firewire in windows anything with MUSIC SOFTWARE, to be the most unstable platform..so far...oh I did find a few software programs that worked great...but the bigger more powerful ones...I have yet to tame on my setups....could be something to do with that port perhaps?.....well let see by the posts put here....and then we can answer possibly why so many have issues...and perhaps not....worth a try?

27 Replies Related Threads

John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/06 14:12:40 (permalink)
    Firewire, whatever its strengths, is a dying standard. I wouldn't buy any new firewire gear myself now.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    Splat
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8672
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/06 14:20:50 (permalink)
    FireWire works fine for me. You just got to make sure you are using the right drivers. If FireWire is on your motherboard upgrade the BIOS and the chip set drivers. If its an external interface update the firmware and drivers. And of course update you soundcard firmware and drivers. Run windows update as well..

The big advantage of FireWire is that the interface is dedicated. There are too many standards with usb and oftrn they arent implemented well.The firewire standard will be around for at least another 5 to 10 years. USB won't be around forever either.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
    @48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    riojazz
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1337
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/06 14:34:04 (permalink)
    Does your FireWire card have a TI (Texas Indtrument) chipset?  That is essential with some FireWire devices. 

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
    Sir Les
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/06 14:52:21 (permalink)
    You are correct CakealexS...the firewire platform is a good one to use for audio..if it worked well for me..as that was my understanding of it if implimented just for Audio.
    USB has all these things people want to put into or onto that port...like a mouse or keyboard..now being forced by some motherboards removing the ps2 port.....and I have had issues with just that sort of thing, making noise on the audio while moving the mouse.. trying out USB and audio...in the beginning....So I went over to firewire...but have had alot of grief trying to get a stable app and experience with that....oh ACID was working Great on XP..and with Firewire...but as time went on..better more powerful systems with fantastic CPUs came forth...and memory limitations and harddrive capacities abounded.....So I went with that flow of buy and update for multitrack recording ..Never really fixing but always updating....is it fixed YET?..No..Just a update.....and in one of my other posts about being new to sonar, and needing help setting up my computer....I was told to roll back my driver (still waiting on word from the ALLEN AND HEATH tech division for my audio interface) before I do that.

So it is as you say...becareful updates can cause problems sometimes, instead of solve them!....(a good look at X2a seems to have been pre released pyor to proper testing???)  some are saying!= possible proof...?

Not too worried about firewire being out of date...I just want to see if there is any wiggling truth to this sort of thought process about Microsoft's underhandedness in sabotaging Apple devices and or developements, On PC systems, using MS OSs and softwares that utilize em being continually buggy......being valid posibilities?...maybe with some but not others?.....where is the standard go to, to form stability for all..or some.....is where I am directing my next perchase by....cause all this tweaking and castrating of services and such of the OS to make something work...seems kinda crippling that which is necessary to perform under or on....(creating a bug in itself?)..hmmm
    Sir Les
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/06 14:58:48 (permalink)
    Hi Riojazz..to answer your question..No..I am told today that the Lacie 800 card I use uses a Oxford chip...Allen and Heath's forum/help with posts..say: ZED-R16. Firewire chipset compatibility
    There are many brands of FireWire interfaces and ExpressCards.

Apart from the build quality, what you should care about for compatibility is the actual OHCI chipset that they use internally.
    Some manufacturers list the used OHCI chipset, and if they go for a different chipset they change the product name accordingly.
    Other manufactures don't list the chipset at all and therefore we are not in a position to reliably recommend a FireWire interface.

The System tab (Windows only) in the ‘Allen & Heath FireWire’ or ‘ZED-R’ driver control panel allows a utility to interrogate
    your computer's FireWire 1394 OHCI controller and determine its compatibility with the GS-R24 or ZED-R16.

It will report:
    - Manufacturer name
    - Chipset name
    - Chipset revision
    - The number of isochronous contexts for transmit and receive that the chipset supports (if known)
    - Whether the chipset is supported by the DICE driver (supported, limited support, unsupported, or untested)
    - A notes field with any details about compatibility

If ‘Look Online’ is ticked when clicking the Scan button, the tool will retrieve the latest information
    from TCAT in case the chip has been tested later than the release of the driver firmware.

The FireWire controllers that are currently known to work with the DICE chipset used by Allen & Heath recording consoles are:
    LSI (Agere) FW322 PCI
    LSI (Agere) FW323 PCI
    LSI (Agere) FW643 PCI Express
    TI TSB43A PCI
    TI TSB82A PCI
    TI TSB83A PCI
    TI XIO2200 PCI Express
    TI XIO2213 PCI Express
    VIA VT6306 PCI (limited number of channels with some older motherboards)
    VIA VT6307 PCI
    VIA VT6308 PCI
    The FireWire controllers that are currently known to be not compatible are:
    JMicron JMB381 PCI Express
    JMicron JMB382 PCI Express
    JMicron JMB383 PCI Express
    NEC D72870 PCI
    NEC D72871 PCI
    NEC D72872 PCI
    NEC D72873 PCI
    NEC D72874 PCI (limited functionality)

You should avoid cards that use a JMicron, NEC, or Ricoh chipset.
    If you have no chance of confirming which OHCI chipset a card uses before purchasing it, it's best to avoid that card.

As an alternative you will be safe by purchasing a FireWire 800 capable ExpressCard from a manufacturer with a good build-quality reputation.
    This is because at the time of writing there are only a few OHCI chipsets that support the faster FW800 speed and they are all on the recommended list.
    All of the recent ExpressCards with FW800 use either the TI XIO2213 or LSI/Agere FW643 chipset.

Tested FW800 ExpressCards include:
    StarTech EC1394B2
    SIIG NN-000042-S2
    SonnetTech FW800-E34
    Dynex DX-ECFW

Note that if the ExpressCard only has FW800 ports, you will also need an FW800 to FW400 cable.

So as this is a firewire 800 card it should be ok to use with their ZED r16 unit..which is in question about drivers and firewire...although it is not on the list of tested or researched by them...But thanks
    guitardood
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 413
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/06 15:07:15 (permalink)
    Sir Les,
        If I'm remembering your post from yesterday correctly, you have a Firewire HD also?

If you are using the same firewire port for both your audio interface and your audio drive, you might run into issues.  Perhaps adding a secondary port to your machine, so you have one for your audio interface and a separate one for your LaCie HD, might go a long way to resolve your issues.

Best,
    guitardood

P.S. I also found that disabling the Firewire Network driver under device manager helped quite a bit with stability and performance.
    Sir Les
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/06 15:13:29 (permalink)
    Here is what I get when I use the interogator Allen and Heath provide in the driver mixer applet.

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 [6.1.7601]
      CPU(s):
        Processor:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         980  @ 3.33GHz
        Physical:  1
        Cores:     6
        Logical:   12
        L1 Cache:  32 KB   (12)
        L2 Cache:  256 KB  (6)
        L3 Cache: 12288 KB  (1)
      Installed RAM: 16375 MB
      Microsoft 1394ohci.sys [6.1.7601.17514]
      Microsoft ohci1394.sys [6.1.7600.16385] (legacy)
      Microsoft 1394bus.sys [6.1.7600.16385] (legacy)
    Looking for OHCI 1394 Host Controllers...
    1:
      Vendor : (104C) Texas Instruments
      Chipset: (823F) XIO2213
      Revision: 01
      Details:
        Subsysten VendorId: 3412
        Subsystem DeviceId: 7856
        Max # isoch Rx contexts: 4
        Max # isoch Tx contexts: 8
      Max 1394 Speed Capability: S800
      Support:  Compatible, no known issues.
    Done.

So..not sure what is truth...Lacie emailed me today with the oxford chipset answer to my question, and I am waiting on data from them on exaxtly what chip and number.....cause the interogator says texas instruments....see..always something is misleading....I just lost a new grown hair!....lol
    post edited by Sir Les - 2013/02/06 15:23:10
    Sir Les
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/06 15:19:55 (permalink)
    Thanks guitardood...No I do not use Firewire drives..only audio device being used on that port is the allen and heath..as 16 tracks of audio needs the bandwidth all to itself...no 3d video excellerators ,as they claim these video cards cause issues with the drivers and audio.....So no eye candy, and no video 3d excelleration...makes for a plain jain system...then the tweaks..and the on off off on...try this try that..path...So no I do not use them kinda drives on that port....but thanks for trying to point out a possible solution...

Blessings!
    guitardood
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/06 15:28:53 (permalink)
    When I was still using XP, I was having performance issues with firewire and resolved them with Unibrain's firewire drivers (http://www.unibrain.com/download/download.asp).   I didn't need to install them on Win7x64 and I'm sorry I don't remember which OS you're using but you might want to take a look as another possible solution over using the MS provided firewire drivers.

Best,
    guitardood

WDI
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2069
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/06 15:35:21 (permalink)
    My experience with FireWire And Microsoft has been good for both audio interfaces listed in my specs and dv cameras.

I think a problem, as mentioned, is some FireWire chipset manufacturers used by motherboard manufactures didn't follow the Texas Instrument FireWire architecture correctly and has nothing to do with microsoft. But as long as your chipset manufacture lists TI compliance it should not be a problem. 

I helped a friends computer resolve general GUI glitchiness by installing a TI compliant FireWire card rather then using the ports on the motherboard. So it looks as if all the TI chipset stuff may be true. 

As far as FireWire being dead, there still seems to me a lot of current hardware using it. Apple replaced FireWire ports on recent models with the Thunderbolt port. But Thunderbolt is supposed to be backwards compatible with FireWire but an adapter is needed. How well this works I have no idea. 

Sonar 7 PE
    Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
    MSI K8N Neo4-F
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    2 GB PC 3200 Ram
    RME Fireface 800
    Edirol FA-66
    CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
    Sir Les
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/06 19:38:15 (permalink)
    WDI

My experience with FireWire And Microsoft has been good for both audio interfaces listed in my specs and dv cameras.

I think a problem, as mentioned, is some FireWire chipset manufacturers used by motherboard manufactures didn't follow the Texas Instrument FireWire architecture correctly and has nothing to do with microsoft. But as long as your chipset manufacture lists TI compliance it should not be a problem. 

I helped a friends computer resolve general GUI glitchiness by installing a TI compliant FireWire card rather then using the ports on the motherboard. So it looks as if all the TI chipset stuff may be true. 

As far as FireWire being dead, there still seems to me a lot of current hardware using it. Apple replaced FireWire ports on recent models with the Thunderbolt port. But Thunderbolt is supposed to be backwards compatible with FireWire but an adapter is needed. How well this works I have no idea. 

Yes..but trying to pin exact cause for my computer's disabilities and others is like trying to catch one rain drop out of a down poor...it is so convoluted with technical defective probabilities and assumptions so far...

Believing mostly that these things we buy actually work as advertized...if they keep fixing it...is it really stable or finished or a complete product ?....is where I may end up believing more not in believing in them, as I have gone through steinberg in the early years,Atari, then Pc win 95 a,b,c up until win98se...and trashed them...and moved on to win xp and now 7...and it is still being updated as of today...and win 8 is now pushing in..for another round of fix and updates...and ofcourse more money!...and who is left holding the Rat in the end....well people who buy in try to make it work...if they can`t....then a coder may help..where MS will not...as I was just informed someone is trying to fix the very thing broken..is the code..they keep not addressing..or constantly updating to cover up...until the next release...which is then charged for again...and again...and again...which means it is not about stabilty anymore..or making the best of the best...it is about keeping people on the hook while they soak the cash out of pockets....Seems the new trend and policy not spoken or even eluded to...but seems to be...more about updates..then getting it working in the first place as advertized....eh...just too many veriables...I want to try to cut through to find that one culpret...so it can be addressed....cause I am loosing more hair!..and it just started coming back in...
    guitardood
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/06 20:43:17 (permalink)
    Sir Les

WDI

Yes..but trying to pin exact cause for my computer's disabilities and others is like trying to catch one rain drop out of a down poor...it is so convoluted with technical defective probabilities and assumptions so far...

Believing mostly that these things we buy actually work as advertized...if they keep fixing it...is it really stable or finished or a complete product ?....is where I may end up believing more not in believing in them, as I have gone through steinberg in the early years,Atari, then Pc win 95 a,b,c up until win98se...and trashed them...and moved on to win xp and now 7...and it is still being updated as of today...and win 8 is now pushing in..for another round of fix and updates...and ofcourse more money!...and who is left holding the Rat in the end....well people who buy in try to make it work...if they can`t....then a coder may help..where MS will not...as I was just informed someone is trying to fix the very thing broken..is the code..they keep not addressing..or constantly updating to cover up...until the next release...which is then charged for again...and again...and again...which means it is not about stabilty anymore..or making the best of the best...it is about keeping people on the hook while they soak the cash out of pockets....Seems the new trend and policy not spoken or even eluded to...but seems to be...more about updates..then getting it working in the first place as advertized....eh...just too many veriables...I want to try to cut through to find that one culpret...so it can be addressed....cause I am loosing more hair!..and it just started coming back in...

Really feel for ya.  If you'd like, I'll try and help.   First best thing to start would be to grab Speccy ( http://www.piriform.com/speccy) and run it on your system.  Go to File->Save to save a copy of the report once it finishes and either post it here or PM me for my email.  We can try and take it from there if you wish.

Best,
    guitardood

Splat
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/06 21:12:10 (permalink)
    That's easily overcome. Always use the previous version of a major release.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/06 21:56:06 (permalink)
    I've been using two different FW interfaces on two different PCs for 3 years with zero issues.

Don't know if this is the magic recipe, but I disable the onboard FW (regardless of who makes the chipset), and invested in two SIIG PCI FW cards (TI chipset) - cost about $20 each.  Popped them in, using the MS drivers, and they have worked like a charm.

Of course, the quality of the interface drivers play an important role too.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    Sir Les
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/06 22:10:47 (permalink)
    I am now on my XP system...

Well I just pulled the system apart, to get into the heart of what I may have forgotten is in there....So she is not accessable right now to install or download to.....

I have made a very obvious mistake..now that I can see the physical Drives...they all say 3gbps which would means they are Sata II type WD black drives....So it ain't bottlenecking at that point of concern....as I thought they were sata III drives on sata II ports....SO all should be well there then there eh matie?...well as should be as specified..so no problem with them....

What I now notice is the firewire is on a PCI-e Port, and My UAD Solo Is also on a PCI-e port.....does this cause a problem?.

I was about to put in a Sata 3.0 6gbps add on card..to address my Sata drives..and decided to pull the drives out to see for sure what they are..

All PCI-e slots are full...So...eni meani mini moe one of them has got to go?....well I need them both more than the Sata card..as I do not have sata 3 drives to address it...tosses out of mind...reformulates....conquers intent..ponders new stratigies...and loss of dosh...

See I am using SSD as a main drive on sata3 motherboard ports.....going to slower sata 2 drives....(now verified)..is this a problem?...bottlenecking something that is streaming large amounts of Data to them slower drives?

Also Now verified visually...the LaCie 800 firewire does indeed have the TI chip on it..(visual comfirmation)..So that is now addressed as affermitive safe to use...as recommended ...right?

The last thing to do is change the Allen & heath Driver..to the older one...

So...that might be next once I put her back together, again....lol...no duck tape regiured...

Don't feel bad...This is getting to be routinely amusing....I love when people come together to help eachother..even if they cannot...or do not think they are..just coming together can solve a problem sometimes ...sometimes without knowing it is being done...the spirit is healed....so Blessings back to all!.

So bare with me...I am not loosing hair for nothing...and while I have lots to loose...there is no stress anymore..and if there is stress they got wonder pills now....pink they tell me..

What does seem to bother me, is when there are issues with code or drivers...I have no clue what to do other than update or downgrade..or restore point...or wipe it all out and start a new......I would write my own drivers...But the books are way too thick for me to pick up and read with my blurry eyes....

Another problem is why do they write things so small these days?....oh yah to hide behind the almost blind trying to read em, NO doubt.....lol...

Well I am relearning my system visually...and making big changes soon.

I am gonna build another monster...With more of the same old.....wink wink...and I might just do the revert back to previous version...more often than not this time round.

Again thank you all for trying to help...I think I am on the right track with firewire and drivers and MS...cause this has been years in formulation in my head...now posted to see if it holds any water...
    Yes..I am a novice to ...but I have been around the bush...more than you know...and still goin....ah the path ..same old path for me....wonder why?....bad code!...it has been that way almost as long as I have been playing with computers...and it is still goin on today!....so we all know it...and we try to believe in them systems...and we do try to be patient and allow them to address that BAD CODE...and whala...updates!...Hay Xp has updates today for me...see.

LOL
    guitardood
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/06 22:44:05 (permalink)
    Sir Les,
       Couple of things off the top of my head.  Check in your BIOS for the PCIE speeds  (usually found under either northbridge or south bridge settings, don't remember off the top of my head).  My ASUS boards have an option to have the non-graphics PCIE slots operate in either X2 mode or Compatible.  The MOTU PCI-424 I'm using would not function properly in X2 mode which was also the default for the mobo.  Perhaps this could be a problem with your firewire card also?

Also while in BIOS, make sure that you have your SATA controller in AHCI (though you sound like you know a bit about your system, just being thorough) and not compatible or legacy or ATA mode as that could surely cause HD performance issues.  Also, if I were testing with a machine that is open, I might try swapping the UAD and Firewire card slots and see if that makes a difference.  It shouldn't but it certainly could.

Best of luck to you and let us know of your success.

Best,
    guitardood
    Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/06 23:33:53 (permalink)
    Just in case you're not aware of this, only SSDs can profit from Sata III (6gbs) ports. A HDD that says it's Sata III doesn't really mean much as it will never go fast enough to saturate even a Sata II (3gbs) port. So you only need as many Sata III ports as you have SSDs.

And Marvell controlled Sata III ports might not count, depending on the chip used.
    hockeyjx
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 839
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/06 23:46:31 (permalink)
    So it is with this sort of thing...and problems I have had over the many years trying to use Firewire in windows anything with MUSIC SOFTWARE, to be the most unstable platform..so far...oh I did find a few software programs that worked great...but the bigger more powerful ones...I have yet to tame on my setups....could be something to do with that port perhaps?.....well let see by the posts put here....and then we can answer possibly why so many have issues...and perhaps not....worth a try?

I've had the opposite problem. USB interfaces frustrated me. I've had the FW-1884 for years and it has been ROCK SOLID.

I guess everyone's mileage varies.

Intel i7 950 Proc, Asus Sabertooth x58 MB, 2 Crucial 128GB SSDs and Seagate 1TBGB drive, 12GB Corsair 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 Memory, Nvidia GeForece 8400 Dual Monitor vid card
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w Power Supply, Cooler Master Sileo 500

Win 7 64 bit, SPlat 64-bit, Komplete 10 Ultimate, AmpliTube3 and AD2

Tascam FW-1884 and AKAI MPK-49
    Sir Les
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/06 23:52:26 (permalink)
    Guitardood...that could be the ticket...never went there with any techi yet...So I will be rereading the manual again to understand PCI-e speeds...and set that right...asap...this could be my problem...as all my mobos are Asus..and I have alot of em..and another one soon to be built...So that is vital info....thanks.

Well I think I did do the ACHI thing..as the other stuff left to select was Raid or IDE....So that was a easy choice to make...for me.

Sweetwater sound tech David told me to turn off the VT features in Bios (for Protools) and the JMB controller...Did that..and I turned the VT back on last night......Just to see..and I turned on the JMB controller soon after, Installed all the mobo latest Drivers, Updated the Bios...and then turned things off again....Not sure is Sonar is effected by these things?....anyway..onwards and sideways...But I will look into that more later on...as I do not believe in crippling a CPU.

Would just ssd drives be a better option for performance?..they are getting real cheap these days....Just a thought, any chimers on that idea?

Thanks again!..great tips!
    Sir Les
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/07 00:05:35 (permalink)
    hockeyjx

I've had the opposite problem. USB interfaces frustrated me. I've had the FW-1884 for years and it has been ROCK SOLID.

I guess everyone's mileage varies.
    Yes the M audio 1814 and the 610 have graced my xp 32bit systems with great results in Acid Pro 7..and other music software of the time...and I still have the 1814 working flawlessly with that xp system today...although XP is becoming bloated, and sluggish after 5 years of service and MS updates...The CCLEANER mentioned above...FIXED it Today!!!....So Thanks again!!..WOW this Xp system is flying agian.

That Xp system is using a older TI firewire card to...See..I always read up before I buy..and I try to buy the best at the moment of ...But that soon changes when updates are automatically applied...So be careful..things/settings change sometimes when doing so....And uninstalling can leave nasties in the reg.....

So yes I have had some bliss with XP 32 bit and firewire cards with Audio apps....never used the onboard firewire stuff Yet...partly due to my reading into things before I buy em....But one can still get shanghied....and I have been from time to time.
    So buyer beware...is wise to pratice.

The problem now is with win 7 64bit and issues with crashing in record mode..with allen and heath zed r16, Acid mostly (not 64bit) and sluggish performance in Sonar X2a....as I did not read the update list of fixes, I just applied the updates, as I was a new comer, and while downloading the extras given up oneday..I saw the update...So I installed it, with the hopes to oneday get it up and running....which was last week....not very good so far on 10 tracks for one hour or so....very sluggish, and I noticed harddrive performance spikes (which may be the cause of Acid Crashing)
    And that leaves noise on the recordings...in all DAWS!...

So Just tweaking things might solve...Finding the problem or root cause is where I am trying to Solve for...before I build the next one....LOL...testing testing testing.
    post edited by Sir Les - 2013/02/07 00:13:54
    Sir Les
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/07 00:19:44 (permalink)
    Thanks for the SATA INFO...Paul!!
    Sir Les
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/07 00:30:44 (permalink)
    I was told studio grade recordings start with this setting 88.2mghz at 24 bit... I am going to be recording 16 tracks at once..which this Mixing board ZED r16 allows for...but is my system setup right?...is the software capable?...and is the OS tweaked correctly?..and are all my drivers working correctly...like I said so many veriables....so back to the drawing board..with all of your imput..to build it back.

SSDs are new to this system, I put em in last month...and changed the bigger M4 256 for the coursair Performance 128 which was getting full with my love for DAWS THAT WORK WELL...or are suppose to..(protools 9?..nah!..not 64bit so it may be that or some setting?) I will reinstall perhaps on a dual boot drive with win 7 32bit and see if I can crash it....was was simple enough to do in win 7 64bit, Just had to click on the shortcut...and wait for it to try to load up...on a fully tweaked to spec system.....Yah $699.00 and soon after that release of 9, they offered 3 updates, and then 10 came out for a $299.00 upgrade fee...they havent fixed it yet..as I see another patch or update is already with em......So is my theory proving itself?...hmmmm Steinberg all the way to the bank.....same old same old.....But lets try to fix it by finding the root cause...and maybe we won't need updates anymore????..perhaps?
    Sir Les
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/07 11:28:55 (permalink)
    About PCI-E BIOS settings.
    Upon reading the Manual and checking them settings...I do not understand the limited info about what these settings do..and or how to set em up right with what I have installed...

I have a selection to make here pci-e spread spectrum=auto. or diabled...set to auto

pci-e frequency .. 100 or 200.
    set to= 100 setting...as default.

also using xmp bios setting, that takes alot of guess work out of the fiddle.
    no OC .
     speed stepping=diabled

onboard firewire = disabled

Onboard Lan = on and off depending on what I want to do..for internet UPDATES.

Sweetwater sound musical instrument store's Tech "David" Told me, and resent his tweeks in a e-mail, for MS win 7 for Avid's Protools 9.0 setup.

As I was having issues with the m-powered version on XP since version 7 up until 8.5...and wanted to upgrade to the full program, but not the HD version, as ver 9.0 was being tooted as working with WIN 7 and any Audio device...
    ( new ASUS build of mine for audio only for Protools)...So not alot of things going on in that setup...no luck.

I had to remove the redundant software form my system to make space for working rivals now, as I lost interest in trying to make PT 9 work.

One of the tips or tweeks to the bois had me perplexed..turning off the VT Virtualization tech..which is a intel cpu inbedded feature.
    Not sure what uses it, for software developement?...is it necessary to have on?...the defaut was enabled....so...I set it to disable as prescibed...Protools crashed when installing for the first time....which put me into fits of panic..
    As the new very expensive computer system with only Win 764bit and all updates done, went into blue mode... and in trying to install protools 9...was a big worry..So..I wiped out the drive, and started over..Got the forums up, and what do you know..lots of very upset people were there!

So I waited for the updates...As no one seemed to be able to help me...without seeing my specs first...So I was told to install sisoft sandra and post them specs....took a while to learn how to use, and copy to clipboard..and paste in the window...once done, I had no replies!...funny how.. I got more attention when I did not post them specs.

So I got some updates...they were of no help for me...as the same issues became less, but still buggy on occasion it would crash loading up..and a blue crash...So that is not a good thing...told to uninstall, delete the plugins folder....or something like that, and reinstall.....and that did nothing for me either...also waves Plug ins also seemed to cause a problem in my further attemps to set up my DAW for mastering...Now if I go to version 10, I have to buy the new plugin standards....so it is not just 299.00 it is a re hash of all my plug ins...it gets expensive...see?... 

This is where I decided to try Acid Pro 7, while reading up on REASON and RECORD...Propellerhead stuff 64bit...tried the demo...and bought it eventually....works pritty well..had some crashes in the beginning..do not use it much for recording, but the midi stuff in it is fantastic.
    oK...MORE HUNTING.

Someone said Try Sonar x1...and I tried the demo...seemed to work with out issues with Focusrite pro 40...and I installed it...

Being well versed in Acid enough to mix and master...I turned towards that for the now coming clients who wanted to make a demo...Well We got through that , with some positive results using the Focusrite pro 40...But when I got the new ZED mixer in...well the problems got worse...and crashing while recording 16 tracks at high bit rates surely makes a mess on the drives it is being recorded to....right?...so this could cause data corruption on other data saved on that drive....right?...not a good thing to be goin on in house.

So...I need to address this...cause I have now bought in on Reason, and Sonar, and Protools, Fruity loops, Mixcraft, ACID AND SONY PRODUCTS....and I have tried other stuff like mixcraft on xp...and ofcourse my savior Acid pro 7  not working well with Zed...and is kinda buggy in the newer build using more memory than ACID can address, and having it non native to 64bit may cause issues with performance Of 32bit apps....right?

So I think I am stricking stones..making assesments..and finding error here and there....So my system may be part of the problem...

How does one define or resolve it, if they keep changing Drivers, OS inplimentation, Standards, and software coding...?...see the convoluted mess?...very hard to define the cause...So the only way is to ask others who have made the step into blissssss....and try their formulas of setup....it may make things work..or not work...

Just Got my new full tower cases delieverd..and am gonna rebuild the old machine now...I might just move completely to ssd soon..I see one ATA 512 SSD for under $400.00..but I have to read more on em...to see the reviews.
    I think for now, I might go buy a WD sata 3 plater drive of 1tb...to open up the speed limitations on the recording drives...Just to see...as they are cheaper for the testing....if this resolves something of the harddrive performance spikes...it could be the nail I am looking for...to kill the Bugs...Now all I need is a hammer...oh no, forgot, more money tooooo!...see?...

But THANK YOU ALL...Keep posting up intel...and resolves or issue incountered...they help everyone,... if they work or are not known..but revealed!

Blessings!
    Sir Les
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/07 11:46:54 (permalink)
    OH OF OTHER NOTE in TWEEKING.

Harddrive indexing for fast file searching...right click the drive, and find the general page with this box checked....Avid techs say to uncheck it..hit apply...Is this prudent or necessary for Sonar?.
    Splat
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/07 18:28:59 (permalink)
    I turn off the indexing service completely... Resource hog.

Sir Les
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/07 19:54:42 (permalink)
    Thanks CakeAlexs...will do all Drives.

One other question has come up while posting here...and buying sata 3 PCI-E 1x add on card , that I believe I can impliment possibly on the system now being tweaked and rebuilt.
    There are no other small PCI-e 1x slots left, as I have filled em up...But there is a PCI-E 16x/1x slot left unfilled..it is a longer slot that the add on card could go into?, But the manual says I can put scsi, and other cards including ata and such on that slot...16x/1x meaning?....I can put this card in?...seems to have the simular small part on one side, but the other side has fingers on it to, that would go onto the longer end of the beginning of the slot...

Reason being I have 2 x 128gb ssd drives I would like to add into the soup..at full speed ofcourse, and this addition could just help do that.

I bought a sata 3/6gbps 1tb WD Black today for the system being tweaked.
    So that should cover any speed demons on recording performances.

Still doing the rebuild...just some drives to put back in, and she is rebuilt...not exactly as it was at first...

let me know if I can do that add on...and she will be up in a hour...or so.
    Sir Les
    Re:Microsift and USB VS 1394a or b and stable systems or software glitches 2013/02/07 20:07:29 (permalink)
    Just did a google on the PCI-e 16x/1x..seems it is a go go go...So I will grow more hair now...LOL.

Thanks.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1