Midi Capabilities

Author
mikeyboard
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
2014/03/15 16:44:38 (permalink)

Midi Capabilities

Allright I'm probably pushing my luck but I'm trying to use a Yamaha keyboard (Clavinova CVP-5) circa 1985 aprox. As a controler to connect to my computer using windows XP version3. Both have midi in and out ports. The computer uses a Creative labs box for the midi connections (model SB-0510) It has a pretty good creative labs sound card as well. I seem to be able to record as it does show up on the computer but I can,t get it to play back through the computer or keyboard. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mike.

2 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Midi Capabilities 2014/03/15 20:35:59 (permalink)
    Did you check that the device is showing as the MIDI in and the MIDI out under the midi options dialog? 
    It often defaults to mswavetable when using MME driver mode. Did you install the ASIO drivers for it, If you can find them still or still have the original CD. 

I have the Audigy II SB card which is similar to yours, but the drivers where terrible and I gave up and bought a better audio interface as a result. 

The Yamaha is still a great old keyboard and will work fine as a controller. I'd use True Pianos or a VST as the sound they made is very outdated and not up to modern day standards. 
    Just insert a piano soft synth in Cakewalk and use that for playback. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: Midi Capabilities 2014/03/18 22:38:28 (permalink)
    You have to send the Midi output to the port you want to use in Options -> Midi Devices - either your keyboard or the built-in software synth of Microsoft's GS Wavetable Synth. Then you mark the Instruments also in the Options -> Instruments ( in case you have an *.ins file with the instruments definition like Roland would provide if using say the Roland GS general midi hardware unit).
    If using your synth keyboard and it has Performance mode, then a Performance for all 16 channels of midi would be saved on your synth keyboard and then you could perhaps send data into the computer with a System Exclusive message and have it set when sending it back to your musical keyboard, or the easy way of remembering what Performance you had set up on the musical keyboard and put your synth in Performance Mode with that particular Performance and then play the song on the computer and have the output of Sonar from Options -> Midi devices set to your musical keyboard and everything would go back to your synthesizer to play the music.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1